Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 79
Link Posted: 1/5/2020 8:51:06 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By RichieRich3902:
Not to derail much, but what HOTAS or stick combo are you all using?
View Quote
T16000 for the throttle, I use the left/right axis as a rudder, and the Warthog joystick.
Link Posted: 1/5/2020 9:12:47 PM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By RichieRich3902:
Ok nice. I had been using all T.16000 throttle stick and rudder. My wife bought me a warthog throttle for Christmas so I was wondering if it’s worth going to the warthog stick too?
View Quote
So... I fly with multiple sticks and throttles. This is a fucking pain in DCS for the simple reason, while each base is unique USB id, so if you have 2 warthog sticks (like 1 f18 and 1 F16) you can't map the same buttons as "shift" as one example.

The WH F16 stick is decent IMO, I've got 2 and a cougar kicking around plus the F18 stick. The main difference stepping up to higher end stuff like vipril or VKB versus the WH is that they can be tensioned to your liking and have distinct X/T axes, while the WH does not as much (which is great for Helos actually). I generally prefer the lighter feel of the WH to the other bases, with extensions. The physical stick is great, metal, solid, can beat people that interrupt your gaming session with it etc. Also, many vipril and VKB sticks can be made to somewhat work with the base. I should point out that the other sticks are plastic, so the WH ones have much better hand feel.
Link Posted: 1/5/2020 9:16:19 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By CropDusterC6:

Yes, especially for the A10/F16.  Your workload will be a lot easier and more natural when you have the actual HOTAS of the plane you're flying.  TMS, DMS, CMS become intuitive.
View Quote
Precisely, I have a perfect setup for the F16, A10 (and F15 if they ever make it). And an almost perfect one for the JF-17 (need to think about how best to fuck up a cougar throttle to add another 4 way switch instead of a rotarty). It is super intuitive in VR, especially when the buttons are animated. I'm also waiting for the F18 throttle to be available from the chinese manufacturer separately from the stick. If I someone would make a harrier Throttle quad I'd be super happy.
Link Posted: 1/5/2020 9:26:58 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By Harlikwin:

Precisely, I have a perfect setup for the F16, A10 (and F15 if they ever make it). And an almost perfect one for the JF-17 (need to think about how best to fuck up a cougar throttle to add another 4 way switch instead of a rotarty). It is super intuitive in VR, especially when the buttons are animated. I'm also waiting for the F18 throttle to be available from the chinese manufacturer separately from the stick. If I someone would make a harrier Throttle quad I'd be super happy.
View Quote
anyone noticed that the harrier and the hornet have very similar stick, but the castle switch and the trim hat are inverted. I must admit, I don't like the hornet setup up. id rather have the trim right above my thumb and not offset.
Link Posted: 1/5/2020 10:16:44 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Harlikwin] [#5]
Originally Posted By Shung:

anyone noticed that the harrier and the hornet have very similar stick, but the castle switch and the trim hat are inverted. I must admit, I don't like the hornet setup up. id rather have the trim right above my thumb and not offset.
View Quote
Yup. Among my other ideas in the "Really stupid pile" is to buy yet another grip and switch them. Or buy the winwing chicom grip and then mod the TM to a harrier stick... I have 5 "good sticks/bases" and at least 2 more that I'm thinking about. DCS is worse than BRD...
Link Posted: 1/6/2020 4:53:40 AM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By flightmed:
I'm excited for their F15E.  Hopefully the rumours I've heard about it being front seat only with no option for live WSOs aren't true.  Spent many days in high school watching the 15s at Bitburg come and go, huge 15 fan.
View Quote
What a small world.  I was stationed there, which also explains my adoration of the greatest non-stealth fighter ever built.
Link Posted: 1/6/2020 11:41:38 AM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By Seth_Livzz:

What a small world.  I was stationed there, which also explains my adoration of the greatest non-stealth fighter ever built.
View Quote
When were you there?
Link Posted: 1/6/2020 11:55:07 AM EDT
[#8]

View Quote
Its too bad raz will fuck it up.
Link Posted: 1/6/2020 12:33:42 PM EDT
[#9]

View Quote
This.
Link Posted: 1/6/2020 1:43:22 PM EDT
[#10]
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

That's what I fear as well.

