Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/12/2010 10:32:33 AM EDT
The wife and I are redesigning a built in and we'd like to put a computer there.  One option is for putting the CPU in an cabinet.  

Do you think that we would have heating problems?  

What would be the smallest space where you could put one and not overheat?  For example, would a 25" wide x 20" high x 14"deep be too small.   I think I already know the answer, but want confirmation.

Thanks

Link Posted: 9/12/2010 12:45:59 PM EDT
[#1]
that answer depends on the amount of heat the computer generates and how the heat ventilation of the case is designed.

Edit also depends on the heat tolerance of all the components.  Past few months I've seen about 2 or 3 systems with hot video cards die because they were put into cabinets with no airflow. The fans would blow out the hot air and then suck the hot air right back in.

Link Posted: 9/13/2010 5:55:09 AM EDT
[#2]
Space is not the issue.

Airflow and cooling is.  If you want a clean look, put vents on the floor of the thing up front, then exit for hot air on top in the back.  Position for at least a 25 square inch hole on both ends, and then same between the cabinet and the wall.

Heat will kill your computer, and it's an exponential curve.  120 degrees will kill a lot of them within hours.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 5:58:45 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Space is not the issue.

Airflow and cooling is.  If you want a clean look, put vents on the floor of the thing up front, then exit for hot air on top in the back.  Position for at least a 25 square inch hole on both ends, and then same between the cabinet and the wall.

Heat will kill your computer, and it's an exponential curve.  120 degrees will kill a lot of them within hours.

Yeah, add some vents or even built in fans.  Lack of airflow will kill it quick.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 7:14:13 AM EDT
[#4]
Also pick your components based on cooling needs. take a look at lower power consumption / heat cpu's
Link Posted: 9/16/2010 9:21:43 AM EDT
[#5]
I'm not sure if I can get sufficient venting.  

I have thought of getting a Mac Mini.  They apparently run very cool.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top