Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/27/2002 7:59:39 AM EDT
I want to know what software is available right now to search for and remove spyware from a Windows XP box.

Keyloggers, screen capture software, website logs, etc.

I prefer freeware if possible.

TIA

TRG

[url]http://www.computing.net/security/wwwboard/forum/2241.html[/url]

I currently use Adaware.  I will down load these others as well, any other recommendations?  
Link Posted: 11/27/2002 8:03:38 AM EDT
[#1]
xpantispy  to get rid of the M$ spyware.
adware from lavasoft to get rid of things like gator etc....
Link Posted: 11/27/2002 8:21:51 AM EDT
[#2]
BaNo,

I installed the xpantipsy software.  TY

However, I am still in need of software that will remove the most popular freeware keyloogers, email spies, etc.

Ideas
Link Posted: 11/27/2002 10:23:42 AM EDT
[#3]
I would use ad-aware:

http://www.lavasoftusa.com/

Free, quick, and good.
Link Posted: 12/2/2002 6:19:12 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I would use ad-aware:

http://www.lavasoftusa.com/

Free, quick, and good.
View Quote

Ire,

I also use Adaware.  Bearshare like to re-intall ad software each time it is run.  grrr.

I am still looking for a way to detect if a keyboard is being logged.
Link Posted: 12/2/2002 7:55:33 AM EDT
[#5]

[url]www.lavasoftusa.com[/url]

Link Posted: 12/2/2002 7:59:04 AM EDT
[#6]
Cyrax777,

Thanks.  I am reading the FAQ right now and it looks like it is doing more than just removing Ad software.

Q: What is Ad-aware?

A: Ad-aware is a powerful removal utility designed for Windows 98 / 98SE / ME / NT40 / 2000 / XP Home / XP Pro platforms that scans your system for components of known Spyware/Adware parasites, Malware, Browser hijackers, Scumware, Foistware, and allows you remove them efficiently and safely. If you are new to Ad-aware, we suggest you read the general introduction to the subject, and check the getting started
Link Posted: 12/2/2002 10:25:41 AM EDT
[#7]
I don't want to sound stupid here, but what is spyware and why would I want to remove it?
Link Posted: 12/2/2002 10:35:41 AM EDT
[#8]
Spyware..

Well, it is alot of stuff.  Here is a couple of things that describe it:
[url]http://www.zdnet.com/products/stories/reviews/0,4161,2612053,00.html[/url]

But it can also be hidden software designed to enable a person to read your email, log keystrokes, track your website usage, even turn your computer speakers into microphones that can be used to listen to your converstations.

Backorrifice, and others are pretty nasty.
Link Posted: 12/6/2002 5:57:32 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 12/6/2002 9:17:46 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Ive installed adaware, how frequent do i run it?  Also what other programs do i need?  I read abotu xpanty at the top of the thread but didnt see a link for it
View Quote

I run adaware everyday on bootup.  I do not let it run the deep scan of the registry or the HD.

It just takes too long to do that on every bootup.

What I would recommend is that you run the full suite of scans at least once.  Then reduce the sweeps to a level that you can live with.

Link Posted: 12/6/2002 11:17:41 AM EDT
[#11]
If you just run it everytime you think of it, or maybe once every two weeks, you should be safe.
Link Posted: 12/6/2002 11:36:39 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Cyrax777,

Thanks.  I am reading the FAQ right now and it looks like it is doing more than just removing Ad software.

Q: What is Ad-aware?

A: Ad-aware is a powerful removal utility designed for Windows 98 / 98SE / ME / NT40 / 2000 / XP Home / XP Pro platforms that scans your system for components of known Spyware/Adware parasites, Malware, Browser hijackers, Scumware, Foistware, and allows you remove them efficiently and safely. If you are new to Ad-aware, we suggest you read the general introduction to the subject, and check the getting started
View Quote

Thats scary, now I'm really parinoid about that. What can I do to prevent this, what software do I need to download? I'm getting a new computer sometime soon and it will have Windows XP, any help?
Link Posted: 12/6/2002 4:38:27 PM EDT
[#13]
Zone Alarm [url]www.zonelabs.com[/url]

I've been using ZA since it first came out and swear by it. When Zone Alarm is running nobody talks without permission.
Link Posted: 12/6/2002 4:44:20 PM EDT
[#14]
I just downloaded ad-aware, loaded it and ran it. It found nineteen suspicious files[shock]. Can we trust ad-aware or did it just set me up for them to have total access to my machine? Then again can I trust you? You got me so f$#@ing paranoid I unplugged my speakers cause their web site said my speakers could be reversed and used as microphones. SCARY.[whacko]
Link Posted: 12/6/2002 6:40:33 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Zone Alarm [url]www.zonelabs.com[/url]

I've been using ZA since it first came out and swear by it. When Zone Alarm is running nobody talks without permission.
View Quote

I have used Zone Alarm in the past.  I didn't like it.  Unless you knew what programs required access, which just 'wanted' access and what was/wasn;t an authorized process, it is a little daunting.

Besides, Zonealarm, at least the version I used, did not remove local spyware, keyloggers, screen capture software, worms, etc.
Link Posted: 12/11/2002 10:00:23 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 12/13/2002 9:28:23 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 12/14/2002 3:13:49 PM EDT
[#18]
I run X-Cleaner. Wonderful fast utility for detecting those logging applications and removing them from where they lurk.

[url]www.x-cleaner.com[/url]
Link Posted: 12/27/2002 1:13:04 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Bearshare like to re-intall ad software each time it is run.  grrr.

I am still looking for a way to detect if a keyboard is being logged.
View Quote

Redgoat,
Dump Bearshare and move up to Kazaa Lite, no ads, no spyware. I also use X-Cleaner to find trojans and real spy software like keyloggers and Spector.
Link Posted: 12/28/2002 11:35:03 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 12/28/2002 11:58:15 PM EDT
[#21]
Are you running an up-to-date virus scanner? Key logging and screen capping is trojan/worm/virus territory.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top