When were you there?
89 - 91

You?
Link Posted: 1/6/2020 11:24:11 PM EDT
[#11]
91-93
Link Posted: 1/6/2020 11:59:14 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Harlikwin] [#12]

That's what I fear as well.
View Quote
Its ok, I mean I flew the Raz version of the stike eagle waaay back in the 80's I think I can remember my training...

It even came with an early version of the PG map

I keed, I keed, I'm sure it will be just as good as the Micropose namesake! White Knights of Razbam don't hate me!
Link Posted: 1/7/2020 12:20:51 AM EDT
[#13]
Probably a silly question but I don't want to jump into a multiplayer server and make an ass out of myself right out of the gate.

I see on a lot of servers there are the same model aircraft on both Red and Blue.  How do you ID friend vs enemy online in this instance?

Are there set ground target objectives or are you just bombing shit for fun or to clear out AA?
Link Posted: 1/7/2020 11:47:21 AM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By Towely:
Probably a silly question but I don't want to jump into a multiplayer server and make an ass out of myself right out of the gate.

I see on a lot of servers there are the same model aircraft on both Red and Blue.  How do you ID friend vs enemy online in this instance?

Are there set ground target objectives or are you just bombing shit for fun or to clear out AA?
View Quote
So the answer is it totally depends on which server you are talking about.

It sounds like you are looking at PVP servers, maybe Growling Sidewinder. In that case as we have mentioned know how the IFF system on your bird works. If there is human GCI, you can always ask them "declare" and give bra to your target. If not at least call "Raygun" and alt of your target on your team freq and if someone comes back with "Buddy spike" F18/14/16 or whatever you are flying that's a friendly. Some servers like Just dogfight also use labels sometimes but those are total crutch.

Most good PVP servers revolve around capturing airfields and FARPs, the usual way to do it is to destroy whatever AA is at the airfield, whatever ground troops are there and then have a chopper guy drop friendly troops there, followed by repair crates. Some PVE servers do this too (GAW as an example).
Link Posted: 1/7/2020 12:37:48 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Towely] [#15]

It sounds like you are looking at PVP servers, maybe Growling Sidewinder. In that case as we have mentioned know how the IFF system on your bird works. If there is human GCI, you can always ask them "declare" and give bra to your target. If not at least call "Raygun" and alt of your target on your team freq and if someone comes back with "Buddy spike" F18/14/16 or whatever you are flying that's a friendly. Some servers like Just dogfight also use labels sometimes but those are total crutch.

Most good PVP servers revolve around capturing airfields and FARPs, the usual way to do it is to destroy whatever AA is at the airfield, whatever ground troops are there and then have a chopper guy drop friendly troops there, followed by repair crates. Some PVE servers do this too (GAW as an example).
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Thanks for the info.  I'll be just flying an F-5 for now(hence the issue IDing red or blue) which seems terribly outgunned on all the modern servers that are full of F18s, 16s, 14s, and the occassional M2000.

Are the helis actually fun to fly in MP or is it just that occasionally a field gets cleared out so someone jumps in a helicopter quick to cap it?

Was looking at grabbing the Huey as I've always loved helicopter Sims but not sure how much I'd be able to use it.
Link Posted: 1/7/2020 1:03:51 PM EDT
[#16]

Thanks for the info.  I'll be just flying an F-5 for now(hence the issue IDing red or blue) which seems terribly outgunned on all the modern servers that are full of F18s, 16s, 14s, and the occassional M2000.

Are the helis actually fun to fly in MP or is it just that occasionally a field gets cleared out so someone jumps in a helicopter quick to cap it?

Was looking at grabbing the Huey as I've always loved helicopter Sims but not sure how much I'd be able to use it.
View Quote
Oh F5... LOL I'm not sure how IFF even works in it anymore. Check out the cold war server with the F5, its basically F5 v mig21, visual ID rules mostly. Its usually empty though. Just dogfight you can do ok in an F5 since everyone is only carrying heaters. You'll mostly just get pwned on most of the other PVP servers with it, but it is a staple point defense fighter on blueflag once you run out of your cool-guy lives. And speaking of blueflag the F5 isn't terrible on the Cauc map, its more 80's based so tons of weapon restrictions (no fox3s). But again, usually not a lot of people on.

