Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/21/2022 11:33:00 AM EDT
I've been out of the front-end game for a while but I'm familiar with its concepts.

I've got a couple of apps with server-rendered html pages that I want to replace with live, streaming updates.

Is implementing a web socket still the recommended way to do this for server->browser push data?

Requirements:

* Active github project/support
* Easy to write and run unit tests (I have tdd/xp leanings)
* Easy integration with web sockets (or its alternative) server-side events

Preferences:

* I like static typing / static analysis so TypeScript or PureScript based frameworks would be considered. Regular JavaScript is fine also.
* No blatant liberal messaging in the documentation, such as for the violent felonious domestic terrorist group BLM

Combinations of libraries/frameworks are fine too (don't need an all-in-one).

Some data will be slow (like updates from a monitoring app), and some will be fast and heavy (like stock options). So the framework can't be a slouch in a modern browser (luckily most browsers pre-compile JS now and we're not in the early 2010s where only Chrome did).

...edit 1: replace ws with sse

Web Sockets vs. Server Side Events

...edit 2:

looks like react, vue, angular, and ember are both established and popular. React was created by Facebook, Angular by Google. Angular has political stuff on it. Not that I don't oppose Russia's invasion, but if they're political about one thing they'll be political about something else too later.

I think I'm going to give vue.js a shot.

What are people's experiences with vue.js - particularly with automated / unit testing? What kind of testing frameworks and runners should I be looking at if I want to run tests with Jenkins or TeamCity or something else?
Link Posted: 4/22/2022 9:44:34 PM EDT
[#1]
I got vue.js working with server side events with a flask/gunicorn python server.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top