Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/28/2011 3:03:54 PM EDT
What are your thoughts/recommendations on a P&S that is a true pocket sized camera, that closes relatively flat, takes decent pictures, and is easy to use? It would be something my other half can throw in her purse when we are out and about, or take along when traveling and we don't feel like lugging one of the other cameras along.

I have a Nikon D3100 for my attempts at "real" photography. I also have an Olympus C740 Ultra Zoom (point and shoot) I have had for many years that takes good pictures, but isn't really small enough for what we are looking for now.

Thanks,

Dan.
Link Posted: 9/28/2011 3:17:24 PM EDT
[#1]
price range?
Link Posted: 9/28/2011 3:37:58 PM EDT
[#2]
I got my wife one of these last year in 14mp and it takes great pics, is very small, and relatively easy to use:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Sony+-+Cyber-shot+16.2-Megapixel+Digital+Camera+-+Black/2061095.p?id=1218307913360&skuId=2061095
Link Posted: 9/28/2011 3:42:40 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
price range?

Not a big concern, but something under $300 would be good, and closer to $200 even better.  Can't see getting too crazy for the intended purpose.

Dan.
Link Posted: 9/28/2011 4:11:05 PM EDT
[#4]
I just picked up a Canon PowerShot SX230 HS at Best Buy for a little under $300.  It's 12.1 megapixel with 14x optical zoom.  When powered off the lens tubes are flush with the case face.  Not quite as compact as the Sony mentioned above but small enough to fit in my shorts pocket without noticing it.

Although it's a simple point and shoot unlike most in its class you can play with settings found on SLR's like ISO, F-stop, continuous shooting, fish eye, etc.  I think if I had any gripes it would be the small size made it difficult to hold steady.  But that was while trying to photograph a Blue Angels airshow and capturing targets zooming by at a few hundred knots won't be its primary use.  Beware of the continuous shooting mode.  The battery seemed to be unexpectedly drained by the end of the day but I discovered after the fact that I'd snapped 2,000 photos in about 3 hours.

E-95
Link Posted: 9/28/2011 5:37:02 PM EDT
[#5]
I have a panasonic lumix, it's 14mp and the glass is great quality. It takes fantastic photos and only cost about $200 at Costco.

Here's a few pix I've taken with it...

Link Posted: 9/28/2011 6:44:58 PM EDT
[#6]
I know you've said that it will be your wife's purse camera and you want tiny, but what a perfect opportunity to fill another role . . .

Waterproof - Canon Powershot D10

Highspeed video - Casio EX-ZR100

Both between $200 and $300.
Link Posted: 9/28/2011 8:44:01 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
What are your thoughts/recommendations on a P&S that is a true pocket sized camera, that closes relatively flat, takes decent pictures, and is easy to use? It would be something my other half can throw in her purse when we are out and about, or take along when traveling and we don't feel like lugging one of the other cameras along.

I have a Nikon D3100 for my attempts at "real" photography. I also have an Olympus C740 Ultra Zoom (point and shoot) I have had for many years that takes good pictures, but isn't really small enough for what we are looking for now.

Thanks,

Dan.

Canon SD4000 IS

http://www.amazon.com/Canon-PowerShot-SD4000IS-Digital-Silver/dp/B003L77Y5I/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1317271461&sr=8-2

The best point and shoot under $300.
Link Posted: 9/30/2011 4:48:46 AM EDT
[#8]
not the smallest compact to be sure but the olympus stylus tough series are awesome. had mine 4 years and it's been dropped, gone into the water with me more times than I can count (both intentionally and not) multiple backpacking trips, sailing and kayaking trips. they really are damn durable little cams.
Link Posted: 10/1/2011 3:35:21 PM EDT
[#9]
We ended up picking up a Canon ELPH 300HS today.

It is really going to be a purse camera for my other half and with as small as this thing is, I think it will fit the bill just fine.  We are going on travel next weekend and really wanted to have something by then.  Some of the other choices I had narrowed down to, we wouldn't have been able to have by then (without paying ridiculous shipping charges).  My local Best Buy had the Canon in stock and was willing to match the "online only" deal they are running (free 4GB Sandisk SD card and a Lowepro camera bag on select camera purchases).

Anyway, thanks again for all the input.

Dan.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top