Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/9/2006 9:44:31 AM EDT
Do any of you guys work any particular muscles EVERY day?

I know they say to give muscles a day to "recover" between workouts (I know most people alternate muscle groups every day) but what if after a good intense workout of a muscle group they just aren't even sore come gym time the next day, is it worth hitting them again the next day? Or is this just a waste of time?

I'll also add that I noticed much better recovery time after I started using protein and creatine supplements, not sure if this has anything to do with it.

Link Posted: 2/9/2006 9:46:56 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
Do any of you guys work any particular muscles EVERY day?

I know they say to give muscles a day to "recover" between workouts (I know most people alternate muscle groups every day) but what if after a good intense workout of a muscle group they just aren't even sore come gym time the next day, is it worth hitting them again the next day? Or is this just a waste of time?

I'll also add that I noticed much better recovery time after I started using protein and creatine supplements, not sure if this has anything to do with it.

I've been lifting for ten years and while it feels good to get sore, if you lift sore, your gonna injure something.  Even training for a competition in ONE lift you have to take breaks and vary your schedule.  Nutrition is absolutly essential to prevent injuries to.
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 11:12:05 PM EDT
[#2]
I do not lift every day, nor do I recommend it. You need to give the muscles some recovery time.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 1:39:09 AM EDT
[#3]
You need to give a muscle group more than one day recovery time, 2 or three days is good. You should not be so sore that you are hurt. Eat a large amount of protein (animal is best and whey is second best) about 45 minutes after you are done lifting.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 12:55:22 PM EDT
[#4]
If you are not sore you are not lifting heavy enough.  You can run every day and thats about it.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 7:05:25 PM EDT
[#5]
The only two muscle groups you can (should) work every day are abdominals and your calf muscles.

Muscle groups need recovery time to heal and expel lactic acid.  The two mentioned groups heal much more quickly than chest muscles.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 7:36:45 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
You need to give a muscle group more than one day recovery time, 2 or three days is good. You should not be so sore that you are hurt. Eat a large amount of protein (animal is best and whey is second best) about 45 minutes after you are done lifting.

You should take in about 40g of protein and 50-80g of carbs before and immediatly after your workout. given that you are around 200lbs.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 3:37:53 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You should take in about 40g of protein and 50-80g of carbs before and immediatly after your workout. given that you are around 200lbs.

I have heard this before and if it works for you go for it. All that blood you need pumping through your muscles will be tied up in your stomach digesting food, though. You should get your complex carbs early in the day (breakfast & first snack) so they can fuel you for the rest of the day.

If you are lifting seriously (three to four times a week) and really trying to build muscle mass you need to eat 30 - 40 grams of protein 5 or 6 times a day.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 6:39:40 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I have heard this before and if it works for you go for it. All that blood you need pumping through your muscles will be tied up in your stomach digesting food, though. You should get your complex carbs early in the day (breakfast & first snack) so they can fuel you for the rest of the day.

If you are lifting seriously (three to four times a week) and really trying to build muscle mass you need to eat 30 - 40 grams of protein 5 or 6 times a day.

I guess I should have qualifies it by saying simple carbs. Dextrose and maltodextrin are the best chioces.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 7:29:47 AM EDT
[#9]
This should ruffle some feathers.

I think you can work a muscle group every day, and get results.  
Think about this.  A mechanic that uses his arm muscles tightening bolts all day, every day.  He doesn't take one or two days off.  Not if he wants to eat regular that is.  How about putting up hay, the old fashioned way.  Square bales heaved up onto a wagon then unloaded and stacked in a barn.  You did this until the job was done.  No days off.  You got sore, but you did it any way.  It made you strong, and after a summer of doing this kind of work, you looked it too.  
If you want to work a set of muscles every day do it smart.  Vary the routine, use heavy weights, and low reps, use light weights and high reps, use medium weights and moderate reps.  Try for some functional work for the muscle set also.  
I did this for my shoulders, and it worked great.   Here is a quick overview of what I did:

Overhead Pressing
Monday:  5 x 5 heavy
Tuesday:  25 reps of 25% 1RM
Wednesday: 25 reps of 25% 1 RM
Thursday:  8 x 5 75% 1 RM
Friday:  20 reps of 20% 1 RM
Functional stuff on the weekends:  Tire flipping, and bag work (sand and feed).

