Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/11/2013 8:59:51 AM EDT
Hey,

Today I turned on my laptop and it came up fine but a few seconds after loading my desktop vertical red lines have appeared on my screen. It had been hot in my room but my laptop is cooled off and the lines are still there. I did some googling and people were saying that it could be a graphics card failure, but I'm not sure if this matters but when I use my HDMI cable and hook it up to my tv it's fine. Could this hint it's a problem with the screen wiring and not hardware? I have a Dell Studio XPS. HELP!
Link Posted: 9/11/2013 9:09:25 AM EDT
[#1]
Could try reseating the video cable at both ends.  Sometimes connectors wiggle loose, seen that before.  If not that, then it could be the LCD.  
Link Posted: 9/12/2013 7:39:21 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Hey,

Today I turned on my laptop and it came up fine but a few seconds after loading my desktop vertical red lines have appeared on my screen. It had been hot in my room but my laptop is cooled off and the lines are still there. I did some googling and people were saying that it could be a graphics card failure, but I'm not sure if this matters but when I use my HDMI cable and hook it up to my tv it's fine. Could this hint it's a problem with the screen wiring and not hardware? I have a Dell Studio XPS. HELP!
View Quote
Graphics card cable, memory, or chip.

In your case, the heat probably caused the cable to come loose.  

Usually those are VGA over ribbon, where you can lose a channel and get a color line.

You can try updating your video drivers, maybe a recent microsoft patch (there were a bunch) messed it up.  Go to Dell's site and use your service tag to get the proper updated drivers.

(Note, HDMI output won't use the same driver code as the screen will, so it might still be the issue.)

Try tapping on it a bit, or changing the temp (basement?)

Reseating the cable might be do-able on your own, Youtube has procedures for a lot of laptops. Otherwise it's service call or just dealing with it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top