BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 79
Link Posted: 2/14/2020 3:13:25 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 2/14/2020 11:04:01 AM EDT
[#2]
I'd have to find a new home if I bought the WinWing, was bad enough when I purchased a used Warthog.
Link Posted: 2/16/2020 10:58:52 PM EDT
[#3]
Anyone know the best place to get trackir?
Link Posted: 2/16/2020 11:21:16 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By StealthGuy:
Anyone know the best place to get trackir?
View Quote
You're off better ordering the cheapest VR headset you can find.
Link Posted: 2/16/2020 11:22:36 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By flightmed:
I'd have to find a new home if I bought the WinWing, was bad enough when I purchased a used Warthog.
View Quote
I'm running 2 different throttles and 4 different sticks. Looking at the winwing, mainly since it may become modular, but the whole chinesium bit turns me off somewhat until they actually have decent track record of performance and customer service.
Link Posted: 2/16/2020 11:27:03 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Harlikwin] [#6]
Originally Posted By marmelstien:

Standalone
View Quote
STEAM... Why? Because bandwith, ED doesn't have it. Plus you don't get to be the day 1 victim of their "shitware" upgrades, usually they bork those bad enough that steam rejects them, so they get fixed.

Take the last 2.5.6 release. Its literally fetid dogshit from what I read. It was so bad it caused various AV software to count it as a virus and it broke steam. VR performance, sucks dick. Lighting gimme a break, it induces seizures in half the old modules. Performance? Yup, yum down a bag of dicks, oh wait, VR, double dick action for you... Play online? Well fuck you too, 2.5.6 breaks all that. Fuck ED, and their semi literate vodka drinking half assed "upgrade".

On the plus side most server owners have rolled back to 2.5.5 as should you.
Link Posted: 2/16/2020 11:32:53 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By Harlikwin:

STEAM... Why? Because bandwith, ED doesn't have it. Plus you don't get to be the day 1 victim of their "shitware" upgrades, usually they bork those bad enough that steam rejects them, so they get fixed.

Take the last 2.5.6 release. Its literally fetid dogshit from what I read. It was so bad it caused various AV software to count it as a virus and it broke steam. VR performance, sucks dick. Lighting gimme a break, it induces seizures in half the old modules. Performance? Yup, yum down a bag of dicks, oh wait, VR, double dick action for you... Play online? Well fuck you too, 2.5.6 breaks all that. Fuck ED, and their semi literate vodka drinking half assed "upgrade".

View Quote
ItS a BeTa JuSt PlAy StAbLe
Link Posted: 2/16/2020 11:33:52 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Keekleberrys] [#8]
Link Posted: 2/17/2020 10:35:19 AM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By GilenusX207:

ItS a BeTa JuSt PlAy StAbLe
View Quote
Its more like an alpha with the amount of crashes and the fact its broken MP servers. And yes a good number of people have reverted back, but stuff like this build shouldn't unleashed on the player base IMO. But its part of a vicious cycle of releasing stuff that's half baked then spending a ton more extra time fixing it. Then players are pissed at slow progress elsewhere.
Link Posted: 2/17/2020 11:02:38 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Harlikwin] [#10]
Originally Posted By Keekleberrys:

Do you spend any time actually playing the game or just bitching about it here. Good god man it’s getting old.
View Quote
I spend plenty of time with it, probably too much, especially on MP at this point and generally speaking have a good time. This entire weekend the MP servers were either empty or offline, which was lame. And likely will continue for some time. So mainly i complain when something is broken and I cant actually enjoy DCS.

Which is why I get upset when they bork VR and MP at the same time for a dubious "feature" that most players don't care that much about. I don't see anyone bitching about how ugly DCS is, cuz its not, its gorgeous. What VR players have complained about for 2+ years is poor VR performance (which wasn't always the case prior to deferred shading). So yeah I'm a bit upset about this "two-fer", where running a 2080ti and 9700k and my reverb, I get high 20ish frame rates near cities again on maps with no units and the new SSLR feature turned OFF.  I cant throw more hardware at the problem. But for reference i can run other games near 90fps in vr.

