Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/19/2010 11:54:32 AM EDT
Question concerning the output voltage of a USB port...

The charger for my cellphone works two ways: I can plug it into a USB port on my computer, or I can plug the USB cord into a wall outlet adapter. I'm assuming the wall adaptor steps the voltage down to match the USB port voltage on a computer.

Now, my mp3 player can only be charged with the USB cord plugged into my computer, but I don't always have access to a computer to charge it. Since I don't always have access to a computer to charge my mp3 player, I'm considering plugging its cord into the same wall adaptor my cellphone uses.

Think this'll work, or am I gonna fry my mp3 player?

Link Posted: 7/19/2010 2:11:33 PM EDT
[#1]
depends.

what does the label say on the phone charger?  does the phone charge have a usb compliant logo?

usb 1 and 2 are at  5 vdc, but the phone and its changer might be designed to run hotter .. at say 12v.

Link Posted: 7/19/2010 3:34:52 PM EDT
[#2]
The phone charger says 5.0v - 0.7a

Link Posted: 7/20/2010 12:53:52 PM EDT
[#3]
it will work fine.
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 2:18:42 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
it will work fine.

I figured as much...thanks for the reply!
Link Posted: 7/21/2010 4:55:48 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
it will work fine.

I would say that it won't break anything.  It might not work since some companies (Motorola and RIM) require that you either use their power supplies or a computer running the correct drivers.
Link Posted: 7/22/2010 3:58:05 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:
it will work fine.

I figured as much...thanks for the reply!

Most USB ports are 5v and about 500mA.  Most phones with USB connectors should charge from this, but it will charge slower than the AC adapter charger.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top