Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By freerider04:
What's the way to go for helos?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By SmilingBandit:
Sounds like you need to get into rotary my friend.
KA-50 is a nice attack helo that's pretty good.  If you want cargo then it's UH-1 (which can also gunship) or an MI-8.
Link Posted: 12/20/2019 12:50:36 AM EDT
[#2]
I'm really wanting to get into VR and the 2 devices I see in my price range are the Rift S and Samsung Odyssey Plus.  A buddy of mine who's been flying DCS for quite some time prefers the Samsung.   But I've seen some quite positive reviews of the Rift S.

Right now I'm using an RX570 GPU but plan to upgrade to the RX5700 for use with VR, if that matters.

What sayeth arfcom?
Link Posted: 12/20/2019 2:54:41 PM EDT
[#3]
Hey all,

Excited to find this thread as I am a huge flight sim person.  I have not played a legit sim in quite some time and looking forward to hoping in this one.  Only have been going through the training modules the past couple of days and feel like I am getting the hang of it a touch.  My questions is:  being a newby to this whole game should I wait to jump into any online multiplayer?  I don't want to be "that guy" who doesn't know whats happening.  Thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 12/20/2019 3:16:48 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By drewptwo:
Hey all,

Excited to find this thread as I am a huge flight sim person.  I have not played a legit sim in quite some time and looking forward to hoping in this one.  Only have been going through the training modules the past couple of days and feel like I am getting the hang of it a touch.  My questions is:  being a newby to this whole game should I wait to jump into any online multiplayer?  I don't want to be "that guy" who doesn't know whats happening.  Thanks in advance.
View Quote
As long as you know how to use your IFF and/or visually ID targets, and don't take a "ready or not, here I come" approach to airfield ground and pattern ops, you won't really piss anyone off in public servers.
Link Posted: 12/20/2019 4:45:16 PM EDT
[Last Edit: freerider04] [#5]
I just want to fly my damn Viggen!

Fixed my PC issues (had to roll back a bad update) and now I can't get more than 10 seconds in after the cockpit loads up before DCS crashes.  Doesn't happen with anything else, just the freaking plane I just bought

This is why we can't have nice things.  Now to play CSI: DCS and figure out how to get my games head out of its ass
Link Posted: 12/20/2019 8:13:16 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By Seth_Livzz:
I'm really wanting to get into VR and the 2 devices I see in my price range are the Rift S and Samsung Odyssey Plus.  A buddy of mine who's been flying DCS for quite some time prefers the Samsung.   But I've seen some quite positive reviews of the Rift S.

Right now I'm using an RX570 GPU but plan to upgrade to the RX5700 for use with VR, if that matters.

What sayeth arfcom?
View Quote
RX570 deinitely won't cut it.  5700 probably not either.  1080ti/2080ti are what you want.  What CPU do you have?
Link Posted: 12/20/2019 8:24:37 PM EDT
[#7]
Someone on Reddit made this very useful graphic:
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 12/20/2019 8:48:35 PM EDT
[#8]

What sayeth arfcom?
View Quote
@Seth_Livzz

I've had the odyssey+ for about a year now.
It's a great headset with awesome clarity but has one HUGE and one medium drawback:

Huge
The headset is very uncomfortable out of the box.  To make it bearable for more than 10 min, I had to buy 3rd party upgraded foam face pads and an add-on head strap that pulls more of the weight off your face and onto the top of your head.
With these 2 upgrades, I can go about 45-60 min before I have to take a break.