Moreover I have zero faith in ED actually "fixing" it for VR users as they have already denied the problem actually exists, despite numerous posts to the contrary. Just like the much awaited VR improvements turned out to be a total nothingburger a few months back. So, while I can be on "Stable" for now, in 2-4 weeks when this gets pushed to stable I'm hosed.

So pardon me for bitching.
Link Posted: 2/17/2020 4:53:11 PM EDT
[#11]
Man that patch really shit the bed didn't it.
Link Posted: 2/17/2020 4:53:39 PM EDT
[#12]
I don't know if any of you ThunderChiefs spend any time on the Just Dogfight servers, but I do, too much time.  Last night I jumped on and usually end up in the 'AIR' arena, Fox 2's and guns.  After getting my ass pushed in I noticed a few things.  The F-14 has an awesome flight model, the buffering and other mach/G indicators really make it fun to fly.  The gun sight works really well and the gun magazine is big, and you get bonus cool guy points if you get in the saddle ad get a guns kill while listening to Great Balls of Fire double bonus points if it's a Mig-28.  The F/A-18 FM seems too arcade once you've spent too much time in the Tomcat, no buffeting no G indications, just heavy breathing.  The F/A-18's 9X is broken in this server and I had some odd gun sight behavior.  Third, the F-15 is almost UFO like in it's abilities in BFM.  The things were turning inside of my Hornet and even F-5E at low altitudes and speeds.  Lastly, the Guns only arena on this server is the real hotness.  I've spent several nights in that fur ball and learned more about BFM there than anywhere else.  In the guns fight if you lose sight you lose the fight.  If you can't see the red air, you just got jumped or are about to get jumped so turn maneuver and find the bad guy.

Fly (pretend) Navy
Link Posted: 2/17/2020 5:03:47 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 2/17/2020 5:06:14 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 2/17/2020 5:26:08 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By RichieRich3902:
I don't know if any of you ThunderChiefs spend any time on the Just Dogfight servers, but I do, too much time.  Last night I jumped on and usually end up in the 'AIR' arena, Fox 2's and guns.  After getting my ass pushed in I noticed a few things.  The F-14 has an awesome flight model, the buffering and other mach/G indicators really make it fun to fly.  The gun sight works really well and the gun magazine is big, and you get bonus cool guy points if you get in the saddle ad get a guns kill while listening to Great Balls of Fire double bonus points if it's a Mig-28.  The F/A-18 FM seems too arcade once you've spent too much time in the Tomcat, no buffeting no G indications, just heavy breathing.  The F/A-18's 9X is broken in this server and I had some odd gun sight behavior.  Third, the F-15 is almost UFO like in it's abilities in BFM.  The things were turning inside of my Hornet and even F-5E at low altitudes and speeds.  Lastly, the Guns only arena on this server is the real hotness.  I've spent several nights in that fur ball and learned more about BFM there than anywhere else.  In the guns fight if you lose sight you lose the fight.  If you can't see the red air, you just got jumped or are about to get jumped so turn maneuver and find the bad guy.

Fly (pretend) Navy
View Quote
I honestly am only interested in Naval/Marine simviation at this point. The Tomcat, a Navy F-4, Intruder, Crusader, those will keep me simming for the foreseeable future no matter the platform they are on, DCS of MSFS or if Heatblur breaks out and does their own naval aviation sim.

