Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/30/2011 1:24:30 PM EDT
It was time for a new computer, so I did a little research and found what I thought was a good deal.  I just bought this computer:

http://www.officedepot.com/a/products/901707/HP-Pavilion-p6720f-Desktop-Computer-With/

Got it and a HP 21.5 inch LCD monitor for $689.  Is that a good deal?

Also, what do I need to upgrade, if anything?  It will primarily be just a family computer, music, and maybe a little gaming....nothing hardcore.  Thanks!
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 4:17:37 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

Also, what do I need to upgrade, if anything?  It will primarily be just a family computer, music, and maybe a little gaming....nothing hardcore.  Thanks!

CPU memory and hard drive are all good. Looks like the only upgrade would be a graphics card for gaming, the following will tell you the best cards at various price points:

Link Posted: 5/1/2011 7:07:32 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Quoted:

CPU memory and hard drive are all good. Looks like the only upgrade would be a graphics card for gaming, the following will tell you the best cards at various price points:  

Thanks for info.  I hate to sound like a idiot, but is a graphics card hard to install?  I have never opened a CPU and installed something like that .
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 7:41:40 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Thanks for info.  I hate to sound like a idiot, but is a graphics card hard to install?  I have never opened a CPU and installed something like that .

Nahh, they're not hard. Usually the biggest problem nowadays is finding one that isn't too big to fit in your computer

Link Posted: 5/1/2011 7:46:42 AM EDT
[#4]
1 run pc decrapifyer (to remove all the un-wanted bloatware and trial versions of Norton, Office, etc)
2 configure automatic updates from Microsoft to run /download /install daily & make sure the firewall is running
3 install microsoft security essentials (free anti-virus from Microsoft)
4 install secunia personal software inspector (to keep all programs patched)
5 throw no-script & ad block plus on firefox for safer surfing
what else?

Enjoy.  Seems like a pretty powerful system.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top