Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/11/2009 9:46:47 AM EDT
BF 3

Battlefield 3 confirmedBy Tor Thorsen, GameSpotPosted Jun 10, 2009 6:29 pm PTDuring financial presentation, EA COO John Pleasants reveals DICE is already hard at work on a new installment in the shooter franchise, due sometime during publisher's next fiscal year.

Though it helped put military multiplayer first-person shooters on the map, Electronic Arts' Battlefield franchise has seen itself outsold by the Call of Duty series in recent years. Granted, 2005's Battlefield 2 was a hit––selling more than 1 million units in the US, according to the NPD Group––as was its console spin-off, Battlefield 2: Modern Combat, which sold 1.2 million units domestically on the Xbox 360, Xbox, and PlayStation 2. However, 2007's Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare was the overall best-selling game of 2007 and has sold more than 8 million units domestically (according to NPD) and more than 15 million units worldwide (according to Activision).

Battlefield 2 was a hit––will Battlefield 3 also find glory?
Now, with the release of archrival Activision's Modern Warfare 2––developed by former EA employees at Infinity Ward––looming, EA is planning a comeback in the military shooter sector. Speaking at the William Blair & Company investor conference this week, EA COO John Pleasants revealed that, in addition to this year's sequel to the critically lauded, multiplatinum Battlefield: Bad Company, EA is planning a new installment in its core Battlefield franchise.

"We have a lot of IP in that [shooter] area, and we have not not noticed that Call of Duty has a significant share of that business," Pleasants told analysts during a question-and-answer session. "We are putting a real concentrated effort behind those titles. Battlefield happens to be one of them. ... I've had the luxury of looking at Battlefield 3 over at DICE over in Sweden. I was highly impressed by the way the people were working on that product. That's not for this fiscal year [ending March 31, 2010], but that is a product that is looking very good."

After saying that work on the download-only Battlefield 1943 (due in September) has been "going well," he said the Battlefield franchise is "strengthening and moving to a service model, and it has multiple titles within it which we can lever off of, so I am bullish on the Battlefield franchise, but it's not our only title which we are hoping to gain share with in the shooter category." He offered the forthcoming third-person shooter Army of Two: The 40th Day as another title that would court shooter fans
Link Posted: 6/11/2009 12:53:30 PM EDT
[#1]
  Can't wait!  Loved BF2, loved what PR did with it more.

Link Posted: 6/13/2009 9:06:13 PM EDT
[#2]
So will Wake Island be in the box release or a later patch?
Link Posted: 6/13/2009 10:35:39 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Are you thinking of BF 1943 which releases in a couple weeks?
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 6:47:20 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Quoted:

No, he is probably being serious.  That god forsaken map has been in every damned incarnation of Battlefield at some point.  I hate that map, but I am sure EA will find a way to put it into BF3.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 8:28:53 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

No, he is probably being serious.  That god forsaken map has been in every damned incarnation of Battlefield at some point.  I hate that map, but I am sure EA will find a way to put it into BF3.

Indeed

Link Posted: 6/15/2009 4:11:21 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Was it in battlefield vietnam?
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 7:40:14 PM EDT
[#7]
EA SUCKS.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 9:10:28 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Was it in battlefield vietnam?

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top