Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/29/2009 9:42:49 PM EDT
All I have at the moment are the bowflex select tech dumbells until I can afford a barbell set (and have the room).  Is there a routine that I can use?
Link Posted: 4/29/2009 10:14:02 PM EDT
[#1]
A good workout is best done in bed [:)
Link Posted: 4/29/2009 11:02:23 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 4/30/2009 1:24:10 PM EDT
[#3]
It's kind of cliche but I'm trying to get rid of the flab and get a "hard body".  
Link Posted: 4/30/2009 1:52:00 PM EDT
[#4]
The Waterbury Summer Project is a great routine you might look into. I'm not sure how heavy those dumbells go and there are a couple lifts on it that might be hard to sub dumbells for a barbell too. Like Good mornings.

http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_article/sports_body_training_performance/the_waterbury_summer_project
Link Posted: 4/30/2009 1:54:41 PM EDT
[#5]
I don't know of any specific routines per se, but you can do lots of different exercises with dumbells-

Thrusters, cleans, snatches, dumbbell swings, shoulder presses, squats etc....

these are all good exercises, google them if you're unfamiliar. Mix these up with some runs and burpees and stuff and you'll be set...

For example, one workout might look like:
3 rounds of 20 thrusters w/ 45# dumbbells, run 400 meters

another:

25 cleans 25 burpees, 20 cleans 20 burpees, 15 cleans 15 burpees 10 cleans 10 burpees, 5 cleans 5 burpees....

Lots and lots of options...Doing this type of curcuit course training at a high intensity is the absolute best way to lose body fat and get in better shape.
Of course you need some heavy weights if you want to get strong :)
I'd look at building a pullup bar too, just use some steel pipe, and floor flanges and bolt to studs in the ceiling....
Link Posted: 4/30/2009 3:39:38 PM EDT
[#6]
You can do squats with dumbells, in fact, you can do overhead squats with dumbells.  Even better.

I'm thinking something like German volume training, where you are starting at 60% of 1 RM.

10 sets of 10 with one minute rest between sets.  Pick some nice complexes like overhad pressing, bench pressing, overhead squats, rows, stiff leg deadlifts and shrugs.  Do 2 of these every other day.  You get to rest on the weekends.
Link Posted: 4/30/2009 11:13:05 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

The Waterbury Summer Project is a great routine you might look into.
I'm not sure how heavy those dumbells go and there are a couple lifts
on it that might be hard to sub dumbells for a barbell too. Like Good
mornings.

http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_article/sports_body_training_performance/the_waterbury_summer_project
I'll try that routine for a while.  What I don't understand in the Reps Max.  His explanation doesn't make much sense to me.

Quoted:

I don't know of any specific routines per se, but you can do lots of different exercises with dumbells-

these are all good exercises, google them if you're unfamiliar. Mix these up with some runs and burpees and stuff and you'll be set...

another:

25 cleans 25 burpees, 20 cleans 20 burpees, 15 cleans 15 burpees 10 cleans 10 burpees, 5 cleans 5 burpees....
Lots and lots of options...Doing this type of curcuit course training at a high intensity is the absolute best way to lose body fat and get in better shape.

I'd look at building a pullup bar too, just use some steel pipe, and floor flanges and bolt to studs in the ceiling....
Those look like they will be very effective.  I have the Iron Gym Pull up bar but doing them in a door frame is very restrictive.  I'll have to find a substitution.

Link Posted: 5/1/2009 6:37:32 AM EDT
[#8]
Week1 Day1 for example. The parameters are 4sets of 6 with your 8 rep max.
That means do 4 sets of 6 reps with a weight you can lift a max of 8 times.
If you haven't been lifting its hard to know what you certain rep max is. I just experiment with it and guess closely. Sometimes I fail and have to back off the weight and sometimes I feel like I could have done a bit more. Its not an exact science. The more you lift the easier it will be to judge an accurate RM.
My concern for you and this workout is that you might not have enough weight for some of the lifts since you only have the dumbells. The nice thing about it is it has a lot of single leg stuff that will help you need much less weight. The Bulgarian split squats kicked my ass figuratively and literally..
Link Posted: 5/1/2009 6:39:20 AM EDT
[#9]
Also helpful here are the routines in pdf format that you can print out. Easier to follow. Though you still need to read the article ahead of time for each phase.
http://home.comcast.net/~bloodstone66/week_01.pdf
http://home.comcast.net/~bloodstone66/week_02.pdf
http://home.comcast.net/~bloodstone66/week_03.pdf
http://home.comcast.net/~bloodstone66/week_04.pdf
http://home.comcast.net/~bloodstone66/week_05.pdf
http://home.comcast.net/~bloodstone66/week_06.pdf
http://home.comcast.net/~bloodstone66/week_07.pdf
http://home.comcast.net/~bloodstone66/week_08.pdf
Link Posted: 5/1/2009 6:52:34 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Quoted:
The Waterbury Summer Project is a great routine you might look into.I'm not sure how heavy those dumbells go and there are a couple liftson it that might be hard to sub dumbells for a barbell too. Like Goodmornings.

