Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/26/2021 4:49:49 AM EDT
With the recent censure of conservativism everywhere, can we really trust the updates comming out to our mobile devices? I have a notification on my phone that won't go away asking me to update

I've been a little jaded about updates after they fucked me over back durring the Samsung note 7 explodeing phone debacle (I unknowingly download an update restricting the available battery charge on my device).

Sure we could read the notes of what the updates do. But even then it feels like a play on words could easily give an update permissions to delete apps or information stored on our phones dreamed to harmful for the current political talking points.

Is there anywhere to vet these updates prior to download?
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 5:01:07 AM EDT
[#1]
I doubt anything can be done.
The stuff is already there in your phone to listen even when not in use.

Happens all the time when you give apps permissions.

My wife's phone will pop adds all over after we discuss a topic. And that's when not in use just sitting close enough to hear.

Once adds started popping about trailer hitch mounts for dirtbikes after we discussed getting one.
Another time it was grills for the mopar roadrunner.

And once we discussed a friend that has a possum for a pet .
No shit possom adoption sites and how to care for them started popping up next time she was on her phone.

I learned from her mistakes non of my apps have permissions fo access any files.

So no updates won't and don't matter.
I did however wait till after the 20th to update this time.

But everythimg to listen or turn you in on your fone is pre installed.

Gps, mike, cell triangulation, Wi-Fi. And then people even help them out by turning on permissions when they want to access certain features.

Now think about all the google, amazon, apple, and voice remotes and other crap voice activated people have around their house.

Big brother is watching & listening.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 5:25:01 AM EDT
[#2]
I generally just resist os software updates anyway but they really only let you hold of for so long before you are forced to update in my experience.

If you jailbreak the phone you'll have more control over that kind of stuff but most people have neither the skills nor the inclination to attempt it.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 5:30:48 AM EDT
[#3]
I've unfortunately gotten over the fact the government knows everything about me and what I've read about or downloaded on the net. I'm more concerned with the proverbial 'big tech' putting in an update that deletes apps (like whatever parlors equivalent is now) or something that is capable of deleteing files critical to their ideological beliefs.

Being the test ginny pig on determining is an update is malicious or not isn't to appealing.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 5:48:39 AM EDT
[#4]
What the fuck are you talking about?
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 5:49:30 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

What the fuck are you talking about?
View Quote

Congrats your boy won
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 9:03:59 AM EDT
[#6]
I haven't witnessed it on my family's phones, but we don't authorize any voice controls or social media.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 1:33:32 PM EDT
[#7]
Stop buying Samsung phones, and buy from someone who uses plain vanilla android without all the fancy "features" and other fuckery.

Just friendly advice, not trying to start a phone war.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 2:39:58 PM EDT
[#8]
Not a problem on Android as you can side-load apps and install 3rd party app stores.  Apple's iOS is a walled garden and if they decide to remove an app from the app store you're SOL.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 8:05:25 PM EDT
[#9]
I've been watching reviews of linux phones and it looks like the current environment may be the needed push to get those polished and ready for the non techie consumer.
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 12:10:23 AM EDT
[#10]
Regarding ads, I only see them if I want to.
Pihole and firewall enabled ad adblocker do the heavy lifting.
No ads on YouTube website, app is different story.

But to general point, the phones are already listening and watching and recording everything you do and reporting back to Google, hence the tailored ads.
Link Posted: 1/30/2021 3:11:02 PM EDT
[#11]
It's way too late for that.  You can't trust the hardware or software, and you never should have.
Link Posted: 1/30/2021 3:13:31 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 1/31/2021 4:32:51 PM EDT
[#13]
Phone updates don't mean squat when the application servers are where the fuckery is being done.
Link Posted: 2/2/2021 7:59:32 PM EDT
[#14]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Stop buying Samsung phones, and buy from someone who uses plain vanilla android without all the fancy "features" and other fuckery.

Just friendly advice, not trying to start a phone war.
View Quote
What phones do you recommend?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top