John
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 8:54:01 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Think about this.  A mechanic that uses his arm muscles tightening bolts all day, every day.  He doesn't take one or two days off.  Not if he wants to eat regular that is.  How about putting up hay, the old fashioned way.  Square bales heaved up onto a wagon then unloaded and stacked in a barn.  You did this until the job was done.  No days off.  You got sore, but you did it any way.  It made you strong, and after a summer of doing this kind of work, you looked it too.  
If you want to work a set of muscles every day do it smart.  Vary the routine, use heavy weights, and low reps, use light weights and high reps, use medium weights and moderate reps.  Try for some functional work for the muscle set also.  
I did this for my shoulders, and it worked great.   Here is a quick overview of what I did:

Overhead Pressing

John

I have read that you can get away with things like that for about 2-3 weeks before your body gives up and starts to break down.

Don't forget that the mechanic usually gets 2 days per week off, and not every day is a reall killer on the forearms. I used to train my forearms once per week, and they are much nicer than anyone else even near my size. Likewise, the farmer generally does a lot of work like that for a few weeks at a time then goes back to a little more of a "normal" type of work for them.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 9:58:22 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Overhead Pressing

John

I have read that you can get away with things like that for about 2-3 weeks before your body gives up and starts to break down.

Don't forget that the mechanic usually gets 2 days per week off, and not every day is a reall killer on the forearms. I used to train my forearms once per week, and they are much nicer than anyone else even near my size. Likewise, the farmer generally does a lot of work like that for a few weeks at a time then goes back to a little more of a "normal" type of work for them.

This is not the type of program that you would want to do forever.  At some point you will screw yourself up.  When I was a swimmer, I did high rep tricep and delt work to help with a weak point in my stroke.  It worked great.  When I got to the point where I didn't need it anymore, I discontinued it.  This type of program will work fine in areas where you have a weakness also.  

One other thing, I did it for 6 weeks.  If your body starts breaking down after 2-3 weeks, it is because you are not eating enough, or you are old and decrepit like me.  
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 4:53:33 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Overhead Pressing

John

338:
You CAN work muscles every day and gain mass / bulk / strength.

If you wish to gain all three in the shortest amount of time you need to rest those muscle groups.

Link Posted: 2/21/2006 12:50:47 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
The only two muscle groups you can (should) work every day are abdominals and your calf muscles.

Muscle groups need recovery time to heal and expel lactic acid.  The two mentioned groups heal much more quickly than chest muscles.

I disagree on the claves.  First latic acid is cleared in less than 24 hours.  Second you should not be producing much lactic acid doing calves.  If you feel a burn in your claves you did too little weight.  They should get pumped and tired just like any other muscle group.  I cant do calves more than twice a week or I will get injured.  Reps should be low compared to most peoples definition on claves.  20 reps is too many. About 10 is ideal.  I will declare ignorance on abs.  My ab routine sucks.  I did however grow my claves from 12" to 17.5" and add over 12" to my vertical jump.
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 12:52:55 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Overhead Pressing

John

338:
You CAN work muscles every day and gain mass / bulk / strength.

If you wish to gain all three in the shortest amount of time you need to rest those muscle groups.

Agreed.  If you train to failure with heavy weight everyday you will stop seeing results then get an overuse injury, everytime.  Low reps and heavy weight will grow your muscles most effectively.  You can get away with twice a week if you dont do other athletic activities but even that is pushing it and you must be advanced IMO to even do that.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 3:17:37 PM EDT
[#15]
You have to find what works for you.

Mine routine is very normal and typical but it works for me. I do know a guy that goes to my gym that does Chest everyday and pretty much nothingelse, and he is in pretty damned good shape and plays basketball well and has lots of endurance.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top