Link Posted: 3/27/2009 1:15:53 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Do it.

+1

beats the shit out of any canon  
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 1:49:02 PM EDT
[#3]
And I just left Best Buy empty handed after the sales clerk had me do some side by side tests with a Canon.  Time for more research.
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 2:36:49 PM EDT
[#4]
Your money

ETA: Which Canon?
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 2:36:52 PM EDT
[#5]
I'm a Canon guy.

Both Canon and Nikon make great cameras, and more importantly, lenses, that will serve you well for years.

-Mark.
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 2:38:39 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I'm a Canon guy.

Both Canon and Nikon make great cameras, and more importantly, lenses, that will serve you well for years.

-Mark.

Shot a soccer game yesterday with 1dmkii and a D2Xs.

I got a couple weird looks
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 2:50:47 PM EDT
[#7]
We spent about 45 minutes on the D60 and the Rebel XS.  The thing that gave me pause was the flush rate and the burst mode.  I could hold the button down on the Canon and it never hung up.  I mean for 20 seconds and it never stopped taking pictures.  The D60 was 4 or 5 pics, and then would slow down tremendously.  On the D60, once the buffer was full it dragged horribly IMHO.  Correct me where you think I am wrong, I want to hear it.
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 3:40:23 PM EDT
[#8]
I shoot a Nikon D300, so I'm not very familiar with the D60 or the Canon. Is it possible the D60 was set to RAW, while the Canon was set to jpeg basic?
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 3:44:56 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
We spent about 45 minutes on the D60 and the Rebel XS.  The thing that gave me pause was the flush rate and the burst mode.  I could hold the button down on the Canon and it never hung up.  I mean for 20 seconds and it never stopped taking pictures.  The D60 was 4 or 5 pics, and then would slow down tremendously.  On the D60, once the buffer was full it dragged horribly IMHO.  Correct me where you think I am wrong, I want to hear it.

I'm willing to bet anything that the Nikon was set to RAW image format and the Canon was set to JPEG.

Nikon claims 3 fps continuous at "full resolution".

Canon claims 3.5 fps continuous for 53 "full resolution" JPEGs or 6 RAW.
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 4:13:03 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

I shoot a Nikon D300, so I'm not very familiar with the D60 or the Canon. Is it possible the D60 was set to RAW, while the Canon was set to jpeg basic?

I don't think so because I did ask about that. We even got a memory card out and used the same one in both cameras just to isolate that as not being a factor. The Nikon did shoot 3 fps, but after about 2 seconds it started to stall.
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 4:57:59 PM EDT
[#11]
I'm still not convinced that the comparison was apples to apples, resolution settings had to be different on each camera.
From Nikon's home page, "Shoot Continuously at up to 3 Frames per Second: Capture sports action, precious moments and fleeting expressions at up to 3 frames per second, for as many as 100 consecutive JPEG images".
To me, it sounds as though the D60's buffer was being filled up rapidly with RAW images, and the Canon was firing away with low res jpegs.
As Nikon states, the D60 should fire 3 frames per second {fps} for as many as 100 consecutive jpeg frames. It will obviously be slower if set to RAW, so perhaps it was.
I don't know if the sales person set the resolution differently on each camera on purpose or not, but I'd be willing to bet that you were not comparng apples to apples as far as resolution is concerned.
The Canon is capable of 3.5 fps when in RAW for up to 6 frames, and then fps drops severely to 0.7 fps, so it definitely wasn't set to RAW.
I'm not sure I understood your statement about using the same memory card in each camera. That has nothing to do with resolution.
I'd go back and be SURE each camera's resolution was set the same, and that the batteries were both fully charged as well. Make sure you're making an equal comparson.
I might be bias because I am a very happy Nikon owner, but I would go with the D60 handsdown over the Canon. I prefer Nikon bodies and lenses.
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 5:18:43 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'm a Canon guy.

-Mark.

Shot a soccer game yesterday with 1dmkii and a D2Xs.

I got a couple weird looks

BAN THE FREAK!!!

-Mark.

Link Posted: 3/27/2009 5:35:02 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

I'm not sure I understood your statement about using the same memory card in each camera. That has nothing to do with resolution.