At this point as well I don't want to come back to DCS until I can get a Virpil stick/base/extension and get head tracking. I figure by that time the Forrestal may be done and some more work to the DCS engine can be ironed out. Got to finish this SPR build then I think I'll get the stick on order.
Link Posted: 2/17/2020 5:28:00 PM EDT
[#16]
And further on that note, ED really should work with 3rd parties to fill out the "eras", because an F4U-4, F9F Panther, and F2H Banshee with a 50s Essex would be absolutely neat. And naturally we need a Korean War map to actually enjoy that in.
Link Posted: 2/17/2020 6:04:57 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Harlikwin] [#17]

Fly (pretend) Navy
View Quote
Yeah, the F14 is probably my favorite bird to fly for dogfighting, followed by the mig21. You gotta work for it, and both have excellent FM's IMO. (hows  that for something good to say Kek?)
The F18 is FWB so in "theory" it isn't going to let you do those bad things at the edge of the envelope so that's why "in theory" you don't get the buffeting. Having never flown a FBW plane it kinda makes sense to me, but also kinda not. But that's the explanation, you want ARCADE mode, go fly the M2k, its on RAILS and it turns on a dime, again, is that realistic? IDK. The F15 is a monster, but also its supposed to be IRL too but the simplified avionics means that the gun reticle/radar stuff is way easier and overpowered IMO. Most of the FC3 planes are bit over the top IMO, but they balance well against each other.
Link Posted: 2/17/2020 6:09:32 PM EDT
[#18]

Sorry i wasnt trying to be a dick, its just it seemed like you never have anything good to say
View Quote
No worries. Recently there was a 30min video entitled something like "DCS a beautiful mess". That sums up most of my feelings about it. DCS is amazing, when it works but at the same time its lacking so much and it could be so much more if that makes sense. And I spend a lot of time getting people into the game and into VR as much as I can, so I think overall its "good", but at the same time "bad". That's my position on it, so when ED shits the bed yet again on new version release its frustrating. I also know they will do their best to fix it, but at the same time, just like with the viper, this could have been held back a week for extra testing and fixing. I mean the patch notes even say we broke the L39 and 109, deal with it. I mean, really? I don't fly those planes much, but if I did I'd be way more pissed and feel bad for the guys that do.
Link Posted: 2/17/2020 6:10:13 PM EDT
[#19]
just ordered a ryzen 3700x and new board. way past due for an upgraded.
View Quote
Why AMD? Cost?
Link Posted: 2/17/2020 6:11:59 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By lancecriminal86:
And further on that note, ED really should work with 3rd parties to fill out the "eras", because an F4U-4, F9F Panther, and F2H Banshee with a 50s Essex would be absolutely neat. And naturally we need a Korean War map to actually enjoy that in.
View Quote
Yeah its being very slowly worked on. M3 is doing a WW2 Essex class for the F4U, and presumably will "upgrade it" to the 50's for the F8J. For whatever Korea era seems to have the lowest priority.
Link Posted: 2/17/2020 6:47:11 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 2/17/2020 6:49:47 PM EDT
[#22]

Yeah, the F14 is probably my favorite bird to fly for dogfighting, followed by the mig21. You gotta work for it, and both have excellent FM's IMO. (hows  that for something good to say Kek?)
The F18 is FWB so in "theory" it isn't going to let you do those bad things at the edge of the envelope so that's why "in theory" you don't get the buffeting. Having never flown a FBW plane it kinda makes sense to me, but also kinda not. But that's the explanation, you want ARCADE mode, go fly the M2k, its on RAILS and it turns on a dime, again, is that realistic? IDK. The F15 is a monster, but also its supposed to be IRL too but the simplified avionics means that the gun reticle/radar stuff is way easier and overpowered IMO. Most of the FC3 planes are bit over the top IMO, but they balance well against each other.
View Quote
I never really thought much about the Hornet and it's FBW.  I guess I need to get the F-15 mapped to my HOTAS so I can give it a try some night.  I'm really looking forward to the mid 60's Vietnam era stuff.  I'd love to fly the navalized Phantom, A-6A or even the E, and the F8.  If it's developed right the F8 will be a beast in the guns only arenas.
Link Posted: 2/17/2020 6:53:36 PM EDT
[#23]
just ordered a ryzen 3700x and new board. way past due for an upgraded.
View Quote
I just upgraded to a 3600 from a 1500x.  You're going to like the upgrade.
Link Posted: 2/17/2020 9:06:56 PM EDT
[#24]

that played a part of it, and how well they are reviewed, i also think intel is complacent and needs to be taught a lesson. ive actually never owned an amd before.
View Quote
Let us know how it does, I went with the conventional DCS wisdom of more GHZ the better since it can't effectively use more than one core. And for single core benchmarks the intels do still do better.
Link Posted: 2/17/2020 9:11:12 PM EDT
[#25]

