Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/26/2014 2:49:03 PM EDT
I have a lap top I've owned for sometime..the second hard drive in 10 years has going tits up but the
unit itself is in ok usable shape EsPEciALLY want the thing for travel..I have a NEW Toshiba Satllite that is suitable
and would prefer to not chance killing it too soon...so.

can I, a reasonably adept old guy with more than a few tools and a reasonably steady hand, replace the hard drive in a
HP G70-258US?????????
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 3:00:36 PM EDT
[#1]
Usually all you need is a small philips head screw driver, it's pretty easy. On most laptops there is just a panel on the bottom or side that you remove the screws to open and underneath is the hard drive.
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 3:03:22 PM EDT
[#2]
Yes.
Hard drive replacement in a laptop isn't that tough. If you can use a screwdriver you should be able to swap one out.
I found a manual that will help.

Instructions start on page 10.

http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c01523646.pdf

There are probably also Youtube videos that might help
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=650mXGa-kDY

Good luck!
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 3:16:00 PM EDT
[#3]
Are you willing to spend the extra money for an ssd?  Should last a lot longer.

Download crystal disk info and it should say the health of the hdd.
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 3:22:13 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Are you willing to spend the extra money for an ssd?  Should last a lot longer.

Download crystal disk info and it should say the health of the hdd.
View Quote

the drive has crapped out, I meant that and spelled going instead of GONE, got a warning message one day
saying it detected an issue and to do an immediate back up and shut down...I did and it went lights out and wont come up
with anything...not remembering the message, but the drives done...
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 5:23:16 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 6:32:44 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Ssd  is a waste on older hardware
View Quote

Absolutely not true.

Fast disks are always a plus.   I've put SSDs in old machines for people, and 100% of the time, they've been very pleased with the results.

Sure, if the machine doesn't have SATA, you're out of luck, but if it's got SATA, an SSD will make a pleasant difference.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top