Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/19/2012 6:10:57 PM EDT
I have an external hard drive that has about 1TB of movies. Most of those are in .avi format. I also have some DvD's, (standard format and also some Blue Ray). Does anyone know of an application that will allow me to convert to MP4 and let me rip the movies from disk? What I want to do is put them on my iPad so I can watch them during down time at work.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 6:17:47 PM EDT
[#1]
I use this one it works good for me

DVDFAB
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 6:22:30 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

I have an external hard drive that has about 1TB of movies. Most of those are in .avi format. I also have some DvD's, (standard format and also some Blue Ray). Does anyone know of an application that will allow me to convert to MP4 and let me rip the movies from disk? What I want to do is put them on my iPad so I can watch them during down time at work.

DVDFab is good for ripping DVDs and Blu-rays to the hard drive. Then, you'll need to convert them. Install Handbrake and Vidcoder. Handbrake by itself does pretty well with DVD resolutions. For HD resolutions, use Vidcoder (which uses the Handbrake engine). Encode some short segments first, until you find the right combination of quality and size. Then you can queue them up and start encoding.

If you want to get extra fancy, you can download MetaX, which will let you tag the videos, add descriptions, ratings, etc.

Unless you've got a beastly CPU with lots of cores, plan on a while to encode HD videos.

Link Posted: 11/19/2012 6:29:27 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Quoted:

DVDFab is good for ripping DVDs and Blu-rays to the hard drive. Then, you'll need to convert them. Install Handbrake and Vidcoder. Handbrake by itself does pretty well with DVD resolutions. For HD resolutions, use Vidcoder (which uses the Handbrake engine). Encode some short segments first, until you find the right combination of quality and size. Then you can queue them up and start encoding.    

If you want to get extra fancy, you can download MetaX, which will let you tag the videos, add descriptions, ratings, etc.

Unless you've got a beastly CPU with lots of cores, plan on a while to encode HD videos.

Cool, thanks! My laptop has 16GB RAM, 3GB video, and an i7.
Plus, over here, all I've got is time so that's a non issue.

Link Posted: 11/19/2012 6:49:20 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Cool, thanks! My laptop has 16GB RAM, 3GB video, and an i7.

Plus, over here, all I've got is time so that's a non issue.

The RAM and the i7 are the key. I don't think the video card will affect it. I have a 3770K i7. I can encode a DVD in about 10-15 minutes, sometimes less. A Blu-ray encode down to 720p takes 1-2 hours. Vidcoder has a few insane settings for really awesome quality and decent file size, but it's really computationally demanding. So plan on waiting. Typically, I'll queue up a bunch of them, and then start the batch and go to bed.

Be careful over there!
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 8:06:42 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 5:30:59 AM EDT
[#6]
Handbrake to rip the DVD's, MPEG Streamclip to convert your .avi to .mp4 files.  All are free.  Never messed with Blueray, cant help with that.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 7:15:14 AM EDT
[#7]
freemake is what I have been using to convert to mp4 and it too is free. works pretty well.
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 5:18:22 AM EDT
[#8]
Ok, I went with the DvDFab Ripper for blue ray and standard Dvd's. I'm tinkering with the blue ray version of Walking Dead season 2. So far I've only tried disk one and it does rip it and I can play it, BUT, it has the subtitles. I've looked through the settings and I cant seem to be able to rip it without subtitles. Anyone familiar with DvDFab have any idea how to do this? I just updated to version 9.0.1.0

The interface is pretty good and Ive checked all the audio and subtitle areas but so far no luck.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top