Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/6/2017 10:10:52 PM EDT
It's always nice to find people in the online communities I'm a part of who game in VR. Are there any Vive owners in here?
Link Posted: 10/11/2017 10:50:41 PM EDT
[#1]
Tempted.

If there is another price drop to compete with the new Rift drop I might....

Saving for 2 Voltas when they hit though.

Tough call.

Running 3 screens now, (decently but need more horsepower hehe), but have enough from a Bday gift to make it happen.

Mostly play SC, Doom, Skyrim with a ton of mods, BDO, WOT, and now Divinity 2 hehe.
Link Posted: 10/12/2017 9:42:52 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Tempted.

If there is another price drop to compete with the new Rift drop I might....

Saving for 2 Voltas when they hit though.

Tough call.

Running 3 screens now, (decently but need more horsepower hehe), but have enough from a Bday gift to make it happen.

Mostly play SC, Doom, Skyrim with a ton of mods, BDO, WOT, and now Divinity 2 hehe.
View Quote
Well, DOOM VFR is coming out along with Fallout 4 VR in December, and you get FO4VR for free with a new Vive purchase right now.

Depending on what GPU you're using, you may need to throw cash at that though, something else to consider.
Link Posted: 10/13/2017 1:48:40 PM EDT
[#3]
I'm hoping they drop the price to be more competitive with the Oculus pricing. Can get the Oculus and their touch system for $400 right now. I would jump on the Vive at that price for sure.

Have played with both numerous times at PAX conventions.

Quoted:

Depending on what GPU you're using, you may need to throw cash at that though, something else to consider.
View Quote
The good news is that the VR headsets resolution is locked (I think at 1200) so they aren't incredibly taxing. You could get by just fine with a GTX 1070 which can be found under $400 pretty easily. And with the 1070 ti coming out this month it will be interesting to see where the prices go after that.
Link Posted: 10/14/2017 5:08:39 PM EDT
[#4]
Running 2 heavily oced 980tis (got them used super cheap hehe) pumping 3 Asus Rog Swifts 2560x1440 x3.

Should handle a headset far easier than that.

Question is, is it worth knocking me down one of the two voltas when they hit hehe.

I'll figure that out by Black Friday ;p

Other consideration is how my fubar neck will handle the weight.  (6 mo out from ACDF surgery and scoliosis that extends right to my skull and a bad reaction to CIPRO 2 weeks ago that roasted my tendons body wide WEEeeee! lol)

Looks like there is an MS store local though I can try it on at.
Link Posted: 10/19/2017 5:11:12 PM EDT
[#5]
So I made it to the MS store after calling ahead.

While they said they had a VIVE to demo they did not sadly.  (There was one on a dummy skull but they wouldn't even let me put it on to feel the weight grrr)

Tried their Oculous demo...think I am hooked.

Screen door I did NOT like, however once I got into some stuff where I could move I forgot it was there.  

I KNEW what I was seeing was fake but my hind brain told me I was going to die looking over the edges of a cityscape....lol.

Now do that in Skyrim, Doom, Doom BFG, FOV4.....ED, SC, Alien: Isolation etc etc etc.

Waiting for Black Friday then will pull the trigger to test and decide which to settle on.  

Of note looks like VorpX will let you inject 3d geometry and full tracking including presence / leaning etc in ALOT of existing games.  That looks to be a MUST buy as well.

Tracking gloves(later), wireless (later), prescription lenses inside the Vive (available NOW), tons of add-ons for the Vive.  Pretty sure I will get that one.
Link Posted: 10/19/2017 5:25:32 PM EDT
[#6]
I am waiting for the right games.

Fallout VR might be the kind of game that it would get me really tempted.

I have a 25x35 garage that with the cars moved out could give you a very large 20x25 walking space.   I built it with this kind of stuff in mind.  I have a cat6 LAN connection to my router in the house along with 7.2 in wall surround sound setup.

I have already figured I could do a double track setup on the ceiling to drop cables from overhead to prevent tripping or getting wrapped up.

Not sure if they sell cable extensions that would allow for it.

Have used the PSVR out there and it is a hoot with friends but not enough freedom of movement.   Sadly I still havent found enough fun games to play to make it worth going out to use the VR setup.  

Link Posted: 10/19/2017 10:03:27 PM EDT
[#7]
Update:

Got a TrackIR in tonight.

Fiddled with it and tried it in a couple games.  With my messed up neck / back I couldn't get it to level me out for squat and I move around ALOT lol.

Returning that tomorrow.

