Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/3/2003 1:25:57 PM EDT
Get rid of this extra fat on my waist?  The proverbial "spare tire"?  It's not real bad but I want to be trimmed doen and have a flat ab.  I'm 32 6'4"@220lbs run every day eat okay.  Can keep an 8 minute mile pace for what seems indfinitly.  So I'm thinking I have to speed up my pace or longer runs?  Right now I'm running anywhere from 1.5-3miles depending on weather outside and my hectic yet unemployed life.  I usually run around 5pm.  Should I change my time?  More situps?  Help!  I never had one of these spare tires until I hit 28 or so.  Gonna post this on the GD to get more diverse answers.
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 1:37:17 PM EDT
[#1]
valkyrie, you can't 'spot reduce' fat, your body is probably like mine and will lose fat on your stomach last.  so it'll be hard but it's possible.  You need to be eating multiple small meals.  about 4-5 a day atleast.  If all you do is run, that's not good.  Your body will adapt to running and it won't burn as many calories(as fast) as doing some other form of cardio.  Also, you have to realize that to burn fat you want your heart rate to be around 130-140.  running probably get's it over that.  and you don't start burning fat until after the first 20-25 minutes.  
try lifting some weights also.  if you build muscle you'll burn more calories during the day.

let me know what happens
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 11:10:29 AM EDT
[#2]
letsgetiton's gotit right.

just wanted to add that past a certain point in weight control your diet plays a huge role in shaping your body.  i am going to assume that you have a sit around type job... maybe i'm wrong.  you need to eat when you exert and fast when you are sedentary.  don't have a big breakfast or lunch and then sit at a desk for 6-8 hours and then run at 5 and eat a small dinner.

eat small all day and then larger a half hour after working out.  this trains your body to not store fat in the event of exercise.  note that i'm not saying to starve yourself during the day - just snack instead of having meals.  something healthy like a turkey and lettuce sandwich on whole grain or some carrots and *a little* ranch.

also, some light exercise in the morning - like a two mile run or jumping some rope - is a great way to kickstart your metabolism.
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 1:34:47 PM EDT
[#3]
twist, thanks.  Great point about getting your heart rate up in the morning.  that will make a world of difference.
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 4:51:01 PM EDT
[#4]

Try adding sprints and weight lifting to burn calories and boost your metabolism.

Link Posted: 6/15/2003 2:25:54 AM EDT
[#5]
Varied exercise and try to use as MANY muscles as possible.

Here are a few things...

1) when you eat many small meals low in fat and calories, your body does not see them as "low fat, low cal" so it gears up its metabolic machinery as if it was a regular meal.  Eating several small meals will increase your satiety (decrease hunger) as well as passively burn some extra calories.  Its not many, but every bit counts, right?

2) Muscles require ATP based on their size.  More muscle requires more ATP even at rest.  More ATP is made by burning sugar and then fat.  Building your muscle will increase how much muscle and fat you use and thus your weight loss

3) By varying exercise you use more muscle groups.  While running IS one of the best exercises, your muscles will adapt by selectively shrinking the muscles you use to run ESPECIALLY over long distances.  Thus, you can run longer (using less ATP from smaller and more efficient muscle cells) but will really burn less.  Vary the exercises and use many muscle groups.  Add sprints to bulk your muscles as well as lower body weight training.

4) make sure whatever you do its FUN for you.  if you hate what you do you wont stick with it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top