User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 79
Posted: 12/15/2018 7:07:44 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Keekleberrys]
Link Posted: 12/28/2019 12:39:13 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Alaskanforfreedom] [#1]
For anyone that isn't aware. ED is sampling out the F14 for the weekend starting today. This is for Steam and plain jane DCS. I am downloading it now.

Also for all of the people wondering what's next here is a link to a site of planned modules from multiple developers. https://dr.squirrelboy12.com/DCSDevelopers/
Link Posted: 12/28/2019 12:47:58 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Alaskanforfreedom:
For anyone that isn't aware. ED is sampling out the F14 for the weekend starting today. This is for Steam and plain jane DCS. I am downloading it now.

Also for all of the people wondering what's next here is a link to a site of planned modules from multiple developers. https://dr.squirrelboy12.com/DCSDevelopers/
View Quote
I’m tempted to try it. My only (stupid) hold-up is that I don’t feel like mapping controls for just two days of play.
Link Posted: 12/28/2019 2:48:13 AM EDT
[#3]
I ordered the Samsung Odyssey Plus and Warthog Hotas before Christmas but wasn't able to enjoy them until today.  Holy shit!  Those of you not running VR have no idea what you're missing!  Even with my crappy RX570 GPU I was blown away at the VR experience.  I ordered an RX 5700XT to take the graphics to the next level, but to be honest and like I said, I was quite surprised at the quality the RX570 gave me.

I can't imagine playing DCS using monitors now.  VR is that good.
Link Posted: 12/28/2019 1:19:48 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By SmilingBandit:

You have to be okay with early access.  It sounds easy, but for a lot of people it's not and they bitch about it quite loudly.

The F-16 is pretty well off in many respects for its stage in EA, having a lot of systems similar to the Hornet, but it still has a lot to go.  Some planes live in early access forever, I'm looking at you Mig-21 with 5 years in EA, and that's another story.

Frankly, it's not terrible since you get to learn systems as they get added rather than trying to drink from the fire hose all at once.
View Quote
You get to learn systems that are half baked, don't function like they are supposed to, bugged to hell, and then get to chase down if it's the devs fault, key binding problems, or your own user error.
Link Posted: 12/28/2019 1:22:20 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By CropDusterC6:
You get to learn systems that are half baked, don't function like they are supposed to, bugged to hell, and then get to chase down if it's the devs fault, key binding problems, or your own user error.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

You have to be okay with early access.  It sounds easy, but for a lot of people it's not and they bitch about it quite loudly.

The F-16 is pretty well off in many respects for its stage in EA, having a lot of systems similar to the Hornet, but it still has a lot to go.  Some planes live in early access forever, I'm looking at you Mig-21 with 5 years in EA, and that's another story.

Frankly, it's not terrible since you get to learn systems as they get added rather than trying to drink from the fire hose all at once.
Sometimes.  If that’s not something you want then only buy released modules on the stable branch.
Link Posted: 12/28/2019 2:01:18 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By GilenusX207:

I'm tempted to try it. My only (stupid) hold-up is that I don't feel like mapping controls for just two days of play.
View Quote
Yeah I agree it's a bit of a pain in the nuts. After flying the Hornet, and the Falcon, this thing feels like like a turn dial phone. I just wanted to try some of the Phoenix missiles. Also I've been debating on buying it so I guess it was convenient for me.
Link Posted: 12/28/2019 2:06:42 PM EDT
[#7]
What servers is everyone flying on these days?
Link Posted: 12/28/2019 2:09:31 PM EDT
[#8]
Yeah I agree it's a bit of a pain in the nuts. After flying the Hornet, and the Falcon, this thing feels like like a turn dial phone. I just wanted to try some of the Phoenix missiles. Also I've been debating on buying it so I guess it was convenient for me.
View Quote
I think I’ve flown my Tomcat twice.  I normally fly RIO while my buddy drives.  That back seat is a unique challenge.
Link Posted: 12/28/2019 4:41:04 PM EDT
[#9]

