Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/1/2011 2:49:10 PM EDT
how do I put that on this? Is it worth doing?

(Lens off Minolta to Canon)

Link Posted: 10/1/2011 3:10:29 PM EDT
[#2]

Nice! Thanks a bunch!

Now I wonder if it will be a good lens to put on the camera
Link Posted: 10/1/2011 3:14:02 PM EDT
[#3]
only one way 2 find out = )
Link Posted: 10/1/2011 3:40:39 PM EDT
[#4]

Why did I know the adaptor would not allow focusing at infinity....

$5 says the Op will be happy with neither the lens as it nor with the restrictions of the adaptor.
Link Posted: 10/1/2011 3:47:01 PM EDT
[#5]
That was just a quick search.  You maybe able to find a much better one that allows for things like that.
Link Posted: 10/1/2011 3:52:45 PM EDT
[#6]
What lens is it? It's probably not worth it. You can search through some of the alternative forums and see what a good connector is and if it's worth messing with.
Link Posted: 10/1/2011 3:54:43 PM EDT
[#7]
Just get another lens. Fredmiranda.com has a very active EE with tons of goodies. Check them out!
Link Posted: 10/1/2011 9:41:30 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
What lens is it? It's probably not worth it. You can search through some of the alternative forums and see what a good connector is and if it's worth messing with.

Lens says "Telesor 1:4.5 F=80-200mm" has a Hoya 55mm Skylight 1B.

Quoted:
Just get another lens. Fredmiranda.com has a very active EE with tons of goodies. Check them out!

Thanks. I'll do that.
Link Posted: 10/1/2011 9:54:00 PM EDT
[#9]
Maybe I shouldn't ask, but, why?
Link Posted: 10/1/2011 10:15:39 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Because I am a total noob at photography. Something with a larger (diameter) lens should let in more light correct? It's gotta be better than the stock lens. (Found an adapter on ebay that will allow it to focus to infinity)
Link Posted: 10/2/2011 3:35:29 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Quoted:

Because I am a total noob at photography. Something with a larger (diameter) lens should let in more light correct? It's gotta be better than the stock lens. (Found an adapter on ebay that will allow it to focus to infinity)

Get a 50mm 1.8. If you want a cheap fast lens. I don't think that manual zoom will be much faster than your kit lens.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/12142-USA/Canon_2514A002_Normal_EF_50mm_f_1_8.html

What are you trying to do?

Link Posted: 10/2/2011 6:20:16 AM EDT
[#12]
I'd invest in a good book and do some reading.  Just because it may have a larger Max aperture doesn't mean the optics are up to par with some of the newer tech.  Now if you have it and just want to use it for fun then go for it.  the 50 1.8 is a great lens to learn from and you'll be able to grow with it for a long time.  It's a cheap lens that offers a wide aperture for shallow DOF, faster focusing speeds and better low light while having great optics for the price = )
Link Posted: 10/2/2011 7:21:03 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Lens says "Telesor 1:4.5 F=80-200mm" has a Hoya 55mm Skylight 1B.

Quoted:

Thanks. I'll do that.

Don't try and use that lens. For one, the lens isn't really worth anything these days. Second, the 370 has a full-frame bright focusing screen that you can use for accurate manual focus. The XT isn't really made for that in the least. If you're just starting out, you'd really be doing yourself a disservice trying to mess with that. I'd save up for a Canon-mount AF lens and I'd think you'll be a lot happier.
Link Posted: 10/2/2011 12:34:59 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
That was just a quick search.  You maybe able to find a much better one that allows for things like that.

Nope.  There is no way to use a adapter to put a Minolta lens on a Canon camera that will not function as a short macro extension tube.  The same problem exists when trying to use the older manual focus Canon lenses on current Canon bodies.
Link Posted: 10/2/2011 12:40:28 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:

It is not that simple.  Ignore the physical size and look at the aperture settings.  f/5.6 is always f/5.6 and f/4 is always larger than f/5.6 no matter how big the lens appears to be.
Link Posted: 10/2/2011 1:28:47 PM EDT
[#16]
Are you saying that F5.6 on one lens is equal to the same size as f5.6 on another lens?
Link Posted: 10/2/2011 1:42:10 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Are you saying that F5.6 on one lens is equal to the same size as f5.6 on another lens?

Yes though the actual physical size of the aperture maybe different (due to focal length number of elements etc)  but the amount of light that they let in will be very close to the same.

Link Posted: 10/2/2011 1:56:42 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Yes though the actual physical size of the aperture maybe different (due to focal length number of elements etc)  but the amount of light that they let in will be very close to the same.

I was hoping he was going to say that actually.  I just wanted to be sure he didn't have it wrong.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top