Medium
You have to download Windows Mixed Reality and Steam VR.  Both are required for the headset to work.
Link Posted: 12/20/2019 9:03:24 PM EDT
[#9]
I'll take Steam VR and WMR over Oculus Home after having had both
Link Posted: 12/20/2019 10:06:17 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By CropDusterC6:
View Quote
Same. My hp reverb is cool
Link Posted: 12/20/2019 10:12:01 PM EDT
[#11]

What sayeth arfcom?
View Quote
No experience with the Rift, I have an Odyssey+ running an RTX 2060 and Ryzen 7 3700X 32gb ram. No issues with frame rates or clarity once I got it dialed in. I run almost all high settings.
Link Posted: 12/20/2019 10:32:19 PM EDT
[#12]
Hey all,

View Quote
One of the biggest issues with multi is the lack of mission planning, so knowing whats happening and what's where is a pain.  Using the fancy AG weapon systems is a bitch when you need to get map coordinates and then manually put them in for waypoints to orient off of.
Link Posted: 12/20/2019 10:56:57 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By brasilia:
@Seth_Livzz

I've had the odyssey+ for about a year now.
It's a great headset with awesome clarity but has one HUGE and one medium drawback:

Huge
The headset is very uncomfortable out of the box.  To make it bearable for more than 10 min, I had to buy 3rd party upgraded foam face pads and an add-on head strap that pulls more of the weight off your face and onto the top of your head.
With these 2 upgrades, I can go about 45-60 min before I have to take a break.

Medium
You have to download Windows Mixed Reality and Steam VR.  Both are required for the headset to work.
View Quote
Awesome considering I found an Odyssey Plus on Amazon earlier for $229!  A buddy of mine already mentioned the foam and top strap are must haves, so I'll get get ordered as well.

I'm hoping VR is so badass I'll never want to fly by monitors ever again.
Link Posted: 12/20/2019 11:20:14 PM EDT
[#14]
Hey all,

View Quote
I wouldn't worry about it from that perspective. Hoggit is a reddit channel that welcomes new guys to their online DCS servers so I would look there. With whatever aircraft you are flying, I would definitely recommend understanding the IFF systems. Most mess-ups are ok and the DCS community as a whole is almost always happy to help; that being said, friendly fire is extremely frowned upon and will earn you a kick or ban in short order in every server I have been on.
Link Posted: 12/21/2019 12:54:26 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By Z09SS:

Considering the trend with DCS to do the "last version in service" hoping for an F-4S doesn't seem too out of line; though a late F-4B or F-4J seems more likely.

Leatherneck is doing the F-8J where the definitive Crusader was the F-8E.  The 'Sader is kind of niche considering.

I have hope!

Especially since, once the broad strokes are done with a plane, the smaller systems SHOULD be relatively easy to implement.
View Quote
F8J was used by USN and the French airforce and maybe even the phillipines. So its more about number of countries that operated it too.
Link Posted: 12/21/2019 12:55:35 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Harlikwin] [#16]
Originally Posted By RichieRich3902:
Since the winter sale is on what should I add if anything?  I have the F14, F/A18, F5, F86, A-10C, FC3 (stupid purchase), P-51 and all the maps...
View Quote
The Jeffe (JF17) is awesome. Currently slightly bugged for online RWR on a few servers but I'm sure it will sorted. Its debatable to me if the JF17 or the F14 were the best modules released this year.

The Mig21 is a good module as is the Viggen if you want non western stuff for A/A or A/G. Neither are too competitive online though.
Link Posted: 12/21/2019 12:59:11 PM EDT
[#17]

View Quote
Depends on what you want to do. I have em all and mainly use em online so there is a strong bias in my opinion.

KA50: Sovietsky awesomeness, powerful, fast, hard to learn to fly right, but a great module overall, will get new pit soon, plus an "upgraded" model.

Gaz: Generally ok, hard to use due to 2man design and short range missiles, laughably bad FM but nimble once you figure it out and accept the arcade mode FM.

UH1: Hard to use as gunship due to sniper AI, decent as a transport. Probably the easiest one to learn to fly.