Yeah, helis are fun in MP, I flew them much more on PVE servers where something like the KA50 can just wreck the shit out various targets on GAW and you can avoid enemy air fairly well. The transport helis can be fun, but mostly offline with the campaigns built for them. Online you are basically very slow, very vulnerable and a priority target since you are brining troops to capture stuff or repair crates. But you can be a bastard and deploy sam sites or things like arty as well on most servers. I particularly like sneaking up enemy airfields and dropping off a stinger team near approach and landing paths, or if you are a real dick an SA6 that covers the base. Prior to everyone having TPODS dropping JTAC's was a farily critical job too, but not anymore. So its just a very different sort of game. The huey isn't a bad choice for a first helo, its probably the easiest to fly IMO, but I like the Mi-8 mainly cuz I can set the AP and f-off doing something else on the 20+ minute flight while hoping some passing fighter doesn't get vectored on me and I die.
Link Posted: 1/8/2020 5:44:09 PM EDT
[#17]
My Reverb showed up the other day. Install was a breeze once I realized I need to use DCS through Steam. There’s no going back to anything other than VR!
Link Posted: 1/8/2020 9:14:00 PM EDT
[#18]
My Reverb showed up the other day. Install was a breeze once I realized I need to use DCS through Steam. There's no going back to anything other than VR!
View Quote
Spot on.
After VR, nothing compares
Link Posted: 1/8/2020 11:58:44 PM EDT
[#19]
My Reverb showed up the other day. Install was a breeze once I realized I need to use DCS through Steam. There’s no going back to anything other than VR!
View Quote
Welcome to VR master race. You even missed the shitty 1.0 version...
Link Posted: 1/9/2020 8:38:55 AM EDT
[#20]

Welcome to VR master race. You even missed the shitty 1.0 version...
View Quote
Was holding out as long as I could till I thought the tech was worth the price.  Was impressed with my brothers rift s but the SDE was almost overpowering. After reading that some people with that issue with the rift s don’t have have it with the reverb I went ahead and found one on eBay for a decent price.  I have to say, the SDE is still there but nowhere near as pronounced. I’m very happy with it.  Now for the tech to expand the FOV...
Link Posted: 1/9/2020 6:41:50 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Harlikwin] [#21]

Was holding out as long as I could till I thought the tech was worth the price.  Was impressed with my brothers rift s but the SDE was almost overpowering. After reading that some people with that issue with the rift s don’t have have it with the reverb I went ahead and found one on eBay for a decent price.  I have to say, the SDE is still there but nowhere near as pronounced. I’m very happy with it.  Now for the tech to expand the FOV...
View Quote
Sure that was a rift-S? Not a CV1 (original), cuz its real bad in the CV1, I have heard the rift-s is siginificantly improved.

I don't see anything I'd call SDE in the reverb, mura though.

FOV vs PPD (res/clarity) is currently a zero sum game, you get one at the expense of the other, so don't hold your breath.
Link Posted: 1/10/2020 3:32:24 PM EDT
[#22]
Until something like VulkanAPI hits and VR becomes more "easily" viable without requiring a 2080TI and 9900 CPU, I think I'm going to do TrackIR for now till DCS is better set up for VR.

Now the fun part is, should I just get the kit with head clip? I have an HGU-55 to mount it on as a dedicated VR setup and wanted to know if there were better head tracking solutions.
Link Posted: 1/10/2020 3:36:06 PM EDT
[#23]
TrackIR is pretty much the standard for head tracking, but I like the Delanclip as the headset portion since it's made of metal rather than fragile plastic.

I was interested in an EDTracker but it's only a 3DOF tracker.
Link Posted: 1/10/2020 3:44:05 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By lancecriminal86:
Until something like VulkanAPI hits and VR becomes more "easily" viable without requiring a 2080TI and 9900 CPU, I think I'm going to do TrackIR for now till DCS is better set up for VR.