I'll try that routine for a while.  What I don't understand in the Reps Max.  His explanation doesn't make much sense to me.
Quoted:

another:

Those look like they will be very effective.  I have the Iron Gym Pull up bar but doing them in a door frame is very restrictive.  I'll have to find a substitution.

Totally forgot overhead squats, very good exercise....also...

Google Tabata....it's 20 seconds on, 10 seconds off as intense as you can go for anywhere to 4-6 rounds per exercise...it's F'n brutal....

Pull up bar-
I'll describe a little better how I build them, I've done this like 5 times in different places:
bolt a 2x4 across 3-4 studs in the ceiling. Buy 2 10-12" pipes, I like 3/4" width. Buy 2 elbows and 1 36" pipe and 2 floor flanges. screw together all the parts to make a l___l shape then bolt it to the 2x4 in the ceiling. I like to wrap the bar in athletic tape then.

Link Posted: 5/1/2009 8:07:33 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
The Waterbury Summer Project is a great routine you might look into.I'm not sure how heavy those dumbells go and there are a couple liftson it that might be hard to sub dumbells for a barbell too. Like Goodmornings.

Quoted:

another:

Google Tabata....it's 20 seconds on, 10 seconds off as intense as you can go for anywhere to 4-6 rounds per exercise...it's F'n brutal....

Pull up bar-
I'll describe a little better how I build them, I've done this like 5 times in different places:
bolt a 2x4 across 3-4 studs in the ceiling. Buy 2 10-12" pipes, I like 3/4" width. Buy 2 elbows and 1 36" pipe and 2 floor flanges. screw together all the parts to make a l___l shape then bolt it to the 2x4 in the ceiling. I like to wrap the bar in athletic tape then.

I'm guessing you are who I got the idea from. Someone on here posted that and I built one. LOVE it. Now I have a power cage that has a bar in it but I really prefer the one I built.
Here is a pic of mine. I used a 2x6 though.
http://www.blackbirdpilot.com/coppermine/albums/userpics/10001/homegym3.jpg
Link Posted: 5/1/2009 10:55:12 AM EDT
[#12]
Once I buy my own house, i'll make a gym in the garage.
Link Posted: 5/1/2009 11:00:41 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

If you haven't been lifting its hard to know what you certain rep max is. I just experiment with it and guess closely. Sometimes I fail and have to back off the weight and sometimes I feel like I could have done a bit more. Its not an exact science. The more you lift the easier it will be to judge an accurate RM.

My concern for you and this workout is that you might not have enough weight for some of the lifts since you only have the dumbells. The nice thing about it is it has a lot of single leg stuff that will help you need much less weight. The Bulgarian split squats kicked my ass figuratively and literally..

The dumbells go to 52.5 lbs.  

I downloaded those .pdfs, thanks.

Link Posted: 5/1/2009 11:23:10 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

another:

Pull up bar-

I'm guessing you are who I got the idea from. Someone on here posted that and I built one. LOVE it. Now I have a power cage that has a bar in it but I really prefer the one I built.
Here is a pic of mine. I used a 2x6 though.
http://www.blackbirdpilot.com/coppermine/albums/userpics/10001/homegym3.jpg

Nice. Mine looks just like that, except it's a "double" with a T in the middle so me and the wife can do pullups at the same time. I need a squat rack like that too....right now I have 4x4s in 5 gallon buckets with concrete...I put notches in the top to hold my bar. Works pretty good, but sure would like a nice rack....

Link Posted: 5/1/2009 11:24:33 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Quoted:

The dumbells go to 52.5 lbs.  

I downloaded those .pdfs, thanks.

It's the only way to go man. No driving to the gym...no waiting for the ONE fucking squat rack while some douche uses it to do curls...it's awesome, and you can get a pretty good setup for fairly cheap if you're patient and use Craigslist.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top