Mi8: Hard to use as gunship due to sniper AI, decent as a transport. Funner/easier to fly long distance due to autopilot
Link Posted: 12/21/2019 1:00:13 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Harlikwin] [#18]

What sayeth arfcom?
View Quote
RiftS if you can't go Reverb. O+ is a bit older tech, and the RiftS with the LCD panels will probably be more clear with lower performance overhead. I was trying to get an O+ as backup for my reverb but got scammed.
Link Posted: 12/21/2019 1:02:15 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Harlikwin] [#19]
Hey all,

View Quote
For online stuff. Figure out how to fly the plane first and use the weapon systems etc. Knowing actual NAV is mandatory on some servers.

Then Get SRS and figure out how to use it (comms)

Then Start on a PVE server like Georgia at war (GAW). No one likes a player killing noob so learn how to IFF :)

If you really want you can get on "just dogfight" for quick airstart practice and no one really uses comms there.
Link Posted: 12/21/2019 1:06:15 PM EDT
[#20]
View Quote
Yup. Its clunky but performance is better imo.
Link Posted: 12/21/2019 1:09:03 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By Bushamster21:

I wouldn't worry about it from that perspective. Hoggit is a reddit channel that welcomes new guys to their online DCS servers so I would look there. With whatever aircraft you are flying, I would definitely recommend understanding the IFF systems. Most mess-ups are ok and the DCS community as a whole is almost always happy to help; that being said, friendly fire is extremely frowned upon and will earn you a kick or ban in short order in every server I have been on.
View Quote
Also, pro tip, don't shoot down a mod on accident then taunt him about it . Once we sorted it out that IFF wasn't actually working and that I didn't realize that I had shot him down and apologized profusely he decided not to ban me .

The other thing aside from IFF is to learn to actually operate at the airport and call your takoffs and landings. And never ever take off from the damn taxiway, that's generally a pretty quick way to get banned too.

GAW also has a training server to get your feet wet.
Link Posted: 12/21/2019 9:27:54 PM EDT
[#22]
Thanks for the tips. I feel proficient at flying, using the various weapons systems. Still struggling with nav a touch. Are the labels turned off in MP? If so what is the IFF system you would use?
Link Posted: 12/21/2019 10:46:23 PM EDT
[#23]
Thanks for the tips. I feel proficient at flying, using the various weapons systems. Still struggling with nav a touch. Are the labels turned off in MP? If so what is the IFF system you would use?
View Quote
Yes the labels are turned off. The newer jets have a couple options. datalink is a network that shares information about all the detected aircraft. As soon as it's identified as hostile or friendly it will popup on your radar as a red or green icon. Russian aircraft have a slightly different system but is the same concept.

You can also "interrogate" an aircraft to see if the response is friendly or not.

Awacs call outs will give you direction and altitude.

A lot of the servers will have icons on the F10 map for friendly aircraft.

Call out "raygun" over comms/chat and see if you get a response back for "buddyspike"
Link Posted: 12/22/2019 4:05:39 AM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By Harlikwin:
F8J was used by USN and the French airforce and maybe even the phillipines. So its more about number of countries that operated it too.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Z09SS:

Considering the trend with DCS to do the "last version in service" hoping for an F-4S doesn't seem too out of line; though a late F-4B or F-4J seems more likely.

Leatherneck is doing the F-8J where the definitive Crusader was the F-8E.  The 'Sader is kind of niche considering.

I have hope!

Especially since, once the broad strokes are done with a plane, the smaller systems SHOULD be relatively easy to implement.
The French 'Sader isn't an F-8J, the F-8E(FN) is an upgraded version of the F-8E that lends to the rebuilds into F-8J.  It sits between the F-8E and F-8J with regards of development.

The hottest ship of the 'Sader line would be the F-8K because it's still a fairly svelte F-8C with the upgraded engine from the F-8J.

