Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/5/2012 10:45:24 AM EDT
I'm looking for a laptop for everyday, desktop replacement type use.  Is MSI any good?  I'm leaning towards Dell because of discounts through my job but want to keep my options open.

Thanks.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 11:08:04 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I'm looking for a laptop for everyday, desktop replacement type use.  Is MSI any good?  I'm leaning towards Dell because of discounts through my job but want to keep my options open.
Thanks.

No stick with the dell.

MSI makes decent motherboards and gpu's, but not laptops.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 5:01:05 PM EDT
[#2]
I have had no issues so far with the high end gaming style MSI laptops.  Anything under $1000 is pretty much a crap shoot in terms of reliability for heavy daily use.  No matter what, any model could be plagued with certain issues.  Lookup the model number in Google before you buy anything to see what everyone complains about the most.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 5:10:48 PM EDT
[#3]
I've had good luck with Dell, FWIW.  Asus looks good for a budget machine, too, but not sure about quality.  Here's what Consumer Reports says:

(ranked most to lease repair prone)

Laptop computers brand repair key

Apple
Acer
Toshiba
Lenovo
Gateway
HP
Sony
Compaq
Dell
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 5:43:06 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

I've had good luck with Dell, FWIW.  Asus looks good for a budget machine, too, but not sure about quality.  Here's what Consumer Reports says:

Apple

Acer

Toshiba

Lenovo

Gateway

HP

Sony

Compaq

Dell

Thats interesting how they don't list the largest and most highly rated laptop manufacturer, Asus.

Link Posted: 1/6/2012 8:43:01 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Apple
Acer
Toshiba
Lenovo
Gateway
HP
Sony
Compaq
Dell

Thats interesting how they don't list the largest and most highly rated laptop manufacturer, Asus.

ASUS is my preference.

BigDozer66
Link Posted: 1/7/2012 1:57:01 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 1/7/2012 2:31:40 AM EDT
[#7]
I'm no expert, but after seeing my mom and sister repeatedly have to send their dell laptops in for bs service I vowed I would never own one.
I'm on my third toshiba in ten years with no real problems.
Link Posted: 1/7/2012 6:02:22 PM EDT
[#8]
Asus, Toshiba, and Apple make good laptops, generally.  I am no Apple fanboi, btw.  I hate Apple, but have to give props to their laptops.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top