I think I've flown my Tomcat twice.  I normally fly RIO while my buddy drives.  That back seat is a unique challenge.
View Quote
I'm all over the place with my flying but it is fun as hell shooting at SU27s with a TWS lock and getting hits from 50 miles. What's impressive is not only can the thing get up and move but the damn thing can turn. I'm still deciding if I can deal with the lack of FBW controls.
Link Posted: 12/28/2019 7:27:55 PM EDT
[Last Edit: CavScout] [#10]

View Quote
HAHA I was wondering why I suddenly had the F-14 pop up to install yesterday. Flying this is really old school, not sure what to make of it yet but the RSO RIO comments I get from my actions are funny.
Link Posted: 12/28/2019 7:30:57 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By CavScout:

HAHA I was wondering why I suddenly had the F-14 pop up to install yesterday. Flying this is really old school, not sure what to make of it yet but the RSO comments I get from my actions are funny.
View Quote
Did you mean RIO? I appreciate the nod to Top Gun with jesters "Do some of that pilot shit." Line.
Link Posted: 12/28/2019 7:32:07 PM EDT
[#12]
Did you mean RIO? I appreciate the nod to Top Gun with jesters "Do some of that pilot shit." Line.
View Quote
Fixed it lol. RIO.
Link Posted: 12/28/2019 8:03:30 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By freerider04:
View Quote
I fly the F-5 on Cold War 1947-1991 pretty much exclusively lately.  It's a really solid set of missions, and really fun getting back to basics with dumb bombs and rear-aspect heaters.
Link Posted: 12/28/2019 11:51:53 PM EDT
[#14]

I was just reading the change notes from the patch on the 23rd and it seemed like a decent laundry list but I was not sure.
View Quote
If you are on stable, switch to open beta. 90% of good online servers are on beta, and its updated quite often. Once in a great while they introduce new bugs or break shit in OB but usually it gets sorted out pretty quick unless its the holdiays, or a 3rd party module, or razbam (in which case its 6 months to fix bugs).
Link Posted: 12/28/2019 11:53:02 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By Seth_Livzz:
I ordered the Samsung Odyssey Plus and Warthog Hotas before Christmas but wasn't able to enjoy them until today.  Holy shit!  Those of you not running VR have no idea what you're missing!  Even with my crappy RX570 GPU I was blown away at the VR experience.  I ordered an RX 5700XT to take the graphics to the next level, but to be honest and like I said, I was quite surprised at the quality the RX570 gave me.

I can't imagine playing DCS using monitors now.  VR is that good.
View Quote
Yes... Reverb, 2080ti master race checking in... I started on a rift and a 980m though and it was still worth it.
Link Posted: 12/28/2019 11:53:57 PM EDT
[#16]
View Quote
Depends, DDCS, blue flag, growling sidewinder for PVP, GAW and Frat sim for PVE.
Link Posted: 12/28/2019 11:54:41 PM EDT
[#17]

I fly the F-5 on Cold War 1947-1991 pretty much exclusively lately.  It's a really solid set of missions, and really fun getting back to basics with dumb bombs and rear-aspect heaters.
View Quote
Yeah, its a good server, but almost never anyone on when I am.
Link Posted: 12/29/2019 12:04:57 AM EDT
[Last Edit: freerider04] [#18]
Originally Posted By Harlikwin:

Depends, DDCS, blue flag, growling sidewinder for PVP, GAW and Frat sim for PVE.
View Quote
I've been on frat sim a little bit in the past few weeks or so.  It would be a blast if more people used SRS.

I feel like I've probably flown with someone here recently.  I'm capguns, feel free to hit me up if you see me.  I suck at flying but I'll charge in fearlessly and be bait if needed
Link Posted: 12/29/2019 1:36:45 AM EDT
[#19]

View Quote
That’s my favorites list.
Link Posted: 12/29/2019 11:19:21 AM EDT
[#20]

I've been on frat sim a little bit in the past few weeks or so.  It would be a blast if more people used SRS.

