Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/28/2008 10:54:51 AM EDT

Nikkor-S.C. 55mm f/1.2 nonAI--$140

This lens doesn't get great reviews, but at that price, I couldn't pass up the chance to give it a try.

So I stuck it on my D40x, and got some non-metering action.  Non-metering is no biggie and I am usually within one stop when I check the LCD and fine tune it.  These are straight off the camera without any extra sharpening.  I really like the coatings on the old glass.

f/2 (should have went for more DOF here)

f/2.8
Link Posted: 5/28/2008 1:26:01 PM EDT
[#1]
moar wide open shots plz!

That lens might make you spring for a split focus screen.
Link Posted: 5/30/2008 9:38:02 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

I'z already got one.  Itsa verry nize!  Either I'm getting better, or it's pretty easy to nail the focus right on with this one.  Incidentally, I find myself using the micro-prism periphery more than the center split to focus.

Here's wide open in sunlight.  Pretty soft.  Rose garden in the background.  f/1.2

f/2.8    The bokah is funky wide open (almost streaky) and gets a little angular past f/2.8.

It does a lot better wide open indoors. f/1.2, ISO 400

Link Posted: 5/31/2008 7:50:34 PM EDT
[#3]
Very nice.  I have a 50mm 1.8 D and it is the best $95 I have spent on glass.  I love shooting it wide open for window portraits
Link Posted: 6/2/2008 1:02:27 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'z already got one.  Itsa verry nize!  Either I'm getting better, or it's pretty easy to nail the focus right on with this one.  Incidentally, I find myself using the micro-prism periphery more than the center split to focus.

Here's wide open in sunlight.  Pretty soft.  Rose garden in the background.  f/1.2
farm3.static.flickr.com/2277/2536940432_44179ccb71_b.jpg

That is actually not all that bad considering it is probably a spherically ground lens element.  Keep in mind that the lens is probably designed to be used in VERY difficult available light conditions, with the focus being on an isolated subject.  Corner sharpness isn't really the intent I don't suppose.

I don't find the bokeh to be objectionable, it is different to be sure, but I found it very watery and organic.
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 1:29:04 PM EDT
[#5]
Looks great in low light.   This is my livingroom with the lights dimmed way down.  Focus is a little soft on this one.

55mm f/1.2  ISO 800 (no post processing)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top