Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/22/2004 6:58:31 AM EDT
Can I injure myself by doing too much cardio? Would  doing 30 min 3 times a day on an elipical machine be good for they ticker or would I be putting too much strain on the heart?

echo6
Link Posted: 10/22/2004 7:43:40 AM EDT
[#1]
I run 40-60 miles a week.

That 's about  6 hours with my heart rate about 150-160 bpm.  

3 X 30 minutes is reasonable.  Start slowly if you are not currently doing any cardio at all.  

ETA - If you can injure yourself by doing too much cardio, I haven't seen it yet.
Link Posted: 10/22/2004 9:59:15 AM EDT
[#2]
That plan would work good to get into it. Then as you go slowly increase time and then start adding more days.

You dont want to run 6 days a week right away or else you will start to get stress fractures. And then yes you will hurt yourself doing cardio. But if you slowly work upto 6 days a week cardio you shouldnt have any problems.
Link Posted: 10/22/2004 10:44:01 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 7:49:49 AM EDT
[#4]
I have to second EAsr thoughts. However, I've known guys ("our age"50), that have had repetious motions like you describe using the "eliptical"everyday will wear down your joints/cartalige/etc. in specific areas causing soreness/pain. I personally try to vary my running motions on diffrent carido machines YMMV.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top