Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/3/2011 8:09:31 AM EDT
What's the difference? It's going on a digital camera if that matters.
Link Posted: 10/3/2011 9:25:43 AM EDT
[#1]

Circular.

Link Posted: 10/3/2011 11:54:43 AM EDT
[#2]
How often do most of you use a polarizing filter when shooting outdoors?  Does it have a major effect on B&W shooting too?
Link Posted: 10/3/2011 12:21:33 PM EDT
[#3]
You will use it a lot and it does impact both color and black and white.  With a circular polarizer you can dial in the amount of polarization you want.
Link Posted: 10/3/2011 2:27:53 PM EDT
[#4]
Assuming that you are using a camera that uses phase detect autofocus (which is almost every autofocus SLR camera ever made), you will want to get a circular polarizer.

With a circular polarizer you can dial in the amount of polarization you want.

You can "dial in the amount" on both types of polarizer.  
Link Posted: 10/3/2011 5:03:14 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Assuming that you are using a camera that uses phase detect autofocus (which is almost every autofocus SLR camera ever made), you will want to get a circular polarizer.

With a circular polarizer you can dial in the amount of polarization you want.

You can "dial in the amount" on both types of polarizer.  

Okay, I bought the circular one. I'm using it on a Canon Superzoom, not a DSLR. First thing I noticed was that unless I was in full manual mode, the camera kept changing the viewfinder brightness to  the point I could only see the darkening of the sky for a flash and then it would compensate. In full manual mode (Shutter and Aperture control with a match needle for exposure) I could see the changes when rotating the polarizer.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top