Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/18/2022 11:07:59 AM EDT
I have a new laptop that came with 12GB of generic DDR4 RAM.

Not good enough plus it sets off OCD-like feelings in me.
Ryzen 5700U (8 cores/16 threads)
Windows 11

Mainly used for:
Internet Browsing
MS Office

Occasional use:
Video Editing
Photoshop

Would you get:
16GB (8x2) DDR4 PC3200 $73
or
32GB (16x2) DDR PC3200 $134

I feel like 16GB is probably enough, and I don't want to waste money. Any experience using a laptop with 16 or 32 GB of RAM?
Link Posted: 4/18/2022 11:12:52 AM EDT
[#1]
I'm not sure a 4GB increase would be enough for you to really feel good about your upgrade. I think you'd want more when doing your processing and editing. I would go to 32GB.

There's a market for used ram on eBay... You could sell your existing sticks for a few bucks To offset the 32
Link Posted: 4/18/2022 4:31:34 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'm not sure a 4GB increase would be enough for you to really feel good about your upgrade. I think you'd want more when doing your processing and editing. I would go to 32GB.

There's a market for used ram on eBay... You could sell your existing sticks for a few bucks To offset the 32
View Quote

That's a good point. The other thing I am thinking, currently the RAM is not "matched" so upgrading to two identical sticks will allow it to run dual-channel
Link Posted: 4/18/2022 10:18:32 PM EDT
[#3]
What laptop?    Laptops get weird with some makes soddening one stick to the board and have one slot to upgrade...   How much RAM does the laptop support?  

16gig matched running at the correct speed is more then enough for a lot of what you need to do.....  that 12 sounds like it has a 8 mounted to the board with a 4gig tossed in the upgrade slot...

If the laptop supports it, i would do the 32gig if your video editing.
Link Posted: 4/19/2022 1:01:54 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
What laptop?    Laptops get weird with some makes soddening one stick to the board and have one slot to upgrade...   How much RAM does the laptop support?  

16gig matched running at the correct speed is more then enough for a lot of what you need to do.....  that 12 sounds like it has a 8 mounted to the board with a 4gig tossed in the upgrade slot...

If the laptop supports it, i would do the 32gig if your video editing.
View Quote

HP Envy x360 w/ Ryzen 7 5700U
All the videos I have seen it is not soldered on.
Link Posted: 4/19/2022 1:20:28 AM EDT
[#5]
RAM is cheap now.

I just did 32 gig for about 89 bucks on amazon.

I have regrets doing it because I saw the 64 gig for about 50 bucks more.
Link Posted: 4/19/2022 8:31:08 AM EDT
[#6]
I would go with the 32gb because 16Gb is considered base line for max performance, and that CPU's on-board graphics will be
reserving part of that.

Before you buy high performance RAM, be sure that your BIOS supports DOCP/XMP memory profiles. If it does not, then your
new RAM will run at its base frequency which usually 2133 or 2400.

Link Posted: 4/19/2022 9:46:16 AM EDT
[#7]
This is your laptop correct?

Upgrading RAM on HP Envy x360 Convertible

Two slots are available.    I am still trying to find how much RAM and what speed the laptop supports...

ETA: Crucial is showing it supports upto 32gigs at 3200..

Memory Stock is showing the same of supporting 32gig at 3200

Decent video for opening it up
HP Envy x360 SSD Upgrade, Memory Upgrade & Clean Windows 10 Install

And like mentioned above, go with the 32gig RAM as the on board graphics do share system memory.  Also, while you're in there, and depending on the size of the drive, you might want to considering upping the storage since you have it open anyways.
Link Posted: 4/19/2022 11:14:48 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
This is your laptop correct?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FnOGSvnSt_s

Two slots are available.    I am still trying to find how much RAM and what speed the laptop supports...

ETA: Crucial is showing it supports upto 32gigs at 3200..

Memory Stock is showing the same of supporting 32gig at 3200

Decent video for opening it up
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y-P1tCI0abE

And like mentioned above, go with the 32gig RAM as the on board graphics do share system memory.  Also, while you're in there, and depending on the size of the drive, you might want to considering upping the storage since you have it open anyways.
View Quote

I've actually watched both of those videos already :) It looks like opening the back clamshell is a delicate operation (if you want to prevent damage).

Welp I ordered 32 GB of DDR4 and a faster 1TB SSD. Guess while I have it open it just makes sense to do both.
Link Posted: 4/20/2022 3:35:14 PM EDT
[#9]
I am running Cinebench on my (stock) laptop right now with the Ryzen 7 5700U CPU.
Multi-Core: 9358
Single-Core: 1242

By comparison, my beastly desktop (R7 5800X/32 GB) achieved 15288 / 1552 which is 63%/ 25% faster.

Here are the parts I ordered:
Mushkin 2x16GB DDR4 260-pin 3200 MHz
Amazon Link

WD SN770 Black 1TB M.2 SSD
Amazon Link

I realized 1TB is way overkill for this laptop (maybe should have done faster vs. larger?) as most of my docs are stored on the cloud. Then again, SN770 vs SN870 I am not going to see a noticeable speed increase.

Since I am getting a new SSD, that means I'll need to do a clean install of Windows 11.
Link Posted: 4/20/2022 4:13:57 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I am running Cinebench on my (stock) laptop right now with the Ryzen 7 5700U CPU.
Multi-Core: 9358
Single-Core: 1242

By comparison, my beastly desktop (R7 5800X/32 GB) achieved 15288 / 1552 which is 63%/ 25% faster.