I never really thought much about the Hornet and it's FBW.  I guess I need to get the F-15 mapped to my HOTAS so I can give it a try some night.  I'm really looking forward to the mid 60's Vietnam era stuff.  I'd love to fly the navalized Phantom, A-6A or even the E, and the F8.  If it's developed right the F8 will be a beast in the guns only arenas.
View Quote
Yeah, the FC3 stuff is actually kind of a pain to fly in VR because you can't click on anything so you have to map everything to the HOTAS. The Eagle accelerates like a fucking rocket and holds its E very well. The other sleeper in that regard is the mig29, also very good on dogfight servers. But I mostly fly clicky planes and not FC3 anymore (I just wish the FC3 planes were all clicky).

Naval wise, HB are hopefully gonna do an A6E, and M3 is doing the F8J, both top tier developers along with Deka. My big fear is that HB is gonna get out of DCS after the F14 now that they are their own full fledged sim company.

Its funny but I think people are going to be a bit disappointed with the F8 for dogfighting based on the reading I'm doing of its performance. I mean it wasn't bad, but the Mig21 was better in several areas.
Link Posted: 2/17/2020 9:42:58 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Keekleberrys] [#26]
Link Posted: 2/17/2020 10:07:06 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Harlikwin] [#27]

Will do, I was on the fence but one of my friends brought up a good point, the new XBox X and PS5 are based on 3700x 8 cores. So its likely games will start taking more advantage of multiple cores, a minor point but it pushed me to the other side.
View Quote
Im sure other games will. And i think dcs might try, but i doubt dcs will use 8 cores. Im hoping for like 4 when vulkan comes.
Link Posted: 2/18/2020 12:40:15 AM EDT
[#28]
Any of you have any problems logging in to the game?

I know for a fact my login and password are correct but its telling me they aren't.
Link Posted: 2/18/2020 1:04:23 AM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By Seth_Livzz:
Any of you have any problems logging in to the game?

I know for a fact my login and password are correct but its telling me they aren't.
View Quote
Yep, I can't login on Steam version.

At least I don't seem to be suffering the performance hit other VR users are with 2.5.6.

The visuals at dawn are incredible; shitty screenshot doesn't do it justice.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/18/2020 1:22:28 AM EDT
[#30]
I’m rocking an R7 3700X it’s dope, running at 4.27 or something. I’m capped by my gpu evga 2060sc. Eventually I might grab something bigger but I’m pulling a solid 45fps after VR optimization.
Link Posted: 2/18/2020 8:56:09 AM EDT
[#31]

Fly (pretend) Navy
View Quote
JDF is where I spend most of my online time anymore.  Agreed, lots of fun!  Guns Only is fun....until it's not, lol.  I usually do the 1v1 areas if there's a slot.  Hope to run into you sometime!
Link Posted: 2/18/2020 9:18:44 AM EDT
[#32]

View Quote
thanks for your constructive answer to my original question
Link Posted: 2/18/2020 3:55:54 PM EDT
[Last Edit: DirkericPitt] [#33]
New update is fine for me.  Didn't see any performance drops in VR,  and no issues in multiplayer.  Im not on steam though
Link Posted: 2/18/2020 5:42:13 PM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By KingAirDriver:
JDF is where I spend most of my online time anymore.  Agreed, lots of fun!  Guns Only is fun....until it's not, lol.  I usually do the 1v1 areas if there's a slot.  Hope to run into you sometime!
View Quote
I go by Zippo in MP, since that's usually what the good pilots turn me into.
Link Posted: 2/18/2020 6:34:29 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Harlikwin] [#35]

Yep, I can't login on Steam version.

