Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/11/2018 12:26:52 PM EDT
Does anyone use it?  Stupid focus aide or actually useful?

I haven't messed around with it or manual focus much to create an opinion, thought I would ask the more knowledgeable here.

Link Posted: 5/11/2018 1:51:14 PM EDT
[#1]
I would assume since this requires an EVF that this isn't a feature available to DSLRs.
Link Posted: 5/11/2018 2:30:50 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 5/11/2018 4:46:59 PM EDT
[#3]
I hardly ever use Live View (exception is the rare occasion I shoot video) so not much utility for me.
Link Posted: 5/11/2018 4:47:15 PM EDT
[#4]
I don't find it highly useful for my workflow, but I don't do much video (where I'd probably find it more valuable). My workflow for stills is to zoom the LiveView to 100% on my point of focus and manually focus until sharp. At that magnification, the focus peaking feature is less impressive.

However, for video, the workflow would probably take better advantage of the peaking option.
Link Posted: 5/11/2018 7:24:58 PM EDT
[#5]
Is live view the same as WYSIWYG-what you see is what you get?
Link Posted: 5/11/2018 8:05:08 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I hardly ever use Live View (exception is the rare occasion I shoot video) so not much utility for me.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Same here.  I've played around with it, but I'm rarely using lenses on manual to bother with it.  Neat if I need it, but I haven't had to yet.

Quoted:
Is live view the same as WYSIWYG-what you see is what you get?
Pretty much, yeah.  Through a DSLR viewfinder, you're directly looking through the lens with the aperture wide open (barring a lens with manual or fixed aperture) so you need to rely on your light metering because the view can be brighter or darker depending on the lens, while the photo is different.

Live view is a direct display of what the image sensor sees, so changes will be reflected immediately.  Downside is it eats your battery really fast because it's essentially recording video, without writing it to a card.
Link Posted: 5/11/2018 8:09:29 PM EDT
[#7]
LiveView is similar to WYSIWYG, but may require activation of a button to give you true WYSIWYG versus "enhanced view finder" features. It depends on the camera. Most mirrorless EVFs I've seen default to WYSIWYG. Definitely not so with my D850.
Link Posted: 5/12/2018 9:55:42 PM EDT
[#8]
Pretty much, yeah. Through a DSLR viewfinder, you're directly looking through the lens with the aperture wide open (barring a lens with manual or fixed aperture) so you need to rely on your light metering because the view can be brighter or darker depending on the lens, while the photo is different.
View Quote
I've got my Pv button on the all my bodies that have it (top button on the front, right side next to lens) set to stop down the aperture to whatever it's set for; let's me preview DOF through the viewfinder as well as see how the frame's overall lighting looks.

But I also pay very close attention to the viewfinder meter.
Link Posted: 5/12/2018 10:15:02 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I've got my Pv button on the all my bodies that have it (top button on the front, right side next to lens) set to stop down the aperture to whatever it's set for; let's me preview DOF through the viewfinder as well as see how the frame's overall lighting looks.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Pretty much, yeah. Through a DSLR viewfinder, you're directly looking through the lens with the aperture wide open (barring a lens with manual or fixed aperture) so you need to rely on your light metering because the view can be brighter or darker depending on the lens, while the photo is different.

Dumb question, why don't DSLRs set the lens to the preset/desired aperture even without the shutter button being depressed?
Link Posted: 5/12/2018 10:25:45 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Dumb question, why don't DSLRs set the lens to the preset/desired aperture even without the shutter button being depressed?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

More light to the AF sensors, so they can focus faster and more accurately.  It only takes a tiny fraction of a second to snap the aperture shut for a photo, so why waste the extra light when you can get performance bonuses from it.  Kinda why the pro glass is f/2.8.  Super fast because they let in a ton of light in bright environments so they can track AF really fast, but can still let in enough light in darker areas to maximize what the AF can do in crappy light.
Link Posted: 5/13/2018 12:58:09 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 5/19/2018 12:48:58 AM EDT
[#12]
I use it when shooting video, or sometimes when I'm shooting in live view. It's a great feature provided by Magic Lantern for the Canon cameras.
Link Posted: 5/21/2018 5:36:34 AM EDT
[#13]
My camera can do it, but I think it's only when set to a certain manual focus mode. Makes sense, though.

I haven't used it since honestly, I do more video with my camera... but I do have a couple old SLR lenses I can use on it. Peaking should work with fully manual glass.
Link Posted: 5/21/2018 5:42:31 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 5/21/2018 12:42:08 PM EDT
[#15]
So I have my camera setup with back button autofocus only, assisted manual focus (zooms in), and high peaking.  Shutter button half pressed does nothing.

This way when I'm composing a shot I hit the back button, look for the peaking lines, and I have the option to use the rings on my lenses to manually adjust focus for fine tuning.

I'm liking this setup quite a bit.  I am debating using my 2nd custom button to lock the autofocus in place for multiple static shots.
Link Posted: 5/21/2018 12:44:26 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 5/21/2018 12:52:45 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
If you're using back button autofocus you shouldn't need to lock in the focus unless your camera does some sort of weird stuff.

Press button - AF is activated

Don't press button - AF is by default not doing anything, so it leaves focus where it is.

At least this is how it works on my Nikon cameras.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
So I have my camera setup with back button autofocus only, assisted manual focus (zooms in), and high peaking.  Shutter button half pressed does nothing.

This way when I'm composing a shot I hit the back button, look for the peaking lines, and I have the option to use the rings on my lenses to manually adjust focus for fine tuning.

I'm liking this setup quite a bit.  I am debating using my 2nd custom button to lock the autofocus in place for multiple static shots.
If you're using back button autofocus you shouldn't need to lock in the focus unless your camera does some sort of weird stuff.

Press button - AF is activated

Don't press button - AF is by default not doing anything, so it leaves focus where it is.

At least this is how it works on my Nikon cameras.
I'll have to test this out later, but I think you are correct.
Link Posted: 5/22/2018 4:36:21 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
You are a prime target for why peaking exists.

AF for video generally sucks. Manual focusing + peaking = happy life.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
My camera can do it, but I think it's only when set to a certain manual focus mode. Makes sense, though.

I haven't used it since honestly, I do more video with my camera... but I do have a couple old SLR lenses I can use on it. Peaking should work with fully manual glass.
You are a prime target for why peaking exists.

AF for video generally sucks. Manual focusing + peaking = happy life.
Actually a lot of my shooting is "vlog" type shooting. It would not be practical to be in front of the camera, operating it myself, AND try to control focus.

Now, when I do stationary b-roll type stuff, like with the cool rotating panoramic tripod head, manually focusing may be possible or practical... but for most of my video use, I need good AF.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top