Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/26/2021 5:22:25 PM EDT
So I’m building a platform. Looking for advice from anyone who has done this before.

I have some 1/2” horse mats as my flooring already.

My plan is to screw together two layers of 4’x8’ .75” particle board for an 8’x8’ platform.

I was going to top it with 4’x8’ 1/2” sanded plywood centered and cut my existing 1/2” horse mats to make two 2’x8’ sides to cushion the weights.

Will be 2” tall 8’x8’ long and wide.

Am I thinking this through enough? Are my 1/2” horse mats the right thing to use? I will be used directly on top of concrete.

Wanting to finish with something similar to this:

Link Posted: 2/26/2021 6:06:42 PM EDT
[#1]
Well if you're only going to build it once, use subfloor for bottom, hardwood 3/4 for the top.  3/4 stall mats on the sides.  I also added cheap puzzle type floor matting underneath everything that you get from Harbor Freight.  If you're on a budget, what you propose would be fine.  You're really only going to save maybe $50 for something you will probably have for a long time.

I used grk screws countersunk on the hardwood, grk with finish washers on the mats and gave them a few extra turns so they're flush, but still have washers.
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 7:24:25 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Well if you're only going to build it once, use subfloor for bottom, hardwood 3/4 for the top.  3/4 stall mats on the sides.  I also added cheap puzzle type floor matting underneath everything that you get from Harbor Freight.  If you're on a budget, what you propose would be fine.  You're really only going to save maybe $50 for something you will probably have for a long time.

I used grk screws countersunk on the hardwood, grk with finish washers on the mats and gave them a few extra turns so they're flush, but still have washers.
View Quote

Thanks for the advice. Do you think I’m losing anything if I use the 1/2” mats I already have instead of buying 3/4” mats?

They’re still in pretty good shape.
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 7:26:21 PM EDT
[#3]
3/4 stall mat is kind of the standard, with 3/4 plywood for the part you stand on. I guess it wouldn't be the end of the world if you were pulling from a 1/4" deficit.

Cheap matting under it is a good idea if you are putting it on bare concrete. They will pick up moisture and warp a little usually if they are directly on it.
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 2:45:48 AM EDT
[#4]
I wouldn't fine sand your top plywood, probably come out too slick.

I stained my first platform, which made it a bit tacky, but have left all other generations bare.
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 5:51:06 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 10:48:42 PM EDT
[#6]
Alan Thrall has a pretty good video. Link

It'll be a bitch to move around, I couldn't get mine out of my shed when I moved.
Link Posted: 3/1/2021 9:27:19 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Alan Thrall has a pretty good video. Link

It'll be a bitch to move around, I couldn't get mine out of my shed when I moved.
View Quote

That's almost exactly how I made mine. 4x8 for deadlifts and occasional cleans. I can move it but it's not fun. The titan band pegs make pretty good handles.
Link Posted: 3/6/2021 11:12:15 PM EDT
[#8]

Thanks for the great advice. Finished my platform today. Couldn’t be happier with the results.

Link Posted: 3/7/2021 6:33:27 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
https://hosting.photobucket.com/images/i/BMAK45/EB96F9A8-CFF3-4D0A-81AE-BD8DE09C2C35.jpeg?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

Thanks for the great advice. Finished my platform today. Couldn’t be happier with the results.

View Quote

????
Link Posted: 4/17/2021 4:42:23 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
https://hosting.photobucket.com/images/i/BMAK45/EB96F9A8-CFF3-4D0A-81AE-BD8DE09C2C35.jpeg?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

Thanks for the great advice. Finished my platform today. Couldn't be happier with the results.

View Quote
@BadBobTheAlbino   Did you attach your rack to the platform?  If so, how?
Link Posted: 4/17/2021 5:04:52 AM EDT
[#11]
I'm looking at building one of these when I get to Ft. Drum, as I plan to use one of the bedrooms as a home gym, and the bedrooms are upstairs...although I may just stick with my "puzzle piece" gym mats.
Link Posted: 4/17/2021 6:40:17 AM EDT
[#12]
I would also recommend some 1.5" x 1.5" by 1/8" aluminum L channel.  Can get it in 8' sticks and screw it to the top to protect the top, sides and that corner. Can be mitered with a chop box really easily.  Here I did it on a workbench for my shop.  We routed it in so it was flush but definitely not necessary.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/17/2021 11:54:42 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote

I did not. I were going to, I would use 1/2” lag bolts and bolt it to the platform only.
Link Posted: 4/17/2021 1:08:16 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

I did not. I were going to, I would use 1/2” lag bolts and bolt it to the platform only.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah Rogue racks are heavy enough that they don't need to be bolted.  Lags would be the most I would do also.  If you're a cheap bastard like me and you have a 2x2 square tube rack, then you should use carriage bolts.

I ended up drilling four holes in the legs of my rack, then drilling through the holes all the way through the platform.  Then I took the platform apart, countersunk the bottom layer slightly, put 1/2" carriage bolts in, then rebuilt the layers,  somehow got the rack slid on the bolts, then tightened it all up.  It really sucked, but the rack does not move or wobble at all.

Attachment Attached File
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top