At least I don't seem to be suffering the performance hit other VR users are with 2.5.6.

The visuals at dawn are incredible; shitty screenshot doesn't do it justice.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/114418/Screen_200217_205548_png-1280993.JPG
View Quote
I will say the 2.5.6 looks a lot better, especially in my reverb that was all washed out in the previous version. And weirdly after going 2.5.5->2.5.6->2.5.5->2.5.6 it has actually "fixed" some performance issues I was seeing. I'd say there is definitely still a hit, albeit more like 10-15% rather than the 30-40% I was seeing previously. I actually just managed to get on the JDF server and kill some guys and after a bit of tweaking steamVR and DCS gfx I can mostly hold 45fps online. But its still a server with minimal units. Still plenty of lighting bugs and problems though, but not unplayable.

I did find a super annoying VR graphical glitch with the Jeff though. Hopefully that can be fixed fast.
Link Posted: 2/18/2020 6:35:55 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Harlikwin] [#36]
Originally Posted By marmelstien:

thanks for your constructive answer to my original question
View Quote
Ya velkome!

Well its true, people always complain about day 1 releases with ED/servers. Steam is FAST, it took like 20 min to download like 20gb each time I switched versions. Otherwise though we are 2nd class customers for ED. Though they eventually get around to us.
Link Posted: 2/18/2020 6:37:22 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Harlikwin] [#37]
Originally Posted By DirkericPitt:
New update is fine for me.  Didn't see any performance drops in VR,  and no issues in multiplayer.  Im not on steam though
View Quote
From what I understand most of the major MP servers had problems IF they were running carriers (Stennis specifically), I think the memory leaks/crashes are related to that. I was just on JDF for some aeroquake and it was fine. It looks like several other minor PVE servers figured it out. So it will depend on ED to fix it or server owners to modify their scripts/code.
Link Posted: 2/18/2020 8:31:59 PM EDT
[#38]

From what I understand most of the major MP servers had problems IF they were running carriers (Stennis specifically), I think the memory leaks/crashes are related to that. I was just on JDF for some aeroquake and it was fine. It looks like several other minor PVE servers figured it out. So it will depend on ED to fix it or server owners to modify their scripts/code.
View Quote
Agreed, I was on JDF earlier and it was running better for me now that the Stennis is out. (Non-Steam)
Link Posted: 2/18/2020 9:33:55 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Alaskanforfreedom] [#39]

Yeah, the FC3 stuff is actually kind of a pain to fly in VR because you can't click on anything so you have to map everything to the HOTAS. The Eagle accelerates like a fucking rocket and holds its E very well. The other sleeper in that regard is the mig29, also very good on dogfight servers. But I mostly fly clicky planes and not FC3 anymore (I just wish the FC3 planes were all clicky).

Naval wise, HB are hopefully gonna do an A6E, and M3 is doing the F8J, both top tier developers along with Deka. My big fear is that HB is gonna get out of DCS after the F14 now that they are their own full fledged sim company.

Its funny but I think people are going to be a bit disappointed with the F8 for dogfighting based on the reading I'm doing of its performance. I mean it wasn't bad, but the Mig21 was better in several areas.
View Quote
I think this is everyone's mindset after they get used to the clickers and upgrade from FC3 planes. It's ironic how everyone recommends FC3 for newbs but the click planes are actually easier because you don't have to remember 87 different hot keys for different things, if you forget how to do something look for the sensor, or control panel on the plane and just click the switch. I guess the FC planes are good for getting used to looking at sensors and while flying. ETA: I am downloading the new update on Steam now hopefully it doesn't make any of my aircraft unusable.
Link Posted: 2/18/2020 10:35:31 PM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By Alaskanforfreedom:
ETA: I am downloading the new update on Steam now hopefully it doesn't make any of my aircraft unusable.
View Quote
Outside of the L-39 and Dora (game crash upon engine startup), I don't think 2.5.6 affects aircraft themselves too much.