I feel like I've probably flown with someone here recently.  I'm capguns, feel free to hit me up if you see me.  I suck at flying but I'll charge in fearlessly and be bait if needed
View Quote
I was on there the other night smacking SAMs around Krasnodar while you were flying CAP.  CptBligh.  I was surprised by the lack of SRS, since how much coordination was going on in chat.  Non english speakers I guess?
Link Posted: 12/29/2019 5:07:49 PM EDT
[#21]

I was on there the other night smacking SAMs around Krasnodar while you were flying CAP.  CptBligh.  I was surprised by the lack of SRS, since how much coordination was going on in chat.  Non english speakers I guess?
View Quote
Did you witness my glorious death when I just charged solo into a group of fighters? I got 4.  Turns out there were 5
Link Posted: 12/30/2019 10:22:30 PM EDT
[#22]
Just how sexy is the JF-17 as an AA or AG platform? Is it worth the dip?
Link Posted: 12/30/2019 11:22:42 PM EDT
[#23]
Now that I have a few months of free time I'm looking at finally getting a handle on this game.

All I own is the original Flaming Cliffs pack and I haven't played it in years.  Barely learned out to drop bombs with the A-10 before I parted ways with the game.

Looking at grabbing a multi-role platform but more interested in ground attack than anything.  Was thinking about grabbing the F-18 but open to suggestions as I know the quality of aircraft varies a fair bit in DCS(and have no idea what's good and what isn't).

Also whatever I get I'm open to links for some youtube tutorials on how to start the thing(among other necessary tasks).

And is there currently a true dynamic campaign available?  Not a big fan of linear mission 1-x campaigns.

I know for a while there was some big multiplayer operation going on that lightly mimicked a multiplayer dynamic campaign but I can't recall what it was called or details on it.  Some manner of open world multiplayer chaos would be my thing more than pre-scripted missions.
Link Posted: 12/31/2019 12:07:40 AM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By Towely:
Now that I have a few months of free time I'm looking at finally getting a handle on this game.

All I own is the original Flaming Cliffs pack and I haven't played it in years.  Barely learned out to drop bombs with the A-10 before I parted ways with the game.

Looking at grabbing a multi-role platform but more interested in ground attack than anything.  Was thinking about grabbing the F-18 but open to suggestions as I know the quality of aircraft varies a fair bit in DCS(and have no idea what's good and what isn't).

Also whatever I get I'm open to links for some youtube tutorials on how to start the thing(among other necessary tasks).

And is there currently a true dynamic campaign available?  Not a big fan of linear mission 1-x campaigns.

I know for a while there was some big multiplayer operation going on that lightly mimicked a multiplayer dynamic campaign but I can't recall what it was called or details on it.  Some manner of open world multiplayer chaos would be my thing more than pre-scripted missions.
View Quote
Hey Towely I just got back into DCS after a multi-year break and I also used to fly Flaming Cliffs but now I am on the F-18C and I would recommend it more than the A-10C just because the training between the two aircraft was much better in the F-18. The A-10C narrator was awful and his training sessions poorly constructed.
Link Posted: 12/31/2019 12:40:27 PM EDT
[#25]
Just how sexy is the JF-17 as an AA or AG platform? Is it worth the dip?
View Quote
Currently my favorite ride. AG its basically done, and has some unique MITL weapons, working A/G radar (good for sea attack) plus SFP CBU glide bombs. Otherwise fairly standard.
A/A its good too, the SD-10 is a decent missile, though it looks like the Bluewhiner mafia is forcing a re-eval of the missile so it will likely be nerfed.

The main downside to the JF17 is capacity and range. You just can't carry a ton of ordnance, either A/A or A/G and a mix of it really limits you. The SFP CBU's help but you can carry 2.

Other current issues are the RWR is fucked online to varying degrees, but that will get fixed next patch, whenever that is.
Link Posted: 12/31/2019 12:41:56 PM EDT
[#26]

View Quote
No Dynamic campagins really. There are few "sorta dynamic" campaigns floating around but its all scripted.