Yes, memory cards have nothing to do with resolution.  However slower cards will produce correspondingly slower clearing times. Slow cards can also limit length of bursts in continuous mode.  Gotta use the same card to compare apples to apples.

But your right, I am going to go back and get and look again on the resolution!!

Link Posted: 3/27/2009 5:47:20 PM EDT
[#14]
Good point.
Let us know how it goes!
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 6:19:13 PM EDT
[#15]
Seems to me like the d60 is just a trumped up d40.

http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/d60.htm
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 6:21:29 PM EDT
[#16]
If it will do what you want go for it.  I got the Olympus 510 a couple of months ago and am enjoying it.  DSLR is definitely the way to go.
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 6:27:16 PM EDT
[#17]
I'd skip the D60 and get a D90.  It's worth the extra money for the upgrade.
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 6:50:44 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Seems to me like the d60 is just a trumped up d40.

http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/d60.htm
That's a review like a Sears catalog is a cookbook. If you want a REAL review, here are a couple of sites that offer UN-biased reviews:

dpreview.com

Steve's digicams.com

Link Posted: 3/27/2009 8:23:58 PM EDT
[#19]
That Best Buy salesman sabotaged the Nikon settings. There's no way possible the Canon smoked it in a head-to-head with identical settings.

Link Posted: 3/27/2009 8:27:52 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 2:46:52 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I'd skip the D60 and get a D90.  It's worth the extra money for the upgrade.

+1
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 3:29:31 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

I'd skip the D60 and get a D90. It's worth the extra money for the upgrade.

It sure better be considering the price difference is $539 for the D60 and $1299 for the D90.
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 3:39:51 AM EDT
[#23]
 Shot Pentax and Minoltas. Had a D80 for 2-3 yrs now. love it. Would say Nikon....hands down. Like Cannon's too, but... I'd do the Sony long before the Canon. They are doing some really good things in Dig SLR
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 4:18:09 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
 Shot Pentax and Minoltas. Had a D80 for 2-3 yrs now. love it. Would say Nikon....hands down. Like Cannon's too, but... I'd do the Sony long before the Canon. They are doing some really good things in Dig SLR

I wouldn't.  You buy into a system for the lenses.  Canon and Nikon are the only way to go if you plan on buying anything but consumer lenses.
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 5:18:20 AM EDT
[#25]
I think either one will do you very very well. Save up some money for reallly GOOD glass and roll on. (I'm a Nikon user but both have good systems)
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 8:13:59 AM EDT
[#26]
I'm partial to Canon, but Nikon has the glass to back it up as well. If you ever think you'll move past consumer photography, I'd stick with one of those two brands.

When I read your response, the first thin I thought of was RAW on Nikon. I'd be willing to bet that either this was the case, or that the Nikon you were trying had issues that wouldn't be present in a properly functioning camera.

Having said that, I'd highly recommend skipping purchasing a new consumer DSLR and instead try to find a used prosumer DSLR (30D or 40D from Canon, not sure about Nikon) for hopefully close to the same price as the new consumer body. The ##D camera bodies from Canon are much more durable, and give you a thumb wheel on the back. They also provide a few more features, but those two are IMO very big steps up from the Rebels.

I can't comment on whether the same is true of Nikon cameras or not, so if the Nikon body style (layout of buttons, feel in your hand, etc) is preferable, I'm sure someone from the Nikon camp can pipe up to say whether this is true or not on the dark side as well.

Good luck, and have fun with whatever new toy you decide to pick up.
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 8:48:43 AM EDT
[#27]

Just came home with a Canon. I have reached the conclusion at this point in time that this might be a "Ford vs. Chevy" type debate. Time will tell.

Link Posted: 3/28/2009 10:18:39 AM EDT
[#28]
Which Canon?
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 10:41:58 AM EDT
[#29]
Rebel XS.  Also got the extra lens, it won't be here until Wednesday though.
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 11:01:52 AM EDT
[#30]
I have been thinking about getting something more advanced myself over the Canon Power Shot A75 compact that I have now, when I had looked at the the Canon, it seemed to be nicer than the Nikon stuff, the only thing with the Canon is the motor to focus the lens is built into the lens, the Nikon is in the body, not sure how important that is, just seems the Canon method might be better.
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 11:14:01 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

I have been thinking about getting something more advanced myself over the Canon Power Shot A75 compact that I have now, when I had looked at the the Canon, it seemed to be nicer than the Nikon stuff, the only thing with the Canon is the motor to focus the lens is built into the lens, the Nikon is in the body, not sure how important that is, just seems the Canon method might be better.