Now the fun part is, should I just get the kit with head clip? I have an HGU-55 to mount it on as a dedicated VR setup and wanted to know if there were better head tracking solutions.
View Quote
RiftS works fine for lower end systems from what i hear. I used a cv1 with laptop that barely met the requirements and i got it work well enough. And when my reverb died i had the choice of original rift in all of its low res glory vs a big ass monitor and track ir i chose the rift after about 10 minutes on the flat screen.
Link Posted: 1/10/2020 4:36:14 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By lancecriminal86:

View Quote
I run my Reverb with a 5820k and 1080ti.   It's fine as long as you don't go crazy with graphics options, but I'm not a graphic snob so aliasing and shadow detail doesn't matter to me.  TrackIR is gay as fuck, even compared to the OG Rift that I had.
Link Posted: 1/10/2020 4:57:26 PM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By CropDusterC6:

I run my Reverb with a 5820k and 1080ti.   It's fine as long as you don't go crazy with graphics options, but I'm not a graphic snob so aliasing and shadow detail doesn't matter to me.  TrackIR is gay as fuck, even compared to the OG Rift that I had.
View Quote
And hopefully once ED gets vulkan working DCS should perform decently in VR. I have 0 issues frame wise with IL2 and elite dangerous.
Link Posted: 1/10/2020 7:20:35 PM EDT
[#27]
I run an Odyssey Plus at high and ultra settings with a Ryzen 7 3700X and and a lowly 2060 SC. Unless the Bios is over clocking for me it’s running standard and fast.
Link Posted: 1/11/2020 2:39:34 AM EDT
[#28]
What do you guys do for single player?  Any sources for good missions/campaigns or are you making your own?  The random mission generator appears to be a bit shit.
Link Posted: 1/11/2020 4:49:33 AM EDT
[#29]
What do you guys do for single player?  Any sources for good missions/campaigns or are you making your own?  The random mission generator appears to be a bit shit.
View Quote
if you go into the "user files" part of the main DCS website you can download missions others have created.  its kinda nice since its not a mission you created an know what should happen.
Link Posted: 1/11/2020 9:59:33 AM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By clayvt:

if you go into the "user files" part of the main DCS website you can download missions others have created.  its kinda nice since its not a mission you created an know what should happen.
View Quote
In the user files do a search for user “Sedlo”. He’s made some excellent campaigns and single missions.
Link Posted: 1/11/2020 12:13:10 PM EDT
[#31]
Yeah, the various user made campaigns and missions are the best source, as are some of the various payware campaigns, though make sure you read through them. For example the L39 kursant campaign is actually terrible, you have to fly the first mission like a dozen times and if any one of a dozen variables is a little off, you refly it. Its pedantic, and you basically have to ask online WTF you are actually supposed to do. OTOH the Viggen red flag campaign is awesome as an example.
Link Posted: 1/12/2020 8:14:30 PM EDT
[#32]
Supercarrier preorder is Friday(the 17th).
Link Posted: 1/12/2020 9:06:06 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Shung] [#33]
Originally Posted By StealthGuy:
Supercarrier preorder is Friday(the 17th).
View Quote
Cant wait to try this one ! release date by any chance ?

edit : found

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/newsletters/newsletter10012020-nre707qr8er2uuith0j6he84jyjdmz1z.html
Link Posted: 1/12/2020 11:51:22 PM EDT
[#34]
Is anyone using reshade? I just saw a video with a guy using it and it looks like a really handy tool to improve the graphics. Only supports monitors and not VR as far as I can tell.
Link Posted: 1/12/2020 11:53:15 PM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By Bushamster21:
Is anyone using reshade? I just saw a video with a guy using it and it looks like a really handy tool to improve the graphics. Only supports monitors and not VR as far as I can tell.
View Quote
Correct. A lot of BMS players use it. Doesn't work in DCS VR, nothing works in DCS VR at this point. But Vulkan is coming in 2 weeks (tM).
Link Posted: 1/12/2020 11:57:58 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Harlikwin] [#36]

Cant wait to try this one ! release date by any chance ?

edit : found

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/newsletters/newsletter10012020-nre707qr8er2uuith0j6he84jyjdmz1z.html
View Quote
End of Q1, so my guess is early march.

Its contentious, they basically fucked hornet owners in the ass (again). For 2 years hornet guys were supposed to get some sweet deal on it on it. Now its anyone has the same deal if EA. Hornet owners only get some discount (lesser) after the pre-order. So you either suck on 9L's Canadian sized wang and buy it and hope its good, OR you wait, pay 3 dollars more if it eats a bag of rotten neo-sov Chiz cocks and probably don't bother anyway since it will suck (or maybe it will be glorious and worth getting on your knees for).