Online is the best chance you have for something dynamic.
Link Posted: 12/31/2019 12:42:48 PM EDT
[#27]

Hey Towely I just got back into DCS after a multi-year break and I also used to fly Flaming Cliffs but now I am on the F-18C and I would recommend it more than the A-10C just because the training between the two aircraft was much better in the F-18. The A-10C narrator was awful and his training sessions poorly constructed.
View Quote
Yeah, don't use the built in training for the A10. Just get the chucks guide and watch some youtube vids. Several other older modules have the same issues.
Link Posted: 12/31/2019 2:41:06 PM EDT
[#28]
Yeah, don't use the built in training for the A10. Just get the chucks guide and watch some youtube vids. Several other older modules have the same issues.
View All Quotes

My buddy and I just hopped on a private server last night since we hadn't flown anything (in DCS) in over a month.  I figured that's what everyone did was watch a RedKite, Waggs, or worst case GR video then go Leroy Jenkens somewhere safe until you know what you are doing.  
Link Posted: 12/31/2019 3:11:35 PM EDT
[#29]

My buddy and I just hopped on a private server last night since we hadn't flown anything (in DCS) in over a month.  I figured that's what everyone did was watch a RedKite, Waggs, or worst case GR video then go Leroy Jenkens somewhere safe until you know what you are doing.  
View Quote
Lots of Leroy online tho…
Link Posted: 12/31/2019 3:41:03 PM EDT
[#30]
View All Quotes

Fact.  Just do it ground pounding.  Yeeting fox 3s is a way to not make friends.  
Link Posted: 12/31/2019 4:10:30 PM EDT
[#31]
Finally got my system all updated and settings adjusted with the new video card only to find out I'm unable to join my buddy's sessions he's trying to host.  Neither of us are interested in playing on a public server and he went so far as to create custom missions for both of us to tard around with.

Apparently its a port issue that he's unable to open on his Apple router for whatever reason, and after countless hours of researching.  How frustrating.

Also, I bought the UH-1 Huey module.  It's crazy fun to fly and enjoy the scenery with!
Link Posted: 12/31/2019 5:40:05 PM EDT
[#32]
Are you sure that the port isn't forwarding?

Because there's a couple of "gotchas" on the multiplayer hosting/joining.
Link Posted: 12/31/2019 5:56:38 PM EDT
[#33]

Fact.  Just do it ground pounding.  Yeeting fox 3s is a way to not make friends.  
View Quote
This describes my knowledge of AA tactics.
Link Posted: 12/31/2019 6:07:55 PM EDT
[#34]

This describes my knowledge of AA tactics.
View Quote
You mean I shouldn't launch with a Doomsday load out of Phoenix's to saturate an area 60mn away , trap then do it again?
Link Posted: 12/31/2019 6:35:39 PM EDT
[#35]
View All Quotes

How good are the Flaming Cliffs models(especially the A-10A) compared to some of the newer stuff?

Money is a big issue right now as I'm going back to school for a semester so only the wife is working.  Not that I couldn't pop for a new airframe or two, I'd just hate to dump a ton of hours learning aircraft that I'll never fly again if they are severely outdated.
Link Posted: 12/31/2019 6:54:56 PM EDT
[#36]
Biggest thing is that they aren’t clickable cockpits and the mfd menu depth is pretty much non-existent.

But the radars are pretty good and some of the Russian stuff has IRST.

Long story short they aren’t bad and are priced at a good point.  The A-10C is a good deal when it’s on sale.
Link Posted: 12/31/2019 7:02:06 PM EDT
[#37]
Biggest thing is that they aren’t clickable cockpits and the mfd menu depth is pretty much non-existent.

But the radars are pretty good and some of the Russian stuff has IRST.