The Philippines used the F-8H, a rebuilt F-8D.
Link Posted: 12/22/2019 5:47:46 AM EDT
[#25]
A buddy of mine gifted me the F-18 and the Nevada modules yesterday.  I need to buy all I can while the Steam sale is going on.
Link Posted: 12/22/2019 11:27:31 AM EDT
[#26]
View Quote
What aircraft are you focusing on?  I'll fly with you online and show you the ropes, if you're interested just shoot me a PM
Link Posted: 12/22/2019 3:28:52 PM EDT
[#27]
Is there any Red air that’s worth messing with?
Link Posted: 12/22/2019 4:56:45 PM EDT
[#28]
Well the Viggen seems to have my system borked (Björked?)

Can't make it more than 5 minutes without freezing and crashing hard. Maybe it's an OB issue, time to try stable version
Link Posted: 12/22/2019 5:03:50 PM EDT
[#29]
View Quote
Link Posted: 12/22/2019 5:13:31 PM EDT
[#30]
Someone needs to make an A-6 Intruder
Link Posted: 12/22/2019 7:44:41 PM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By cone256:
Someone needs to make an A-6 Intruder
View Quote
I think Heatblur is working on the D and E.

Bonus points if they correctly model the pilots ability to unplug the B/N’s G-suit so you can shut him up when he’s talking too much.
Link Posted: 12/22/2019 8:37:16 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Harlikwin] [#32]
View Quote
It varies. Most serious PVP server have em off. Most PVE servers have them for air but not ground.
Link Posted: 12/22/2019 8:40:00 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Harlikwin] [#33]
View Quote
The jeff (JF17) is the most modern, nost complete and IMO best plane in dcs right now. Currently the RWR is borked online  tho so MP is sporty. But it was awesome when it used to work a week ago. Most people count it as "red" even though its "green". There has been all sorts of pant shitting about the Sd10 being overpowered but its mostly the same whining any time a new missile comes out as most "competitive doods" are whiny bitches looking for any advantage or excuse they can use.

The mig21 is pretty underrated if you can survive to the merge and can actually fly it will ruin ppls day. Best used on the caucus map with mountains and a human gci.
Link Posted: 12/22/2019 9:36:07 PM EDT
[#34]
Finally got shit working right.

@Harlikwin you were right, the Viggen is rad.  It feels like a Cadillac down in the dirt at light speed.  I can see how the Bk90 employed properly can really wreck something.  It's also a whole lot of fun to scream across something leaving a trail of the high drag bombs in your wake

Time to play around with mission planning
Link Posted: 12/22/2019 10:30:14 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Harlikwin] [#35]
Finally got shit working right.

@Harlikwin you were right, the Viggen is rad.  It feels like a Cadillac down in the dirt at light speed.  I can see how the Bk90 employed properly can really wreck something.  It's also a whole lot of fun to scream across something leaving a trail of the high drag bombs in your wake

Time to play around with mission planning
View Quote
Yup, its pretty rad. The fun part being most guys can't catch you on the deck if you open up the taps. The hard part is properly employing the weapons in the 2-3 seconds you have on target. That and if you want to use it online, finding Viggen friendly servers.

Also look into the combatflite program. I think they support viggen these days.
Link Posted: 12/23/2019 9:35:33 AM EDT
[#36]

What aircraft are you focusing on?  I'll fly with you online and show you the ropes, if you're interested just shoot me a PM
View Quote
Currently spending a lot if time in the A-10a doing CAS type missions.  I appreciate the offer and will shoot you a PM.
Link Posted: 12/23/2019 4:29:39 PM EDT
[Last Edit: CavScout] [#37]
I just got my sim setup going again with the TM Warthog setup + TM rudder pedals. I used to be on DCS steam but left and went all PC direct. I use (3) 27” Dell monitors with 144Hz.

Bought the F-18C and A-10C + Nevada module and wow the F-18 is outstanding to fly. I am contemplating the F-16 as I was a huge Falcon 4.0 player. I will hook up with you guys but so far I have watched various YT videos on how to work the aircraft.
Link Posted: 12/24/2019 12:14:36 PM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By CavScout:
I just got my sim setup going again with the TM Warthog setup + TM rudder pedals. I used to be on DCS steam but left and went all PC direct. I use (3) 27” Dell monitors with 144Hz.

