Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/4/2018 3:40:13 PM EDT
I have been wanting a Nikon 200-500 f5.6 for a while now. I've played with the Sigma and Tamron 150-600's but I'd take the shorter focal length for a constant 5.6.

Buying at my LCS would bring the total price to just under $1600.

I came across one that is in excellent/new condition, maybe out of the box 1-3 times. Initially they wanted 1200 but they also have accepted a contingent offer of a flat 1k. I will be meeting up and taking a look at it tomorrow evening, whats the general consensus on the 2-5? I don't believe I will ever find the lens sub 1k anytime soon.
Link Posted: 10/4/2018 3:51:27 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 10/4/2018 3:59:13 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
That's a good deal for that lens.

General opinion seems to be that it's a solid performer but the af can be a little slow on anything that isn't a d500/d5/d850.
View Quote
Good thing It'll be mounted to a d500 then!
Link Posted: 10/4/2018 4:26:39 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 10/4/2018 4:34:12 PM EDT
[#4]
When I was single and had cash to burn a long time ago, I got a crazy idea to buy a Nikon 400mm f2.8 to go with my D3. It was pretty bad ass, no regrets. I took it all over for wildlife and sports stuff.

Then I decided to buy more guns and sold it about 5 years later...and actually made money off it.

I say go for it, OP. You only live once.
Link Posted: 10/4/2018 4:37:27 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
When I was single and had cash to burn a long time ago, I got a crazy idea to buy a Nikon 400mm f2.8 to go with my D3. It was pretty bad ass, no regrets. I took it all over for wildlife and sports stuff.

Then I decided to buy more guns and sold it about 5 years later...and actually made money off it.

I say go for it, OP. You only live once.
View Quote
Nice!

I plan to use it mainly for wildlife or when the extra reach is necessary. Other than that, I keep the go-to's in my case(70-200/35mm1.8)

I have actually been thinking of dumping the 16-80 in favor of something like a 24-70 or something eventually. It just doesn't seem to be worth much outside of coming with the 500 when bundled.
Link Posted: 10/4/2018 4:41:26 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 10/4/2018 4:45:00 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I've been wanting to try one of those 16-80 lenses for a while. I hear they're pretty good.

Don't see many of them over this way. I like the 18-70 I got from fish223 though. For a kit lens it's pretty bad ass.
View Quote
It is good for exactly what it is. I will say, it is also the best lens I have gotten that has come bundled with a body as I have seen. I may keep it around, but may be in a lower rotation. I never know what I'm planning to do until it just happens.
Link Posted: 10/5/2018 1:38:12 PM EDT
[#8]
Go for it, you can't beat it at that price.

AF is a little slow and sharpness seems to drop off over 400mm (on my copy at least) but it still gets the job done.  I bounce it between a D810 and a D7200 depending on my needs.
Link Posted: 10/5/2018 10:04:41 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
The AF is a bit slow, even on the D850, but it is a great lens.
Forgot who, someone here, maybe NorthPolar, talked about the AF speed, and the recommendation was to flip the limit switch and decrease the focusing range. Helped alot.
If it didn't pick up focus lock it would cycle all the way to the end and return. Using the limit switch saved a small, but noticeable amount of time.
Overall, I like it. I should use it more, but I tend to laziness in schlepping it around.
View Quote
Yup.  Flip the focus limiter from full to anything over 6m to infinity.  Really speeds up AF function in my experience.  So does a quick 'rough' prefocus, just turning the focus ring so it's somewhere close, so it doesn't have to search to get a focus lock.  The range scale on the lens is great for this if you know something will be showing up in a certain spot and around X or Y distance.  For example, I ballpark infinity for aircraft so it only takes a fraction of a second to tweak and lock AF while I am panning with them.

Btw, OP you can get one refurbished from Nikon for $1250 right now, but they have gone on sale for $1125 or so with their 10-25% off sales. Just missed one.

Fantastic lens and I freaking love mine.  Other than it being a heavy bastard, my only complaint is that in subzero temps the zoom ring gets very stiff. Past -15f or so, it's basically a prime lens.  BUT that's also ~50f lower than what the camera and lens are "technically" specced for.  *shrug*

Link Posted: 10/5/2018 10:06:35 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Go for it, you can't beat it at that price.

AF is a little slow and sharpness seems to drop off over 400mm (on my copy at least) but it still gets the job done.  I bounce it between a D810 and a D7200 depending on my needs.
View Quote
Do a focus calibration set at 500mm f/5.6 with the lens on a tripod and locked in place.  13 adjustments, write them down and reset to zero between each.  Toss the top and bottom adjustments, then average for your ballpark score to enter.
Link Posted: 10/5/2018 10:14:59 PM EDT
[#11]
I ended up buying it. The thing was immaculate. The only thing that bothers me about Nikon, is their tripod collars don’t come arca swiss compatible like the Tamron G2 line. But I bought a Wimberly plate to remedy that situation.

I’ll be af tuning it tomorrow and hopefully I’ll get to play with it soon. I’m also thinking the SKB/ThinkTank case I just bought may have already become too small.
Link Posted: 10/5/2018 10:49:16 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I ended up buying it. The thing was immaculate. The only thing that bothers me about Nikon, is their tripod collars don’t come arca swiss compatible like the Tamron G2 line. But I bought a Wimberly plate to remedy that situation.

I’ll be af tuning it tomorrow and hopefully I’ll get to play with it soon. I’m also thinking the SKB/ThinkTank case I just bought may have already become too small.
View Quote
Lowepro makes a soft case that is heavily padded and perfect for it. I’ll have to check what model mine is. The lens usually lives in a hard case, but the soft one is great for going out or road trips.
Link Posted: 10/5/2018 10:53:53 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Lowepro makes a soft case that is heavily padded and perfect for it. I’ll have to check what model mine is. The lens usually lives in a hard case, but the soft one is great for going out or road trips.
View Quote
I will have to look into those. As of now I’ve been able to fit the d500, 70-200, 16-80, 35mm, battery grip, sb700, misc lens hoods, laptop charger and the MacBook. But I also don’t see the 200-500 going out every time I do.
Link Posted: 10/7/2018 1:16:13 PM EDT
[#14]
I just wanted to update, so far I love the 200-500. However, with that said, theres a bit of learning curve for me at this kind of focal length.

I aslo "fent" twice this week in as many days. At my LCS yesterday while checking AF fine tuning, they had a Tamron 17-50 f2.8 VC. Guy had bought it, didn't realize it was for a crop sensor body and I got to pick it up brand new for $175(they said they couldn't sell it as "new"). I feel like it was a productive money saving buying weekend.

17-50 by Chris Weathers, on Flickr
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top