At a guess F14 owners will get the Forrestal earlier, and for free. And it won't suck a bag of rotten dicks either, cuz HB isn't ED.
Link Posted: 1/13/2020 1:32:07 AM EDT
[#37]

End of Q1, so my guess is early march.

Its contentious, they basically fucked hornet owners in the ass (again). For 2 years hornet guys were supposed to get some sweet deal on it on it. Now its anyone has the same deal if EA. Hornet owners only get some discount (lesser) after the pre-order. So you either suck on 9L's Canadian sized wang and buy it and hope its good, OR you wait, pay 3 dollars more if it eats a bag of rotten neo-sov Chiz cocks and probably don't bother anyway since it will suck (or maybe it will be glorious and worth getting on your knees for).

At a guess F14 owners will get the Forrestal earlier, and for free. And it won't suck a bag of rotten dicks either, cuz HB isn't ED.
View Quote
I am very much "wait and see" on the carrier now.  The way the Hornet's been handled as a whole has been disappointing.

I am looking forward to seeing at night in 2.5.6, though.
Link Posted: 1/13/2020 9:44:12 AM EDT
[#38]
The real killer will be how it actually integrates in multiplayer with folks that don’t own the module.  ED’w comments so far have been bipolar so we’ll see how it actually works when it’s delivered.
Link Posted: 1/13/2020 10:21:19 AM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By SmilingBandit:
The real killer will be how it actually integrates in multiplayer with folks that don’t own the module.  ED’w comments so far have been bipolar so we’ll see how it actually works when it’s delivered.
View Quote
Yes. I don’t see how they will handle that ? Maybe those who didn’t by it will just see an empty deck ?
Link Posted: 1/13/2020 3:56:27 PM EDT
[#40]
Man I hope the supercarrier doesn’t suck. I’ve dreamed of a flight sim where I could do F-14 carrier ops with an actual deck crew and other aircraft since the days of Jane’s sims and Flanker 2.0 when I was a kid.

I’m also looking forward to the new clouds. I’ve only started playing DCS in the last couple of months but the clouds don’t seem that different from the ones back when I used to play LOMAC.
Link Posted: 1/13/2020 4:04:09 PM EDT
[#41]
They probably are the same cloud engine.  The killer is that they aren’t synced in multiplayer so one person can have a cloud blocking visibility while the guy they are fighting has a clear view.
Link Posted: 1/14/2020 10:21:26 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 1/14/2020 10:29:05 PM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By SmilingBandit:
View Quote
All aboard the failboat! I bet it just crashes the server or something equally awsome when some NCC tries to land on it.
Link Posted: 1/14/2020 10:29:43 PM EDT
[#44]

Yes. I don’t see how they will handle that ? Maybe those who didn’t by it will just see an empty deck ?
View Quote
Supposedly they will just pass through it.
Link Posted: 1/14/2020 10:30:42 PM EDT
[#45]
Man I hope the supercarrier doesn’t suck. I’ve dreamed of a flight sim where I could do F-14 carrier ops with an actual deck crew and other aircraft since the days of Jane’s sims and Flanker 2.0 when I was a kid.

I’m also looking forward to the new clouds. I’ve only started playing DCS in the last couple of months but the clouds don’t seem that different from the ones back when I used to play LOMAC.
View Quote
New clouds same as old clouds. They just spin in VR when you look at en.
Link Posted: 1/15/2020 5:55:34 AM EDT
[#46]

Supposedly they will just pass through it.
View Quote
The whole ship ? That’s retarded
Link Posted: 1/15/2020 12:26:11 PM EDT
[#47]

The whole ship ? That’s retarded
View Quote
That was the last thing i heard about it. People without the module can see it bit can't interact with it.
Link Posted: 1/17/2020 2:27:08 PM EDT
[#48]
$25 for supercarrier if you own the Hornet.
Link Posted: 1/17/2020 3:11:04 PM EDT
[#49]
$25 for supercarrier if you own the Hornet.
View Quote
Hopefully that will keep the whiners quiet. Its not on steam yet tho.
Link Posted: 1/17/2020 7:30:13 PM EDT
[#50]
Just got a Koolertron keyboard to use as my UCP, no idea how to set it up yet, but I'll figure it out.

simple UCP
Page / 79
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top