Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/30/2011 5:52:40 PM EDT
I just got a new Toshiba and downloaded MSE and Malwarebytes as soon as I turned the PC on.  I have been surfing around and decide to go to Pandora, log in and bam my computer goes nuts about Win 7 Security 2012.  I cannot open any browsers on the PC, and cannot open MSE or Malware. What is my best course of action? Thanks

Update: I was able to launch Malware in Admin mode, and it found 4 Trojans from the fake AV. It removed them and I did a restart, however now everytime I try to open a program it launches Open with and can only find the exe. file. I have no idea what happened or how to fix it.
Link Posted: 12/30/2011 6:19:55 PM EDT
[#1]
System restore?

Prevention is the best cure

• Run an anti-virus such as Avast or Microsoft Security Essentials

• Use the backup utility in Windows to do regular backups to an external USB drive

• google for hosts file to have a hosts file that has entries in it for spyware, and other questionable sites

• Set your browser to not accept cookies, the PITA part is some sites requires cookies, Firefox has an "ask me everytime" option

• I keep all my data files (pictures, etc) on an external drive and backup that drive as well, if my computer goes tits up, I haven't lost my pictures, mp3's, etc

• for extreme protection run your browser within a Virtual Machine

• do regular anti virus and malware scans

Link Posted: 12/30/2011 6:32:26 PM EDT
[#2]
Restart in safe mode with networking then download avg install and scan your computer.  In safe mode the virus won't be able to run, you should have a much easier time removing it.

Don't do a system restore as of yet it can be removed if you have a little bit of patience.  Use system restore  as a last resort only.
Link Posted: 12/30/2011 7:57:55 PM EDT
[#3]
Hi txstateguy,

This problem occurs when your .exe file associations are broken. This is usually caused by malware that changes the default file associations in Windows. Follow these instructions to fix this problem:

Download exeHelper from one of these two links: Link 1, Link 2 Double-click on exeHelper to run the fix. A black window should pop up. Once the fix is complete, press any key to close.

Then try following the steps in this virus/malware removal guide: http://www.selectrealsecurity.com/malware-removal-guide

It contains instructions that will remove most malware infections. If you have any questions, just ask me. I hope this helps you.

Brian
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 5:03:57 PM EDT
[#4]
Did you get this fixed yet?  I just had a guy bring a laptop to me with this virus on it and it is really a pain in the ass to remove.  I had to manually shut down the virus.  The process name on his computer was lvg.exe and anytime I opened Firefox I had to end this task using the task manager.  Once I did this I downloaded hijackthis went to the running process list found lvg.exe and the path to it.  Write the path down, next in hijackthis goto tools and find delete at start and enter the process path and file name.  Once this is done restart your computer and it will remove the virus.  Next install avira antivirus free edition it will remove everything else from your system.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 6:25:25 PM EDT
[#5]
Best way I have found is boot to safe mode with networking, download and run rkill then full scan with fully updated malwarebytes.  Only takes as long as the scans take to fix the machine.  Sometimes that infection can cause exe extensions to no longer function but there are reg re-write files online that will quickly get you back in shape.  

rkill comes downloadable with multiple files extension that all do the same thing.  In case you have the exe files as it sounds like you may.

Download rkill from here.
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic308364.html

Try this EXE auto fix registry key writer.  Download it to your desktop and run it.  It will ask if you really want to do this and say yes.  It should say next that you are GTG and then try opening a program again.
http://www.sevenforums.com/attachments/tutorials/123734d1312706455-default-file-type-associations-restore-default_exe.reg

Link Posted: 1/6/2012 8:59:16 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Did you get this fixed yet?  I just had a guy bring a laptop to me with this virus on it and it is really a pain in the ass to remove.  I had to manually shut down the virus.  The process name on his computer was lvg.exe and anytime I opened Firefox I had to end this task using the task manager.  Once I did this I downloaded hijackthis went to the running process list found lvg.exe and the path to it.  Write the path down, next in hijackthis goto tools and find delete at start and enter the process path and file name.  Once this is done restart your computer and it will remove the virus.  Next install avira antivirus free edition it will remove everything else from your system.

I did get it fixed. I just did a system restore, since the computer was new and I had transferred much data it seemed to be the easiest way.  After that I ran a Malware scan and it came back with a number of hits.  Got rid of those and now the computer is back to working like it should.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top