Was worth a shot.

Also where my front speaker is mounted to my 3 monitor setup (above the middle with the Obutto mounts) that is right where the trackir wants to sit.  Off to the side wasn't helping.  

VR headsets wont have that problem sitting and standing is a non issue.  

Come on Black Friday!
Link Posted: 10/21/2017 7:26:52 PM EDT
[#8]
Got in my TPCast wireless adapter for the Vive and it's frickin awesome. After changing the WiFi channel I don't notice any latency whatsoever. I've

Link Posted: 10/24/2017 1:15:22 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Got in my TPCast wireless adapter for the Vive and it's frickin awesome. After changing the WiFi channel I don't notice any latency whatsoever. I've

https://i.imgur.com/6SUNeu5.jpg
View Quote
Ho Ho! THAT is available now?  VERY interesting.

How much weight did it add? I was able to tolerate the Oculous without issue,  based on that guessing I can tolerate the slightly heavier VIVE if I get the better head strap.  

Wireless with those new controllers coming out would be SICK.

Edit:  Nice selection of books btw!
Link Posted: 10/24/2017 2:33:40 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Ho Ho! THAT is available now?  VERY interesting.

How much weight did it add? I was able to tolerate the Oculous without issue,  based on that guessing I can tolerate the slightly heavier VIVE if I get the better head strap.  

Wireless with those new controllers coming out would be SICK.

Edit:  Nice selection of books btw!
View Quote
Thank you sir.

Well, it was supposed to be released in the US this past month, but it hasn't and there's no explanation forthcoming from the manufacturers, though rumor has it they have issues getting it past the FCC.

Regardless, this version is the newer Chinese version, available on eBay for the list price of $500 (though I offered $400 shipped and they took it). The NA version was supposed to be $300 plus shipping.

As for weight, it's not a huge difference and much more preferable to being tethered to the PC. I have a belt with a battery pouch on it for the power pack, and it works well.
Link Posted: 10/25/2017 2:23:15 PM EDT
[#11]
Very cool.

Definitely going to buy the VIVE (waiting for Black Friday).

Premium headstrap / headphones for sure.

Guess I will have to wait on the wireless.  That's cool as I will get some time to test wired.

My office / gaming room is ~16' / 10' with a small entry area (old bonus room I converted). The rear 8' are tied up by an in room AC and an Obutto R3volution cockpit.

Might need to remove the ceiling fan though and not sure if I will end up punching holes in the angled ceiling LOL.
Link Posted: 10/26/2017 3:38:52 PM EDT
[#12]
I'm planning on getting one... It'll probably be around Christmas though as I need a new PC, and to get an Obutto cockpit. 

Question I never really looked into... how easy is it to switch between displays? Say I'm playing Elite VR and I want to switch to Arma 3 on my regular monitor, is it as simple as using a VR/Non-VR game version? 
Link Posted: 10/26/2017 6:43:40 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I'm planning on getting one... It'll probably be around Christmas though as I need a new PC, and to get an Obutto cockpit. 

Question I never really looked into... how easy is it to switch between displays? Say I'm playing Elite VR and I want to switch to Arma 3 on my regular monitor, is it as simple as using a VR/Non-VR game version? 
View Quote
As soon as you shut down Steam VR your headset goes black and you can use your monitor. You can also choose to stay in VR and use one of the desktop applications to clone your screen in VR space and play using the headset as a sort of internal projector. It's pretty cool, but your picture quality will suffer.
Link Posted: 11/24/2017 11:56:29 PM EDT
[#14]
Well 12 midnight this morning....I pulled the trigger on the HTC Vive bundle!

Headset arrives tomorrow!

Prem strap with earphones Sunday!

Threw my neck and back out hauling the turkey in and out of the oven for basting lol.

Going to REALLY find out if I can tolerate that headset LOL.

DLing every damn game in my libraries to try with Vorpx
Link Posted: 11/25/2017 12:25:57 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 11/25/2017 1:26:52 AM EDT
[#16]
I just ordered an overclocked 1070 to begin my new build. Probably another two months before I can get it together along with a Vive

But, at least I'm on the way now!
Link Posted: 11/25/2017 2:49:25 PM EDT
[#17]
OK so she came in early and DID arrive with the prem strap at the same time!

CRAP!

I realize I need to flip this huge cockpit (Obutto R3volution 3 screen) around so I get good sensing when seated (currently facing INTO the room)

Neck and back already mess from turkey LOL.

Thought headset would push me to the limit....

