Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/26/2005 3:51:35 PM EDT
Well I have been trying to play for the last 20 min. Lag lag and more lag. Seems like everyone is having it. I guess they still have many bugs to work out. The lighting wich was supposed to be so good and looked so great in the screens looks like shit. Looks like a slightly improved old DOD with 3d iornsights on just a few guns.

They better work their stuff out soon because I am pissed.
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 7:47:01 PM EDT
[#1]
what kind of computer are yoou running?

I had some bad lag, but found a good powerful server and had no promblems since.
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 11:04:36 PM EDT
[#2]
I can't wait to get home from work and fire it up. Yes, I have no life whatsoever. At first I balked at the dea of paying for DOD, but I never paid for the 1st version, so I guess giving financial tribute to the authors isn't a bad thing to do. $17.95 is cheap for such a good game. Please note that this money would have gone to Electronic Arts if their sequel to Battlefield 1942 was worth a darn! But this thread isn't about bashing the evil corporate suits who run EA, so I'll wrap it up. Be on the lookout for a guy with a K98k Mauser. We're dangerous at a distance!

Galland

Link Posted: 9/28/2005 10:27:09 PM EDT
[#3]
After playing this game straight for two days, I can definately say I'm hooked. I think the weapon sounds are beefy and realistic-sounding. The MG-42 is awesome when heard from a distance, a low roar that sends hundreds of bullets everywhere. The main battle rifles are solid and they really feel like you're holding something heavy and painful.

The iron-sights aren't like in Call of Duty. They're not for quick snap-shots while running down the middle of the street. They're for when you need a precision aimed shot at a sniper or MG, or just need a closer look. I think they fit in just fine. One of the neat things that the MGs can do is deploy the bipod on any proper surface. That includes windowsills, crates, railings, you can even roll a barrel or box into the street and deploy off of that. Also, if a teammate crouches down in front of you, you can deploy on his shoulders, Just make sure he doesn't try to stand up.

The graphics are pretty good, and the HDR makes for a very cinematic experience. You really need a horse of a system to run it all on high, though. I had to crank everything down for my computer, but playing it on a friend's computer is a great experience.

As for this release only including 4 maps, the DoD team is working to convert ALL standard maps over to DoD:Source, and will be re-introducing the British army into the game. It's a good game now, and it's going to be a great game once all the content starts pouring in.

Had an AWESOME time last night playing, involving the new rifle-launched grenades. I was playing Anzio, keeping some Axis guys off the church plaza flag. I was up in the church tower shooting down with my M1 and keeping a few grenades down there on them. *bam* rifle grenade into my window. As soon as the guy launched that, 4 guys moved in on the flag assuming I had left the room to escape the grenade. No way man, I caught the grenade after it had bounced off the windowsill, and threw it right back down there. 4 kills, easy as pie. I couldn't help yelling "EXCUSE ME, YOU DROPPED THIS" through the microphone. (server alltalk was on, so both teams can hear each other)
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 1:24:42 PM EDT
[#4]
Well the little patch they put out the other day helped me alot. My FPS went up to 30-40 from 5-20. I still have to run everything on low though. I guess I will never know what HDR looks like.

How the hell do you pick up nades?
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 1:35:40 PM EDT
[#5]
If you lag constantly, try this out.  It helped a lot when I did it.

***UPDATED*** 24/09/05 VERY LOW FPS AND / OR CHOPPY PERFORMANCE IN-GAME
This is usually caused by trying to run the game in DirectX 9.0c mode on non-DX9 compliant graphics cards.

* Right-click game in Steam's "My Games" menu
   * Select "Properties"
   * Select "Launch options"
   * Add -dxlevel 80 to the command line and select "OK"
   * Launch the game from the Play Games menu - FPS should be better

Be aware that non-DX9 compliant hardware will not allow you to run HDR anyway, so you shouldn't be missing out on anything.
ALSO - The new update can get confused by old config.cfg files - try renaming your old ones and the game in question will create a fresh one which may improve performance.
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 2:23:57 PM EDT
[#6]
I have a Geforce FX 5200 ultra 128 mb.

Is my card DX 9 compatable?
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 4:35:21 PM EDT
[#7]
DoD Source is a big BLAH
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 7:21:04 PM EDT
[#8]
DoD:S is awesome!

I'm having a great time playing it...the sound is absolutely incredible, the graphics rock...its a great game.

And is it just me or does the gameplay seem faster?...several other people I know have commented on that, what do you guys think?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top