Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/3/2004 1:26:55 PM EDT
This is America's Army online game?  
I just discovered this the other day and it looks like a pretty amazing game.

Got a question or two for you folks that are involved.

I've never ventured into video gaming.  I did play my daughters Tomb Raider a couple of years back but am virtually witless in regard to this kind of stuff.
Would it be a total waste of time and energy for me to attempt this?  A waste of other players time?

I've read a bit about the game and it seems a serious team oriented game.  I'd hate to be fumbling about and goober up everyone else game were I to download and try to play this.

Any suggestions or thought for an utterly inexperienced fool?

Thanks!
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 3:54:24 PM EDT
[#1]
Its a great game, it CAN be very team oriented if you find the right group of guys. It is all online. Its endorsed by the US Army. Id say give it a go, after all it is free. Theres plenty of new guys playing all the time, so i dont think another would hurt. It will take awhile to get used to, you will probably get your ass kicked plenty. It takes time to get decent. Some people are very good tho. Just a few things i thought id point out, go download it, its free, give it a go. You can modify your M4s when you are SF qualified to a certain extent. Its the most realistic war game you will find. Good luck.
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 11:21:51 AM EDT
[#2]
yeah, try it out.  it takes some pratice though.  start with the training.  then, there are multiplayer training maps for new players.  you can also check out the different maps in single player to get familiar.
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 5:51:10 PM EDT
[#3]
Very fun game.  Just go at your own pace.  I dont know what kind of processor and video card you have so just be forwarned that it may not look as pretty as the pictures when you load it up.  I will have to dissagree with OD here and say that it is not the most realistic war game.  No bullet drop or ballistics for that matter (you basically have a cone of probability), no windage, and bullets are like lasers "basically".  The only delay is the lag time between the time you fire and the time the server gets that information.  Were talkin milliseconds here but at long range and for sniping (if your super good or want to be) it needs to be taken into account. For what it is (recruiting tool) though it is awsome.  I used to be within the top .014% of all players but got tired of people calling me a cheater so I basically quit.
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 8:55:53 PM EDT
[#4]
We were all bumbling fools when we first started.  Give it a go, it is a lot of fun!  Don't worry about goobering up peoples games.  After all, it is just a game.    
Link Posted: 10/16/2004 4:50:11 PM EDT
[#5]
The Devs can be real a$$holes...

Before the M9 came out, they basically said "There WILL NEVER BE pistols in AAO"

Then guess what? The Snipers got M9s/Makarov sidearms.

I also told them about a bug with the M4A1 and Trijicon Reflex Sight where if you are in the unzoomed position, you can clearly see your front iron sight and the Reflex Sight.

As you zoom in, you can see the iron sight being co-witnessed with the reflex sight, but once you're zoomed you do not see the front iron sight post at all.
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 1:03:44 PM EDT
[#6]
It's been a couple of weeks since you first posted, so you're probably a SF sergeant by now! If you still haven't taken the online plunge, try exploring an easy map offline first to get the hang of it, then go online. I suggest you start with the easiest map to play, Bridge Crossing, and take the defense side so you can just camp and let the action come to you.  

Since you're a complete newbie, follow these instructions to start an offline Bridge Crossing map:

When the first screen comes up after loading the game, hit the ~ key. This will bring up the console where you can enter commands to load a game. Type (without the quotes for any of these instructions) "start bridge" and hit return. After the bridge map loads hit the ~ again and type "mpcheat changeclass r" and hit return again, which put your handy dandy AR in your sweaty palms. Then type "playerlock 0" and hit return, so you can move around. Hit the ~ key again to get the console out of your way. You'll be starting from the assault side of the bridge so cross to the other end and explore all the places where you can take cover and fire from.  When you have a feel for it, join an online Bridge game and just follow the crowd for a while till you get the hang of it. Learn the simple commands for reporting in "u", and team talk "y" so you can appologize for shooting someone on your side (called a TK for Team Kill).

Hope this helps newbie's take the plunge. Yes, the adrenalin can really flow as if real bullets are flying past your noggin!
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 6:26:44 PM EDT
[#7]
Hey, USNvet. Thanks for taking the time to answer my post and to give me some fine advise.
Life has been  a little out of hand of late and I am just now getting back to snuff, as it were.

I did download something called "Full Spectrum Warrior" demo just to see if I could figure out the console and not be utterly lame in the AA scenario.   Then the SHTF and I have been gone.

I do expect to make the leap into AA in the near future when life gives me a little breather and I appreciate the advise.

Hope to see you on the virtual battlefield some day in the not too distant future.
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 8:28:17 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Hey, USNvet. Thanks for taking the time to answer my post and to give me some fine advise.
Life has been  a little out of hand of late and I am just now getting back to snuff, as it were.

I didn't want to overwhelm you with console commands so I just posted enough to get you started. There are tons more console commands you can play with to try out all the maps and weapons. You can even set up dummies that will shoot at you. Have fun learning:

forum.americasarmy.com/viewtopic.php?t=127
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top