Long story short they aren’t bad and are priced at a good point.  The A-10C is a good deal when it’s on sale.
View Quote
Forgot the LOMAC/FC rides didn't have clickable cockpits.  Pretty big issue for me as I'm running a Logitech 3d Pro and don't want to have to memorize a billion keybindings.  Maybe I'll just ask my wife for a bigger allowance this week, bite the bullet, and grab the A-10C and F-18 while the sale is on.
Link Posted: 12/31/2019 7:04:16 PM EDT
[#38]
Finally got my system all updated and settings adjusted with the new video card only to find out I'm unable to join my buddy's sessions he's trying to host.  Neither of us are interested in playing on a public server and he went so far as to create custom missions for both of us to tard around with.

Apparently its a port issue that he's unable to open on his Apple router for whatever reason, and after countless hours of researching.  How frustrating.

Also, I bought the UH-1 Huey module.  It's crazy fun to fly and enjoy the scenery with!
View Quote
I just bought the UH-1 too. I had a family friend who was a UH-1 pilot when I was in ROTC and I am going to go through the startup process and see how much I remember. Can’t wait to try it tonight.
Link Posted: 12/31/2019 7:06:18 PM EDT
[#39]
How good are the Flaming Cliffs models(especially the A-10A) compared to some of the newer stuff?

Money is a big issue right now as I'm going back to school for a semester so only the wife is working.  Not that I couldn't pop for a new airframe or two, I'd just hate to dump a ton of hours learning aircraft that I'll never fly again if they are severely outdated.
View All Quotes

The FC3 models feel dated to me (which they are now I suppose) and the new A-10C feels good to fly and looks fantastic in the cockpit. It is on sale 50% off until the 5th.
Link Posted: 12/31/2019 7:12:13 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Towely] [#40]
The FC3 models feel dated to me (which they are now I suppose) and the new A-10C feels good to fly and looks fantastic in the cockpit. It is on sale 50% off until the 5th.
View All Quotes

Installing FC3 now just to make sure everything runs on my new(er) computer.

My short list is the A-10C, F-18, UH-1, and something from the Vietnam or WW2 era that would be easier to jump in and hit the ground running.

Off to see if there's any way to get some of the content I purchased years ago back.  I know I had the Black Shark and I'm pretty sure I had the P-51 prior to the Steam era.

edit: or, before I proceed, is it better to run this through steam or standalone?

edit2: shit, it was the original Black Shark, not the upgraded Black Shark 2.
Link Posted: 12/31/2019 7:38:14 PM EDT
[#41]
I run steam. It simple and it works. Basically idiot proof. Plus steam has a ton more bandwith for pushing out updates.
Link Posted: 12/31/2019 7:40:21 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Harlikwin] [#42]
Originally Posted By RichieRich3902:

You mean I shouldn't launch with a Doomsday load out of Phoenix's to saturate an area 60mn away , trap then do it again?
View Quote
I believe its called "sixshooter" for that very reason. Though the poor fucker (total noob) that blundered into my mid range phoenix engagement on BF did die. I tried to warn him but he wasnt on srs. I got 2 enemy and 1 friendly kills though, so my stats did improve.
Link Posted: 12/31/2019 9:05:28 PM EDT
[#43]

Installing FC3 now just to make sure everything runs on my new(er) computer.

My short list is the A-10C, F-18, UH-1, and something from the Vietnam or WW2 era that would be easier to jump in and hit the ground running.

Off to see if there's any way to get some of the content I purchased years ago back.  I know I had the Black Shark and I'm pretty sure I had the P-51 prior to the Steam era.

edit: or, before I proceed, is it better to run this through steam or standalone?

edit2: shit, it was the original Black Shark, not the upgraded Black Shark 2.
View Quote
The A-10 pairs better with the F-16 IMO, since they have similar avionics/HOTAS.  It's a mind fuck for me still switching back and forth between those 2 and the Hornet.
Link Posted: 12/31/2019 9:08:21 PM EDT
[#44]

I believe its called "sixshooter" for that very reason. Though the poor fucker (total noob) that blundered into my mid range phoenix engagement on BF did die. I tried to warn him but he wasnt on srs. I got 2 enemy and 1 friendly kills though, so my stats did improve.
View Quote
Using 120s or 54s when someone is in your front quarter is asking for a TK.  You pull the trigger you own it.  
Link Posted: 12/31/2019 9:52:13 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Harlikwin] [#45]

