Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/11/2023 2:35:35 AM EDT
Thinking of doing some experiments with 35mm high-contrast B&W or color transparencies.

Source material would be digital files, similar resolution to typical consumer DSLR or iPhone image frames (4K pixels x 3K pixels, for example), with output to real film transparencies (or even B&W negative film).

Casual googling brings up some film recorder service bureaus that offer such services for maybe $5 per slide plus handling fee, with turnaround times from a day or two up to perhaps a week or longer.

Anyone have experience with any such vendor(s)?

I suppose that an alternative could be had by rigging up my Nikon F2 SLR with some real color transparency film or B&W negative film, and take macro photos of my iPhone screen in a dark room, then find a place to develop the film. I don’t actually need these to be mounted. Figuring out proper exposure might be a bit painful, as I’ve been spoiled by digital SLRs.

Link Posted: 4/11/2023 3:03:26 AM EDT
[#1]
Do it on Kodachrome 25 and process it yourself in a phototherm temperature controlled bath.

Slide film has to have the exact exposure it’s not like print film that goes 1 to 2 stops under through 3 stops over .

Can’t they just take the digital file and print off a backlit display transparency positive like a Duratrans. I’m not really understanding the final application. $5 a slide is probably a bargain.
Link Posted: 4/11/2023 3:30:11 AM EDT
[#2]
The intended application is for a gobo-like transparency mask for projecting a constructed geometric image on a wall or ceiling.

But it is mainly for me to do experiments, rather than for any practical application.

I believe that I once processed a roll of Ektachrome in my basement darkroom, but it has been many ages since I had any wet lab experience.

Kodachrome, well, if I had a million dollars to build a lab…

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top