Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/29/2020 9:14:54 AM EDT
This isn't a great video of it, since my iPhone adjusts the exposure as the brightness changes.  But you can see as I scroll the brightness changes.

It doesn't happen only with ARFcom, although it doesn't happen with every website.  I tried a monitor reset.  Didn't help.

If I have an app like Excel windowed, only the browser window changes brightness when I scroll through it.

Laptop has Intel HD GPU with Max-Q RTX 1060.  HDR is on.

Monitor changing brightness

UPDATE 12/29/20:  I turned HDR off in Windows, and the problem disappeared - hopefully for good.
I wonder if my monitor isn't handling HDR properly.
Link Posted: 1/1/2021 7:51:46 AM EDT
[#1]
Could also be a weird dynamic contrast setting or potentially due to your display's local dimming going crazy with HDR.
I don't think too many PC displays have local dimming though.

Edit- Apparently, Windows has an auto-brightness setting on by default. Also, laptops usually have power/performance settings that could potentially do something similar.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top