Do you mean the motor in is in the lens on the Nikon and the motor on the Canon is in the body?
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 2:00:15 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Do you mean the motor in is in the lens on the Nikon and the motor on the Canon is in the body?

The other way around, Canon = Motor in lense, Nikon = Motor in body with a coupler to the lense.

Link Posted: 3/28/2009 2:05:27 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

The other way around, Canon = Motor in lense, Nikon = Motor in body with a coupler to the lense.

The real deal is, the more expensive Nikons (D80 and up) have an AF motor in the body.  The cheaper Nikon DSLRs, such as the D40, D40X, and D60 lack the AF motor in the body, and thus they can only use lenses that come with an AF motor...which leaves out a great deal of third party lenses and also older Nikkor lenses.

Link Posted: 3/28/2009 6:08:02 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
[div]Just came home with a Canon. I have reached the conclusion at this point in time that this might be a "Ford vs. Chevy" type debate. Time will tell.

You are correct.  It is like a Chevy vs Ford debate.  Each has it loyalties and will say the other sucks.  You can't go wrong with either.

Nikon's latest bodies (D300, D700, D3) are nice, but Canon has better glass.

Link Posted: 3/28/2009 11:42:14 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Just came home with a Canon.

FACEPALM!!!!!!!

did you pick up the nikon and handle it?
If so what made you go to the canon? just curious because when i pick up a canon it feels like its about to fall apart on me
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 4:29:19 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Just came home with a Canon.

FACEPALM!!!!!!!

did you pick up the nikon and handle it?
If so what made you go to the canon? just curious because when i pick up a canon it feels like its about to fall apart on me

Hyperbolic nonsense.
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 4:38:43 AM EDT
[#37]
It would just about have to be a difference in resolution settings or some other parameter. Or possibly the battery in the Nikon was nearly dead.

That said, I agree that it's the potential glass you'll be buying in the future that should keep you looking at Canon or Nikon exclusively. No other platforms even come close.

D300 owner here...

ETA: Congrats on your purchase!
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 4:44:25 AM EDT
[#38]
I've had a D60 for about a year and I've been very happy with it as an intro into the world of DSLRs.
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 6:35:19 AM EDT
[#39]
Canon 30D owner here with a couple of the Canon L lenes. In my opinion I think Canon makes the Best Glass.

And Yes I know Opinions are like Assholes ..... Everyone has one.
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 6:49:22 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Canon 30D owner here with a couple of the Canon L lenes. In my opinion I think Canon makes the Best Glass.

Yep. My asinine opinion prefers Nikon glass.
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 7:31:19 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Having used both, and talked to many others who've used even higher end Nikon glass than I have, the truth is, they're about equal quality wise.  What is inarguable though is that Canon glass is less expensive than Nikon glass, while still being just as good.
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 7:48:23 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Having used both, and talked to many others who've used even higher end Nikon glass than I have, the truth is, they're about equal quality wise.  What is inarguable though is that Canon glass is less expensive than Nikon glass, while still being just as good.

Yup, that was my point - it's personal preference. Not sure on prices since I only shopped for Nikon stuff. Both are expensive though.
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 7:56:27 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yup, that was my point - it's personal preference. Not sure on prices since I only shopped for Nikon stuff. Both are expensive though.

$5000 for a Nikkor 300mm f2.8 VR...$4100 for the Canon 300mm f2.8L IS.
$8200 for a Nikkor 500mm f4 VR....$5800 for a Canon 500mm f4L IS.

Just a couple examples.
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 8:14:03 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

$5000 for a Nikkor 300mm f2.8 VR...$4100 for the Canon 300mm f2.8L IS.
$8200 for a Nikkor 500mm f4 VR....$5800 for a Canon 500mm f4L IS.

Just a couple examples.

Agree. And yes, both are expensive.
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 9:04:56 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Best thing to point out.  If you ever go past a consumer stand point, pro glass for Canon will be cheaper in the long run.  Though if you have the coin, it really doesn't matter.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top