Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/27/2018 9:48:39 PM EDT
I need a monopod mainly for shooting football and I would love some suggestions. The only potential catch here is that I'm 6'6" and my students are normal humans. I would like something which I could use while standing up (I know that's not how you shoot football) while still being able to collapse down for the kids. Is there anything like that out htere?
Link Posted: 8/27/2018 9:53:14 PM EDT
[#1]
Budget?
Link Posted: 8/27/2018 11:46:06 PM EDT
[#2]
While I could pretty quickly be convinced to buy once and cry once, I'd like to keep it around $100 if that'll get me something nice.
Link Posted: 8/28/2018 2:14:37 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 8/28/2018 4:38:10 AM EDT
[#4]
I have an older version of this one that has served me well for years: https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1291111-REG/manfrotto_mpmxproa4us_aluminum_xpro_monopod.html

I'm 6'6" and have never had an issue using it standing up.
Link Posted: 8/28/2018 8:19:40 PM EDT
[#5]
I have the one that Zack linked, and it works surprisingly well.

They're pretty light and work fantastic.  Personally since I'm keeping both hands on the camera and just using the monopod for support, this inexpensive (but pretty damn nice for the money) offbrand ball head works pretty solid on my setup.  Just get an oversized arca plate (2nd link) so you can balance the camera properly.  The combo worked great using/supporting my 200-500mm f/5.6 and gripped D850 this past spring in below freezing temps.

To make sure the lens can't rotate or slide on the plate,  I got a 1/4x20 nylon nut, sanded one side down a little bit to remove the 'lip' at the base, then butted it against the lens foot.  That way the collar at the back of the plate supports the lens foot on one side, and the tightened down nylon nut snugged in front of the lens foot locks it in place on the other side.

The ball head isn't super fancy, you can back out the tightness/adjustment screws if you aren't careful and whatnot.  BUT it does move smoothly and supports the camera well.  Considering it's just there to support the camera while you move with it (IMO, I'm not a monopod expert) it works fine for my needs even with motorsports.

Amazon Product
  • 🌿 |360 Degree Swivel|: PERGEAR Ball Head Weights Only 406g/14oz, but Provides 8KG/17.6lbs Loading Capacity. PERGEAR Ball Head Equips with 3 Knobs for Horizontal/Vertical/Side Adjustment, Set Your Camera at Any Angle
  • 🌿 |More Stable|: Pergear Tripod Ball Head is with Fine Tuning Damping to Protect Your Device from Sudden Plunge
  • 🌿 |More Precise|: Both Horizontal and Vertical Bubble Level to Enhance Perception of Position. The Base is with Index Marking to Indicate more Precise Control

Amazon Product
  • Arca-Swiss compatible QR plate.
  • Twin backstop flanges
  • 169mm (7 3/4") in Length.

Link Posted: 8/29/2018 11:14:42 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks for the suggestions guys. I picked up the first monopod mentioned, and I added the following quick release adapter. I think the simplicity of it will really help out the kids vs. something that could cause the camera to flop around if they have a screw loosen up.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/5563-REG/Manfrotto_394_394_Low_Profile_Quick.html
Link Posted: 9/5/2018 12:34:41 AM EDT
[#7]
Everything came in today. It's pretty darn nice. I'm going to take the ball adapter off the bottom of it and just use the rubber boot for a couple of reasons. Weight, and kids doing stupid stuff. If there are no feet, they won't be tempted to use it as the world's most unstable tripod.

I'll try to post up a couple of their shots should things go smoothly on Friday. It looks of rain, so we'll see if they get to shoot much.
Link Posted: 9/7/2018 9:01:37 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I have a monopod that'd meet your physical requirements. The price isn't that far off but you'd also need a head for it.

Mine is an older version of this:

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1291105-REG/manfrotto_mvmxproa4us_aluminum_xpro_video.html

It's strong enough to support my 400 f/2.8 so it'll definitely handle whatever you can throw at it.

I have used a dedicated monopod head, my arca ball head, and my wimberley head on it. It works fine with all of them.

The expanding foot is great, and there's also a fluid base down there for nice pans.

This also will enable the monopod to free stand (the manual specifically advises against this) but it *does* work.
View Quote
I thought your monopod was about 5'1" and brunette...  
Link Posted: 9/8/2018 8:27:29 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 9/8/2018 2:15:00 PM EDT
[#10]
Well, I think it will be chalked up as a learning experience yesterday. The kids didn't want to use the monopod because it didn't make it as easy to follow the action when it went by them. Unfortunately for them, by that point most people have already missed the shot, and to top it off they were shooting at too low of an ISO. Grrrrr...
Link Posted: 9/8/2018 2:38:03 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 9/8/2018 7:45:20 PM EDT
[#12]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

It's almost like using a monopod to track action requires practice or something.
View Quote
No kidding. I know most guys who post on here are a lot better photographers than I, but I can shoot football really well. The kids look at what I bring back and expect to do the same the first time out. Although I have had a student who literally has a God given gift for it, she doesn't care for it.
Link Posted: 9/13/2018 8:07:02 PM EDT
[#13]
Tomorrow is slated to be a blowout in our favor with good weather. Fingers crossed that common sense prevails and the monopod is utilized. I hope there are actually pics to follow this time.
Link Posted: 9/22/2018 11:52:01 PM EDT
[#14]
Here's one from a girl who had never used a camera before. The monopod really made a difference in the photo quality for the new people. There was a lot of stuff which will be very usable for us.

IMG_2343edit
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top