This guy put together a complete changelog based on the code.  Looks like ED is laying the ground work for airborne operations.

https://www.reddit.com/r/hoggit/comments/f5l2th/loooong_post_digging_into_the_game_files_256/
Link Posted: 2/19/2020 8:54:42 PM EDT
[#41]
I think this is everyone's mindset after they get used to the clickers and upgrade from FC3 planes. It's ironic how everyone recommends FC3 for newbs but the click planes are actually easier because you don't have to remember 87 different hot keys for different things, if you forget how to do something look for the sensor, or control panel on the plane and just click the switch. I guess the FC planes are good for getting used to looking at sensors and while flying. ETA: I am downloading the new update on Steam now hopefully it doesn't make any of my aircraft unusable.
View Quote
Yeah, in a way that true about clicky planes being easier in that regard, but they are more complex for takeoff/landing, procedures, actually using the sensors. And most guys that start of are using flat screens and keyboards. I generally just recommend a simple clicky module for new guys using VR, usually the F5.

Update broke, the 109 and L39 IIRC. And various modules have weird lighting bugs.
Link Posted: 2/19/2020 8:55:43 PM EDT
[#42]

Outside of the L-39 and Dora (game crash upon engine startup), I don't think 2.5.6 affects aircraft themselves too much.

This guy put together a complete changelog based on the code.  Looks like ED is laying the ground work for airborne operations.

https://www.reddit.com/r/hoggit/comments/f5l2th/loooong_post_digging_into_the_game_files_256/
View Quote
I'm actually more interested in the large variety of CBU's added as well as the multiple different harm versions. But yeah, bomber formations and paradrops are presumably a thing for the new WW2 map.
Link Posted: 2/19/2020 11:37:20 PM EDT
[#43]
CBU’s will only work if ED gets their collective heads out of their asses and fix the arcade damage models. As it stands CBU’s are useless in game on anything larger than a troop concentration or a truck park.
Link Posted: 2/19/2020 11:44:08 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 2/20/2020 12:34:39 AM EDT
[#45]
I bought the F14 last weekend and am having issues launching off the Stennis in SP missions, I am playing one of the mission files that is included with the module and after I connect to the launcher I spool up to mil power and hit the default LShift+U keys and it won't even launch. I doubled checked my bindings and even binded to an unused key on my HOTAS and tried again and nothing. Never had an issue before I am thinking this is the latest update. Anyone else having issues?
Link Posted: 2/20/2020 1:06:36 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Keekleberrys] [#46]
Link Posted: 2/20/2020 2:15:21 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Harlikwin] [#47]
I bought the F14 last weekend and am having issues launching off the Stennis in SP missions, I am playing one of the mission files that is included with the module and after I connect to the launcher I spool up to mil power and hit the default LShift+U keys and it won't even launch. I doubled checked my bindings and even binded to an unused key on my HOTAS and tried again and nothing. Never had an issue before I am thinking this is the latest update. Anyone else having issues?
View Quote
Yes latest update problem. In general anything with carriers is suspect w last update. Hopefully new fix today or tomorrow.
Link Posted: 2/20/2020 2:51:17 PM EDT
[#48]

Yes latest update problem. In general anything with carriers is suspect w last update. Hopefully new fix today or tomorrow.
View Quote
Yeah I just read that on the ED forum. Hopefully they fix it, I just felt like I was just starting to get the hang of it.
Link Posted: 2/20/2020 3:30:37 PM EDT
[#49]
Aaaand the new update still hasnt fixed MP issues. Most major servers are still on stable.
Link Posted: 2/21/2020 8:44:07 PM EDT
[#50]
DCS has a sale on all the helos. Just picked it up. Can’t wait to Vietnam in the Huey.
Page / 79
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top