Here are the parts I ordered:
Mushkin 2x16GB DDR4 260-pin 3200 MHz
Amazon Link

WD SN770 Black 1TB M.2 SSD
Amazon Link

I realized 1TB is way overkill for this laptop (maybe should have done faster vs. larger?) as most of my docs are stored on the cloud. Then again, SN770 vs SN870 I am not going to see a noticeable speed increase.

Since I am getting a new SSD, that means I'll need to do a clean install of Windows 11.
View Quote

I am not familiar with that RAM. But judging by the reviews, looks like it works as it should. If the RAM doesnt load at the speed listed, check your BIOS for an XMP/DOCP profile that may need to be enabled.  

Better to have more storage available then not enough when you need it.

With the new drive, best bet would be to fresh install.  If you dont have anything you are worried that cant be recovered or re-installed after a fresh install.    OR you could clone the current drive to the new drive, expanding the storage availability of the new drive, and swap the new drive RIGHT in as if its been there the entire time.

I've used macrium a bunch of times when swapping old spinning drives to SSD.
Link Posted: 4/21/2022 12:30:36 PM EDT
[#11]
Teardown complete. I managed not to break a single clip on the back!
Attachment Attached File

Question: Should I reformat the M.2 SSD that I removed? It may have some personal data on it, but 99% of the docs were saved to my One Drive and not locally. I might have to buy something off Amazon to do this, or maybe stick it in my desktop's 2nd slot.

The components I am removing are interesting.
SSD: Intel 670p m.2 SSD, manufacture date October 2021 - 500 GB.  A quality part although not particularly fast, esp. when it comes to write speeds. Still, uses 3D NAND and doesn't suck.
Attachment Attached File

RAM:
Stick 1: SK Hynix PC3200 4GB
Stick 2:  Micron PC3200 8GB
Attachment Attached File

If only thing machine came with two matched sticks of Micron 8GB, I would be fine.

The system was configured with proper speed but mismatched brands and capacities.

One more thing. I found a piece of carpet fiber stuck in the adhesive tape on the back lid. I carefully removed this and applied the tape back. (some was already removed for this pic)
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 4/21/2022 1:11:00 PM EDT
[#12]
Looks like a solid upgrade.  I would blow some dust out of the fans (careful not to over-rev them) while I had the thing open but the dust levels don't look very bad.

The WD Black SSDs are quality, good choice.

Link Posted: 4/21/2022 6:26:15 PM EDT
[#13]
Nicely done!

Question: Should I reformat the M.2 SSD that I removed? It may have some personal data on it, but 99% of the docs were saved to my One Drive and not locally. I might have to buy something off Amazon to do this, or maybe stick it in my desktop's 2nd slot.
View Quote

Is a VERY good idea to erase/format/destroy an old drive that you no longer wish to use. You can use DBAN to do a higher level of erasing if needed.  But seeing as the driving is bad or really that slow, you can also stick it in your desktops second slot, format it and use it as another storage on the desktop.
Link Posted: 4/22/2022 10:35:41 AM EDT
[#14]
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

After installing these parts, I re-connected the battery, hit it with some canned air, and sealed it up.

So it's back up and running. The clean install was a bit more challenging than anticipated because the wifi drivers didn't load and I had to use a USB-C / ethernet dongle to finish installing windows.

I don't think you can install Windows 11 without an internet connection.

Then doing all the software and driver updates took about 30 minutes of installing and rebooting multiple times. Then Microsoft threw a fit when I tried to get office back on.

Weird thing, both of my benchmarks on Cinebench went down about 3% when I ran it this morning.

Link Posted: 4/22/2022 10:44:58 AM EDT
[#15]
Install Windows 11 Without Microsoft Account or Internet

Install Windows 11 Without Microsoft Account or Internet
Link Posted: 4/23/2022 10:18:44 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Weird thing, both of my benchmarks on Cinebench went down about 3% when I ran it this morning.

View Quote

I wouldn't worry to much about that, not from a RAM and storage upgrade. No CPU or GPU was changed so.  You'll notice more snappy-ness day to day use.  Just double check your new RAM is at the correct speed for the sticks and enjoy.
Link Posted: 4/24/2022 12:51:38 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

I wouldn't worry to much about that, not from a RAM and storage upgrade. No CPU or GPU was changed so.  You'll notice more snappy-ness day to day use.  Just double check your new RAM is at the correct speed for the sticks and enjoy.
View Quote

Yep, they are.  Weirdly, the HP bios that comes with the laptop is shockingly bare. There must be some sort of secret keystroke to open it up.
Link Posted: 4/26/2022 12:20:56 AM EDT
[#18]
Laptop feel any different after the upgrades?

You inspired me to update my sons dell laptop from 1 8gig stick to a pair of 8 gig sticks of teamgroup 3200.  :)  

Now no computer within my hands has less then 16 gigs LOL.
Link Posted: 4/27/2022 9:37:24 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Laptop feel any different after the upgrades?

You inspired me to update my sons dell laptop from 1 8gig stick to a pair of 8 gig sticks of teamgroup 3200.  :)  

Now no computer within my hands has less then 16 gigs LOL.
View Quote

Eh, not really. It's been kind of a pain getting my Microsoft all synched up after the rebuild.
Link Posted: 4/27/2022 5:39:15 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Eh, not really. It's been kind of a pain getting my Microsoft all synched up after the rebuild.
View Quote

If you are trying OneDrive to sync... I feel you and bid you good luck with it.  I HATE my work Onedrive!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top