Using 120s or 54s when someone is in your front quarter is asking for a TK.  You pull the trigger you own it.  
View Quote
Well it was a bit more complicated than that. Two ship f16s were bearing down on strikers (running to cover) and i was coming in about 30 degrees off that track. Blunder wonder in the f18 hoved into view almost mirror opposite of my geometry not running iff, DL or comms. They were total long bomb shots mainly to push the vipers defensive, i was shocked to see they hit, not to mention the f18 that was even further away. I checked the log/tv after to see what happened. Someone called him friendly after i shot. On the plus side the strikers made it.
Link Posted: 1/1/2020 1:07:22 AM EDT
[#46]

Currently my favorite ride. AG its basically done, and has some unique MITL weapons, working A/G radar (good for sea attack) plus SFP CBU glide bombs. Otherwise fairly standard.
A/A its good too, the SD-10 is a decent missile, though it looks like the Bluewhiner mafia is forcing a re-eval of the missile so it will likely be nerfed.

The main downside to the JF17 is capacity and range. You just can't carry a ton of ordnance, either A/A or A/G and a mix of it really limits you. The SFP CBU's help but you can carry 2.

Other current issues are the RWR is fucked online to varying degrees, but that will get fixed next patch, whenever that is.
View Quote
As a Blufor guy I am totally okay with the SD10 range and am thankful that they upgraded my 120Cs to be 20 mile missiles. I have to retrain myself because I didn't consider it anything but a 15 mile missile in best conditions but I am very happy for my more realistic range extension. Is it realistic that the SD-10 is capable of being drug through 25,000 ft of altitude while I pivot at a 45 degree angle and still have the energy to intercept? Idk.
Link Posted: 1/1/2020 2:27:50 AM EDT
[#47]
I have no problem with SD10 actually being close to it’s reported real-world performance. Everyone knows that most DCS missiles are in desperate need of range and tracking logic overhauls; that shouldn’t hold back new products because of muh balance.
Link Posted: 1/1/2020 4:04:47 AM EDT
[#48]
Are you sure that the port isn't forwarding?

Because there's a couple of "gotchas" on the multiplayer hosting/joining.
View Quote
TBH, not sure.  It seems, after exhaustive searching, port forwarding is usually the culprit.  If it's not port forwarding then I have no idea what else it could be.  He completely shut off his firewall and Windows defender and still no dice.
Link Posted: 1/1/2020 10:39:58 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Harlikwin] [#49]
I have no problem with SD10 actually being close to it’s reported real-world performance. Everyone knows that most DCS missiles are in desperate need of range and tracking logic overhauls; that shouldn’t hold back new products because of muh balance.
View Quote
Yup. Mostly this.

The one thing folks dont consider is the sd10 doesnt use smokeless propellant while the 120s do. Typically those propellants are more energetic by 10-20%. So all other factors being equal(ish) it should be longer ranged. Then again other factors likely arent so who knows. The sd10 is 70lbs heavier which if thats mostly proplleant is definately significant. Dimensionally its 30mm or so wider than the aamraam, so a tiny bit draggier, and its longer. However its fins look to be less draggy and posibly capable of producing more lift.

The other thing people need to remember though is the fact you can see the sd10 being launched so you know its coming even in tws, aamraam not so much. Tactically speaking thats a major advantage.

Of course how any of this is actually modelled or "dumbed down" in DCS is a whole other topic.
Link Posted: 1/1/2020 10:52:54 AM EDT
[#50]

TBH, not sure.  It seems, after exhaustive searching, port forwarding is usually the culprit.  If it's not port forwarding then I have no idea what else it could be.  He completely shut off his firewall and Windows defender and still no dice.
View Quote
Two things to check:
- make sure you are both running the same version
- have the”public server” box checked and add a password to the server
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 79
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top