Will update in a couple hours before I crawl into bed  barely able to move lol.

Maybe not who knows I'd love to try it today!
Link Posted: 11/26/2017 1:29:42 AM EDT
[#18]
Well my broken ass self had to reconfigure the whole damn room, and Obutto R3volution in the room.

After many pauses and some heating pads... and beer I managed to finish it...the reconfig of the room that is.

Tomorrow I will get the Vive all set up, installed and running.

Now Fallout VR doesn't go active for a couple weeks....

What to get in the mean time.

VorpX to enable nearly all my games for VR for sure.

Arizona Sunshine looks pretty good.

Data something looked neat.

A few of those horror games looked good too.  Something to get the blood pumping lol.

Can't wait for Skyrim get a wooden sword and shield and attach those tracking pucks to them LOL.

Vive has a mic in it.....voice attack...FUS RUH D...wth are you doing up there?!  (pretty sure neighbors would hear me lol I'm a loud fucker lol and the comp room is over the garage near the window lol)

Since I can't lift for shit anymore this will at least get me moving again LOL.

Need more beer, bed beer is best beer LOL
Link Posted: 11/26/2017 2:03:42 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Well my broken ass self had to reconfigure the whole damn room, and Obutto R3volution in the room.

After many pauses and some heating pads... and beer I managed to finish it...the reconfig of the room that is.

Tomorrow I will get the Vive all set up, installed and running.

Now Fallout VR doesn't go active for a couple weeks....

What to get in the mean time.

VorpX to enable nearly all my games for VR for sure.

Arizona Sunshine looks pretty good.

Data something looked neat.

A few of those horror games looked good too.  Something to get the blood pumping lol.

Can't wait for Skyrim get a wooden sword and shield and attach those tracking pucks to them LOL.

Vive has a mic in it.....voice attack...FUS RUH D...wth are you doing up there?!  (pretty sure neighbors would hear me lol I'm a loud fucker lol and the comp room is over the garage near the window lol)

Since I can't lift for shit anymore this will at least get me moving again LOL.

Need more beer, bed beer is best beer LOL
View Quote
Welcome to the club!

Arizona Sunshine is a must. Also Brookhaven Experiment, Raw Data, Hotdogs, Horseshoes and Hand Grenades, Audioshield, Sins of a Solar Empire, and the Minecraft Vivecraft mod.
Link Posted: 11/26/2017 2:11:37 AM EDT
[#20]
Is there a way to use a Vive (or Oculus) headset to simply play games in 3D?

I was playing 3D games with LCD shutter glasses in like 2001, but haven't since then

ETA: Speaking of Obutto, my Ozone backorder got pushed to January 31st
Link Posted: 11/26/2017 8:44:33 AM EDT
[#21]
VorpX will make alot of games VR.

Not an expert yet but I'm pretty sure, yes games will be in 3d.  Either regular like nvidia glasses or with 3d geometry if fully supported.

And the cockpit......its worth the wait!
Link Posted: 11/26/2017 10:22:02 PM EDT
[#22]
OK so I got it semi setup.

Placed the sensors where I could for the time being to test.

Play area is border line too small due to the angled ceiling and fan damn.

Workable though.

Arizona Sunshine is pretty badass.

Need to get anti aliasing bumped up if that will help.

Biggest gripe I have thus far is the light smears.  Super present even dead center and even when not dark.  When its dark they are all over the place.

Wondering if there is something on the lens?

Going to get some cleaning alcohol and try that (following their instructions)

The cloth that came with it didn't have any effect.  (veeeery gently cleaned it NO pressure)

Have tripods coming in for the sensors.

Once they are in will try Vorpx.

Also got Alien Isolation working but seated made me want to vomit lol.

Doom 3 BFG I screwed something up and ended up 3rd person and the poor doom guys arms snapped in half and he ran screaming into a wall LOL (room scale should work in that with the mod)
Link Posted: 11/27/2017 12:24:18 PM EDT
[#23]
Got Doom 3 BFG working in VR sound isnt piped to headset properly and it is a bit buggy BUT....it IS full roomscale VR with both regular movement and teleport.

Pretty damn cool.

Still trying to figure out how to get it to work with Elite Dangerous....Get it connected but cannot see my mouse at all to control anything.

Tripods for the lighthouse sensors should be in tomorrow woot.

Then I can really test it properly.
Link Posted: 11/30/2017 10:26:12 AM EDT
[#24]
OK so still waiting on my Tripod towers.

Have them sitting on chairs for now which is "good enough" but not perfect.