Bought the F-18C and A-10C + Nevada module and wow the F-18 is outstanding to fly. I am contemplating the F-16 as I was a huge Falcon 4.0 player. I will hook up with you guys but so far I have watched various YT videos on how to work the aircraft.
View Quote
The Viper is way less complete than the F18 just as heads up. Its not terrible A/A though.
Link Posted: 12/24/2019 12:37:03 PM EDT
[#39]

The Viper is way less complete than the F18 just as heads up. Its not terrible A/A though.
View Quote
Interesting, are they pushing incremental releases on the platform to get it right?
Link Posted: 12/24/2019 12:58:06 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Harlikwin] [#40]

Interesting, are they pushing incremental releases on the platform to get it right?
View Quote
Yeah, that's basically how Early Access works. Hornet is in the same place, just further along. A good example is that neither jet has functional EW or A/G radar, and half done unrealistic/magic TGP. The hornet has a good selection of A/G ordance (JDAM's, LGB's, Harms, Mavs etc), while the Viper currently only has LGB's and Dumb bombs. A year ago the Hornet had less A/G capability as the viper does now (no TGP).

If you want mostly complete modules, the A-10 is good, and the newly released JF-17 is more or less done (currently the RWR is borked online though, but will probably get fixed in early jan when the next update comes). But overall its probably the most complete gen4 jet in the game right now. The F14 is amazing as well, again mostly done, but some things still a WIP (ground attack jester for one). Stay well away from Razbam modules (M2k, harrier, mig19) unless you want a half finished bug ridden shitshow that seldom gets updated.
Link Posted: 12/27/2019 3:32:28 PM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By @Harlikwin:

Yeah, that's basically how Early Access works. Hornet is in the same place, just further along. A good example is that neither jet has functional EW or A/G radar, and half done unrealistic/magic TGP. The hornet has a good selection of A/G ordance (JDAM's, LGB's, Harms, Mavs etc), while the Viper currently only has LGB's and Dumb bombs. A year ago the Hornet had less A/G capability as the viper does now (no TGP).

If you want mostly complete modules, the A-10 is good, and the newly released JF-17 is more or less done (currently the RWR is borked online though, but will probably get fixed in early jan when the next update comes). But overall its probably the most complete gen4 jet in the game right now. The F14 is amazing as well, again mostly done, but some things still a WIP (ground attack jester for one). Stay well away from Razbam modules (M2k, harrier, mig19) unless you want a half finished bug ridden shitshow that seldom gets updated.
View Quote
With the update this week, it sounds like they addressed some of the concerns you raised, have you been able to confirm? Am I ready to pull the trigger on the F-16C?
Link Posted: 12/27/2019 5:43:56 PM EDT
[#42]

With the update this week, it sounds like they addressed some of the concerns you raised, have you been able to confirm? Am I ready to pull the trigger on the F-16C?
View Quote
You have to be okay with early access.  It sounds easy, but for a lot of people it's not and they bitch about it quite loudly.

The F-16 is pretty well off in many respects for its stage in EA, having a lot of systems similar to the Hornet, but it still has a lot to go.  Some planes live in early access forever, I'm looking at you Mig-21 with 5 years in EA, and that's another story.

Frankly, it's not terrible since you get to learn systems as they get added rather than trying to drink from the fire hose all at once.
Link Posted: 12/27/2019 6:28:13 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Harlikwin] [#43]

View Quote
Which concerns with what? Not much has been added to the Viper in the last update, currently its missing a ton of systems and weapons. Its "usable" A/A online IMO since it has TWS and semi functional data link and dummy grade IFF. A/G wise, you get dumb bombs, LGB's. No word on any other systems coming soon, though I'd expect something like Mavs or Jdams in the coming months. The Big news was the TWS added for the Hornet which made a lot of guys happy. And the Broken RWR on the Jeff which made a bunch of guys unhappy (namely me).
Link Posted: 12/27/2019 6:31:06 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Harlikwin] [#44]

You have to be okay with early access.  It sounds easy, but for a lot of people it's not and they bitch about it quite loudly.

