Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/28/2018 8:22:31 PM EDT
Debating a new setup at work and there's a debate between Qlik and Tableau.

Anyone familiar with both of these able to offer an opinion on things that should drive a choice of one over the other?

I like Qlik. It seems faster, the data loading script language is really powerful, it can serve as a make-shift data warehouse when sourcing data from systems that don't feed into a real data warehouse, handles bursted .pdf and pixel perfect reports. We have a crew of BI reporting people who are doing some work with the older qlik product already. We want to add their newer sense product.

On the flip side, we have a big community of statistics / data analyst types who want to get access to a data viz tool. Tableau seems more user friendly/intuitive for this type of user.

Tableau's licensing model is also easier to understand, and likely less expensive for our user base needs.

I like power BI too, but our two groups are fairly negative on it for some reason. (we don't run microsoft data tools outside of the office suite).
Link Posted: 12/1/2018 12:34:02 PM EDT
[#1]
so I messed with Tableau for a bit last year.

I was working from the side, that we had to present a bunch of data to senior managment.
They had been tracking most of it in spread sheets and it was a pain the change each time someone wanted to see something new.

So tableau offered a quick way to resort or rearrange the data and let them drill deeper if they wanted to see some odd detail we didn't show in the reports, rather than ask us to restructure or send new reports out every qtr.

I was asked to try a couple of different BI tools, that one, microstrategy and I honestly forget the 3rd.

microstrategy was the "dumbest". It wasn't intuitive and it didn't allow drill down based on the data sets.

I really liked tableau but the cost was too much for how we wanted to use it.
For a single licences or even 5 it was fine. But to server host it so people could do more drill down, it was way out for our groups budget. 25k I think.

I believe they do have a version you can test out online with their preloaded data.

I am afraid I don't have day to day use experience.
We decided to build our own app internally based on that cost.
Link Posted: 12/1/2018 9:54:07 PM EDT
[#2]
I've been forced to learn PowerBI, because dogfooding .  It's powerful as long as your data sources are in good order, but the interface sucks and is probably the least intuitive Win32 app I've used in 15 years.
Link Posted: 12/3/2018 11:08:16 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Debating a new setup at work and there's a debate between Qlik and Tableau.

Anyone familiar with both of these able to offer an opinion on things that should drive a choice of one over the other?

I like Qlik. It seems faster, the data loading script language is really powerful, it can serve as a make-shift data warehouse when sourcing data from systems that don't feed into a real data warehouse, handles bursted .pdf and pixel perfect reports. We have a crew of BI reporting people who are doing some work with the older qlik product already. We want to add their newer sense product.

On the flip side, we have a big community of statistics / data analyst types who want to get access to a data viz tool. Tableau seems more user friendly/intuitive for this type of user.

Tableau's licensing model is also easier to understand, and likely less expensive for our user base needs.

I like power BI too, but our two groups are fairly negative on it for some reason. (we don't run microsoft data tools outside of the office suite).
View Quote
I don't have too much substance to offer beyond anecdotal but my previous employer had the largest Qlik deployment on the planet.  Granted that I did not ever interact with system itself, I never heard anyone complain about the product.  Our BI/DW folks were able to create some amazingly effective products out of it.  Their team truly drove our organization.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top