Damn neck and back are taking a pounding lol.

At least I have the month to decide.

Doom BFG though a bit awkward is pretty cool.

Dec 12 will be the real test.  Fallout 4 hits.

DOOM VFR hits Friday but I think I will wait for a sale.  Pretty spent atm lol.

Biggest downside so far is the lens quality, its just not there.  I can live with the circles but those streaks of light / blur yikes.
Link Posted: 11/30/2017 4:46:49 PM EDT
[#25]
Hnnnng couldn't resist trying it this morning with some of the Viveport free subscriptions games.

Pretty cool, neck / head / headache from the weight on my head is kiiiiiling me lol.  (maybe good in the long run? Strengthen me up post surgery lol)

Got the notification the towers have arrived!

Time to try out ED and War Thunder in VR tonight along with some Alien Isolation!
Link Posted: 12/1/2017 2:22:04 PM EDT
[#26]
OK FOV tripods are up and man they are worth every penny.

Tracking is now perfect.

Able to trace my space large enough to swing my arms around now (but not overhead)

Lenses still streak light.  I can deal with the rings np.  That light streaking from all directions and even a horizontal smear in the middle is driving me insane.
Link Posted: 12/1/2017 7:16:05 PM EDT
[#27]
Yeah, I have to be careful not to hit my ceiling fan. Have you adjusted the eye distance to see if it helps with the blurs? You may also want to turn super sampling down in the settings if it's too obnoxious.
Link Posted: 12/6/2017 5:20:14 PM EDT
[#28]
So the blur.

At all lens distances it's present not sure why.  Blur is directly related to the TON of godrays I'm seeing.

Not sure what changed last time I used it 2 days ago but seems a lot better.  One problem I do have is my stupid eye lashes hang into my vision particularly on the left eye.  Drives me nuts daily.

Might be part of it.

Feeling better today will try it again tonight.
Link Posted: 12/7/2017 1:00:39 AM EDT
[#29]
That's unfortunate. I'm not sure what else to try if you've adjusted pupil distance and screen distance.
Link Posted: 12/7/2017 3:18:00 PM EDT
[#30]
Ok so I didn't get to test it last night but I did for a couple minutes this morning.

Noticed night mode.

Turned that on and tested.

BOOM.

Godrays gone.

Lenses crystal clear no smudges.

Will test properly tonight with full games

(I have EXCEPTIONAL night vision and bright lights bother me, wondering if that was part of the problem)
Link Posted: 12/7/2017 5:21:36 PM EDT
[#31]
I bought one during Black Friday.

Tested it out a bit but I'm just waiting for Fallout VR.
Link Posted: 12/8/2017 10:28:38 PM EDT
[#32]
I've had mine for well over a year. I'm glad to see people jumping on board now that it is more affordable and has a larger game selection.

Unfortunately, I haven't been using my much over the last 6 months.

Shoot me a PM of you want to add me on steam. I'm probably going to pick up Arizona Sunshine once it goes on sale again.
Link Posted: 1/7/2018 12:06:38 PM EDT
[#33]
Me and my brother play onward a bit and it’s a blast. Just last night we got a few hours in. If you are interested in playing let me know. It would be great to get a 5 man squad together that works well. Great game except the greater than x1 power optics are a bit rough
Link Posted: 1/7/2018 12:12:57 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Me and my brother play onward a bit and it's a blast. Just last night we got a few hours in. If you are interested in playing let me know. It would be great to get a 5 man squad together that works well. Great game except the greater than x1 power optics are a bit rough
View Quote
Hopefully that's one of my early purchases. I just finished building my new rig and I should have my Vive next month
Link Posted: 2/3/2018 2:30:27 AM EDT
[#35]
Got mine a couple of days ago

I've already rearranged my room once and am now looking at twin beds instead of my queen size to save room

All I've played are free games and stuff from my free Viveport so far aside from a few I had that now have VR support.

My only complaint really is the resolution and focus... I'm used to looking all over a large screen, but to focus correctly in the Vive I have to point directly at what I'm trying to look at. As far as resolution, in some games it's not a big deal but in others (especially those without native support) it's hard to see detail.

That being said, I've been playing PC games in 3D since the early 2000's with shutter glasses so it's a big step up from that

I've already had some great experiences and am really looking forward to more games.

Asteroids are way bigger in 3D BTW... Elite: Dangerous
Link Posted: 2/6/2018 6:04:15 AM EDT
[#36]
Gorn is absolutely hilarious
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top