Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/5/2011 6:47:22 PM EDT
Finally converting 800+ CD's to play on digital devices.    Is it 100% dependent on the player used (If I buy an Ipod use AAC?)
Which is the better format to convert them to?
Does the I-tunes AAC sound better than MP3

Link Posted: 6/5/2011 6:52:36 PM EDT
[#1]
You stirred up a hornet's nest.

Edit: I use Vorbis/oga @ ~160kbps.  If i cared, I'd archive them in FLAC then convert to whatever format needed.

Link Posted: 6/5/2011 6:52:56 PM EDT
[#2]
I always rip music to MP3.
Link Posted: 6/5/2011 6:56:43 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

OK lets narrow it down to compatibility.  If the question was specific to what plays / sounds best on an IPOD?  (I have not purchased a player yet).

Link Posted: 6/5/2011 7:01:45 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Quoted:

OK lets narrow it down to compatibility.  If the question was specific to what plays / sounds best on an IPOD?  (I have not purchased a player yet).

whatever file you rip them to, make sure you rip them WITHOUT DRM. that way you can play them on any device you want

Link Posted: 6/5/2011 7:03:34 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

whatever file you rip them to, make sure you rip them WITHOUT DRM. that way you can play them on any device you want

So does that mean finding a third party ripper and staying away from I-tunes or Windows MP or can you choose to leave out DRM even with those?

Link Posted: 6/5/2011 7:10:54 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Quoted:
So does that mean finding a third party ripper and staying away from I-tunes or Windows MP or can you choose to leave out DRM even with those?

as far as i know both itunes and WMP both add DRM. so yes find a 3rd party program.

ill see if i can find a free one real quick....
Link Posted: 6/5/2011 7:20:02 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Foobar 2000?

http://www.foobar2000.org/

Exact Audio Copy?

http://www.exactaudiocopy.de/en/

dBPower Amp?

http://www.dbpoweramp.com/dmc.htm

Link Posted: 6/5/2011 7:48:19 PM EDT
[#8]
I use foobar.
Link Posted: 6/5/2011 7:59:17 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

I use foobar.

Cant figure out where in foobar to have it search for album / song names / album art?

EDIT nevermind on that I reinstalled it with optional components.

Link Posted: 6/6/2011 7:09:04 AM EDT
[#10]
Bump.
Link Posted: 6/6/2011 7:12:16 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

as far as i know both itunes and WMP both add DRM. so yes find a 3rd party program.

WMP has never added DRM to CDs I ripped.
Link Posted: 6/6/2011 7:17:22 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

WMP has never added DRM to CDs I ripped.

but you will only be able to play those files on windows devices.

Link Posted: 6/6/2011 7:23:19 AM EDT
[#13]
I can not figure out how to get foobar to rip yet.  As simple as it is it takes a while to figure out.
Link Posted: 6/6/2011 12:21:46 PM EDT
[#14]
lately FLAC since I mainly play them on PCs with foobar which supports flac
if I want to put it on my older MP3 player I'll convert to mp3 and a high bit rate
Link Posted: 6/6/2011 2:20:33 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

I can not figure out how to get foobar to rip yet.  As simple as it is it takes a while to figure out.

File->Open audio CD, click 'Rip'

Link Posted: 6/6/2011 3:51:35 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

File->Open audio CD, click 'Rip'

Its the screens immediately after that causing me fits.  I'll post specifics later.

Link Posted: 6/6/2011 6:18:36 PM EDT
[#17]
WMP or iTunes will both rip without DRM.  I would use 320kbps for high quality and compatibility with a wide range of hardware.
Link Posted: 6/7/2011 4:48:11 AM EDT
[#18]
CDex is open source, and will rip CDs. It also connects to the online database to look up CDs so you don't have to type out the tracks.

If you have the HD space, FLAC on a disk is good, then go for MP3 or whatever media your player uses.

If you ever work with anybody else, gf, wife, kids, relatives, roommates, etc. stick with MP3. Explaining there are other music formats to some people is a headache inducing conversation.
Link Posted: 6/18/2011 6:54:30 PM EDT
[#19]
8608 songs

840 CD's

34.78 GB

that was a long couple of days sitting on my ass.

Link Posted: 6/21/2011 6:36:10 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

8608 songs

840 CD's

34.78 GB

that was a long couple of days sitting on my ass.  

Boring as hell huh?

I've done long stretches like that too.  Makes you wish you had 4-5 CD drives.

Link Posted: 6/21/2011 10:04:56 PM EDT
[#21]
If you have a library of FLAC files, is there such a thing as a 'mass conversion utility' so you could, say, convert six or eight albums at a time to MP3 for use on a player?
Link Posted: 6/22/2011 5:56:18 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

If you have a library of FLAC files, is there such a thing as a 'mass conversion utility' so you could, say, convert six or eight albums at a time to MP3 for use on a player?

For Mac there's a program called XAct that I use that will do batch conversions. I'm sure that there's a Windows equivalent.

Link Posted: 6/22/2011 11:44:33 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

I believe LAME will do this.
Foobar2000 in Windows can be used as a front end for LAME.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top