Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/7/2018 12:15:03 AM EDT
This will actually be a gift for my wife, so I’m hoping you guys can help me choose something nice.

The area is approximately 10’x10’ but could be a few feet bigger or smaller in either direction... ie 8x12, 10x6, 9x9 etc

She won’t be dropping heavy weights on it, area is mostly used for cardio/light lifting, lyft 4/beach body type workouts.

Here is what we have now:
Attachment Attached File

The softness is nice, it’s about 1/2” thick, but the tiles are always coming apart, and sometime the whole thing slides around a bit.

Preferably $200 or less

Any suggestions? Thanks
Link Posted: 12/7/2018 12:24:27 AM EDT
[#1]
TSC stall mats
Link Posted: 12/7/2018 12:30:19 AM EDT
[#2]
When I walked before I fucked up my hip those mats were so nice to walk on than anything else.
Link Posted: 12/7/2018 12:39:30 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
TSC stall mats
View Quote
I’ve considered those, but they feel really dense/hard

Also, concerned they would get your clothes and hands black/dirty

Any experience with them?
Link Posted: 12/7/2018 12:41:59 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

View Quote
I like mine. Buy them and lay them outside to offgass for a week before use.
Link Posted: 12/7/2018 1:10:41 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
TSC stall mats

They would be good for dropping weights on, but they're as hard as rubber can be, and they weigh a ton.
Link Posted: 12/7/2018 1:23:11 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
The softness is nice, it’s about 1/2” thick, but the tiles are always coming apart, and sometime the whole thing slides around a bit.

Preferably $200 or less

Any suggestions? Thanks
View Quote
Read you could just tape the bottom side and/or glue the tiles together if you don't want to buy something. Could be a decent short term fix.
Link Posted: 12/7/2018 8:52:09 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
TSC stall mats

I have the ones you cut off the roll, no problems getting dirty from them.

I doubled up the 1/4" thick mats. Just measured what I needed and had them cut me a huge piece, then cut what I needed off that.
Link Posted: 12/7/2018 10:23:54 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
This will actually be a gift for my wife, so I’m hoping you guys can help me choose something nice.

The area is approximately 10’x10’ but could be a few feet bigger or smaller in either direction... ie 8x12, 10x6, 9x9 etc

She won’t be dropping heavy weights on it, area is mostly used for cardio/light lifting, lyft 4/beach body type workouts.

Here is what we have now:
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/277150/4E4B89DD-B849-45A3-85A4-692C18CA7745_jpeg-763451.JPG

Preferably $200 or less

Any suggestions? Thanks
View Quote
Could you epoxy the current mats to the floor so they don't slip or come apart?
Link Posted: 12/7/2018 10:34:58 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
TSC stall mats
View Quote
This. Preferably the 3/4" thick ones. Let them sit outside for a few days when you get them. They can have a strong smell at first, which can be made worse in an enclosed space.
I don't think you would want a flooring that is too soft.
Link Posted: 12/7/2018 12:25:27 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 12/10/2018 1:49:32 AM EDT
[#11]
3/4” thick horse stall mats, cheapest and most durable.
Link Posted: 12/10/2018 1:52:06 AM EDT
[#12]
I went to a local rubber/hose store and was able to get 3/8" thick heavy rubber off a 4' wide roll.  A few strips of that has made a fantastic home gym floor.
Link Posted: 12/10/2018 4:39:04 PM EDT
[#13]
I like horse stall mats but they are very hard. Perfect for lifting. I've actually dropped weights on it very hard just to see what it would do and it didn't even leave a mark. I have both HSM and some older foam stuff that locks together like what you have a pic of. The foam feels a lot better on the joints when jumping around than the HSM but has a tendency as you noted to slide and come apart. Maybe a combination of both or step up to the professional grade foam stuff.
Link Posted: 12/11/2018 10:47:34 AM EDT
[#14]
I have stall mats but they're definitely kind of stiff.

How about a short nap carpet or astroturf? Or like a stiff carpet pad with 1/4" rubber flooring over it?

I had those puzzle piece foam things in my old basement (not even in a gym area, just on the floor) and I couldn't get them to stand up to regular traffic even by taping them. They were fine for standing (like in front of the washer/dryer) but just got beat up by normal shoed foot traffic.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top