Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/6/2021 11:56:45 AM EDT
Just want to run this by y'all, as i need to buy a computer ASAP as my laptop is no longer working and I'd rather go all in on a PC than buy something to tide me over.

I need a prebuilt PC that will ship within a few days that will allow me to game and stream with reasonable quality.  Looking to spend less than $2000, but willing to pay a little extra if it means good graphics/speed/multitasking.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, my laptop crashed 3 times while I was typing this on my phone.
Link Posted: 4/6/2021 12:03:48 PM EDT
[#1]
Not sure how powerful you want, but you could go hit Dell's site and see what "ready to ship" systems they have for gaming.

I'd roll my own for gaming, but that takes an extra few hours of assembly and OS installation.
Link Posted: 4/6/2021 1:34:34 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'd roll my own for gaming, but that takes an extra few hours of assembly and OS installation.
View Quote

And a few weeks/months trying to source a GPU. Prebuilts unfortunately have the advantage over snipebots and crypto-gougers at the moment.
Link Posted: 4/6/2021 3:10:49 PM EDT
[#3]
Suggest you take a look at "Refurbished" computers from the usual mfrs.  When doing so, consider PSU wattage, CPU, Gfx card, and type/capacity of storage drive.  The larger the case the better, as Gfx cards are not getting any smaller these days.  The reason for "maxxing-out" the refurb computer is that when doing so, it will likely come with all the fans and so forth necessary for the upgrades.

For example, my Dell XPS 8930 re-furb came with I5 CPU.  Upgraded to same power-draw/wattage I7 CPU.  THEN upgraded to higher-wattage I9 CPU, so had to buy an upgraded Dell/Alienware CPU cooler.

A friend of mine is awaiting delivery of an HP refurb, which he "maxxed-out" at my suggestion.  I think he will pay maybe $900 all-up for a damn good gaming computer.  He >>might<< need to spend a little money for RAM upgrades and perhaps a high-capacity SSD, but the fundamental guts are there.

PSU, CPU, Gfx card, and storage drives can usually be retrofitted, as desired.  Critical to upgrading CPU is socket type, Chipset compatibility, and proper cooling.

Concur that "high-end" CPUs and Gfx cards are in short supply nowadays, and bring premium prices when found.  A good "Refurb" computer, "maxxed-out" should serve you very well, and can likely be upgraded when price of desired components comes down.  A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top