The F-16 is pretty well off in many respects for its stage in EA, having a lot of systems similar to the Hornet, but it still has a lot to go.  Some planes live in early access forever, I'm looking at you Mig-21 with 5 years in EA, and that's another story.

Frankly, it's not terrible since you get to learn systems as they get added rather than trying to drink from the fire hose all at once.
View Quote
I wouldn't call the Mig21 EA, its been done for a long while. It still has some bugs that keep popping up since ED keeps "improving" the engine. If anything the Mig21 is a testament of how good developers keep supporting products as the engine moves forward. The Mig21 survived what 3 major engine upgrades so far? And its getting an improved pit. IDK, for a dev team as small as M3 is that's a good track record (yes I know they used to be leatherneck etc).
Link Posted: 12/27/2019 6:37:54 PM EDT
[#45]
I wouldn't call the Mig21 EA, its been done for a long while. It still has some bugs that keep popping up since ED keeps "improving" the engine. If anything the Mig21 is a testament of how good developers keep supporting products as the engine moves forward. The Mig21 survived what 3 major engine upgrades so far? And its getting an improved pit. IDK, for a dev team as small as M3 is that's a good track record (yes I know they used to be leatherneck etc).
View All Quotes

I just looked and indeed it doesn't have the EA flag on its title anymore.  But there are plenty of aircraft that are living in early access.
Link Posted: 12/27/2019 7:54:37 PM EDT
[#46]

Which concerns with what? Not much has been added to the Viper in the last update, currently its missing a ton of systems and weapons. Its "usable" A/A online IMO since it has TWS and semi functional data link and dummy grade IFF. A/G wise, you get dumb bombs, LGB's. No word on any other systems coming soon, though I'd expect something like Mavs or Jdams in the coming months. The Big news was the TWS added for the Hornet which made a lot of guys happy. And the Broken RWR on the Jeff which made a bunch of guys unhappy (namely me).
View Quote
I was just reading the change notes from the patch on the 23rd and it seemed like a decent laundry list but I was not sure.
Link Posted: 12/27/2019 8:47:00 PM EDT
[#47]
Got lucky this flight, I was training in the F-18C and after ACM training with guns I was low on fuel, no carrier nearly so I went over land and flew slow as I could, maintaining 2500' until I happened upon an airfield. Landed with 90lbs in each tank, taxied then ran out of fuel lol. I love missions like that!
Link Posted: 12/27/2019 8:55:22 PM EDT
[#48]
Got lucky this flight, I was training in the F-18C and after ACM training with guns I was low on fuel, no carrier nearly so I went over land and flew slow as I could, maintaining 2500' until I happened upon an airfield. Landed with 90lbs in each tank, taxied then ran out of fuel lol. I love missions like that!
View Quote
For what it's worth, slowest isn't going to be your best speed to stretch your legs.  On the F-18 if you go to the FPAS page it will tell you the optimum speed and altitude for endurance and distance.  It's counter-intuitive, but in a jet you are generally better off to spend gas climbing to get to a better cruise profille.
Link Posted: 12/27/2019 8:58:37 PM EDT
[#49]

I was just reading the change notes from the patch on the 23rd and it seemed like a decent laundry list but I was not sure.
View Quote
Ah.  That was a stable update that brought a bunch of stuff that was on the beta channel over.  For what it's worth, quite a lot of the online servers use the beta branch.
Link Posted: 12/27/2019 9:11:04 PM EDT
[#50]
View Quote
I had one like that a few days ago.  Took some bomb damage while taking off and was left with a very bright caution and warning panel, no nav, and a wicked fuel leak.

Somehow I limped it to another field and set down on the rims with like 200lbs left
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 79
Top Top