BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/12/2012 7:01:01 PM EDT
Yes or no?

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 5/12/2012 8:17:56 PM EDT
[#1]
Absolutely. Just because you are not tearing them down (muscles) on that day doesn't mean the are not trying to rebuild themselves.
Link Posted: 5/12/2012 8:22:51 PM EDT
[#2]
Protein every three hours.

When you're resting is when you're growing.
Link Posted: 5/12/2012 8:50:29 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Absolutely. Just because you are not tearing them down (muscles) on that day doesn't mean the are not trying to rebuild themselves.

This. Absolutely.
Link Posted: 5/13/2012 5:04:18 AM EDT
[#4]
K. I always have 45-50g in a shake within an hour of my without with a low carb meal, but wasn't getting a shake on off days. Then again, I'm not looking for hypertrophy, I'm looking for some definition and a decent amount of stregnth, like benching my bodyweight + 50lbs, and deadlift double.

Thanks!

Link Posted: 5/13/2012 9:12:44 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

K. I always have 45-50g in a shake within an hour of my without with a low carb meal, but wasn't getting a shake on off days. Then again, I'm not looking for hypertrophy, I'm looking for some definition and a decent amount of stregnth, like benching my bodyweight + 50lbs, and deadlift double.

Thanks!

There is no firming or toning. There is only stronger and weaker.  Want to look firm/tone/defined?   Get some fucking muscle.

"I'm not looking for hypertrophy"  translates to "I don't want to put muscle on." which further translates to "I want to be a stick-boy."  

In that case––- Do what Christian Bale did for -The Machinist-   eat an apple and a latte/day... and nothing else.  You'll get all defined.

Low carbs after your workout?  Why?   That is the time when you should pack carbs in... and keep the fat low...

Link Posted: 5/13/2012 4:01:04 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Any advice on how to do this?  Can't see protein shakes that often being optimal, need more solid stuff in your stomach right?
Link Posted: 5/13/2012 4:20:44 PM EDT
[#7]
why do you 'need' solid stuff?  

Your stomach essentially liquifies anything you put down there anyway...  

Link Posted: 5/13/2012 4:25:45 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Any advice on how to do this?  Can't see protein shakes that often being optimal, need more solid stuff in your stomach right?

I do one protein shake a day, right before bed. The rest is meals.

8-10 oz lean meat (chicken breast, turkey, beef, tuna, eggs) cooked weight

1-2 cups carbs (brown rice, red potatoes, grits, whole wheat pasta, oatmeal)

1 cup green veggies (broccoli, asparagas, green beans)

I cut the carbs back in the afternoon/evening when I'm trying to lean out a bit. It ends up being 6, sometimes 7 meals a day including the shake. On workout days I do a pre and post shake that take the place of one of the meals. It sounds like a lot of work but it's not that bad. I cook several pounds of each thing at a time and buy it all at costco. I've got the process streamlined pretty well by now.

I eat while I work. I wouldn't get shit done if I had to stop each time I ate, every 2 1/2 to 3 hrs.

Also, protein shakes are better than nothing. If you absolutely have no time to eat then throw down a shake, 30-50g of protein depending on your size. I started out doing this and it definitely works better than just three meals a day if your goal is to build muscle.

Link Posted: 5/13/2012 4:27:31 PM EDT
[#9]
^^ Casein shake before bed?

Just got a new job - in large part to another ARFCOMer, that was pretty awesome - working 12 hour shifts.  No idea what I'll be allowed to do meal-wise.
Link Posted: 5/13/2012 4:38:03 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

^^ Casein shake before bed?

Just got a new job - in large part to another ARFCOMer, that was pretty awesome - working 12 hour shifts.  No idea what I'll be allowed to do meal-wise.

No, regular whey blend. Used to use Hydro Whey by O.N., which is the easiest/fastest to absorb but switched back recently.

Link Posted: 5/13/2012 4:39:22 PM EDT
[#11]
I pack what I need in tupperwares, then throw it all in a cooler that goes with me to work. To make 'em all at the same time takes me about 15 min in the morning.
Link Posted: 5/13/2012 5:18:40 PM EDT
[#12]
I do low carb because its what got me 100lbs lighter, to where I am today.

My goal is to be reasonably strong, and look it. Ive been a fatass all my life and weak as hell until now (though still weak compared with anyone that's done anything remotely physical for a job) and I don't have any intent of being fat again.

For the record, I work an office job in the ND oilfield and workout 4-5times a week. I get a decent lowcarb diet here at mancamp as long as I stay away from the pastry chef's row of crack-filled deliciousness.

Link Posted: 5/15/2012 3:23:38 PM EDT
[#13]
Yes.
Link Posted: 5/15/2012 3:29:28 PM EDT
[#14]
FWIW, I got tired of spending tons of money on protein and forced myself to eat eggs in the AM; something I've never done my whole life as I used to hate them.  Overall lean muscle mass is the same if not better.
Link Posted: 5/15/2012 3:50:44 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Quoted:

This sort of nonsense is based of "The thermogenic effect of food" and the idea that protein gets absorbed at a certain rate so you have to continually add it to the system.
Both have been thoroughly debunked over and over.  
Junk science.  
Because digestion doesn't happen in a vacuum, you can eat 1-6 meals a day and end up with the exact same amount of protein digested and the exact same bowel movement you would with any given system.
As for eating on rest days, treat them like heavy load days without the carbs.  
You need to those aminos for recovery.  Period.  It takes up to 48 hours to recover (can be longer) so sucking down a shitty whey shake after a workout isn't going to cut it.
As a rule, start tracking your macros (Protein, carbs, fats)  and try to get lean body mass or target body weight in protein a day.  If you are a 600 pound fatty and want to be a lean mean 175 fighting machine, make sure to get at least 175 grams of protein a day.  If you are shooting Winny, test, and HGH in your right eye everyday and cycling like it's the end of the world to get to 250 pounds of muscle you would eat 250 grams of protein at a minimum.
I wouldn't suggest any man working out trying to build muscle OR lose weight go below 150 grams of protein a day.
There are many formulas to figure your bottom end of protein requirements.  Use google to find them (because you will find a wealth of other information at the same time.  Any site that uses the tern "toned" or "fat burner" should be ignored).
––-below is a link to a crossfit blurb that links to sites that debunk the 6 small meals a day nonsense.  It's bad 90's science that belongs in the trash with "fat is bad for you" and "you need carbs for your brain to work".  I don't eat low carb at all, I just hate bad science and you wont find a group more into CURRENT nutritional studies than your average box.  BB tends to be stuck in the 90's and bro-science hurts a lot of what they pioneer and do better than anyone else (diet, exercise, build).
http://www.crossfitintrepid.com/2012/04/30/debunk-meal-frequency/

More from Pubmed

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19943985?ordinalpos=&itool=EntrezSystem2.PEntrez.P
 ubmed.Pubmed_ResultsPanel.SmartSearch&log$=citatio  nsensor

leangains

http://leangains.blogspot.com/2008/07/excerpt-from-my-upcoming-book.html

If you WANT to eat six small meals and it works for you, go for it.  The science is junk but your results are not.  

Link Posted: 5/15/2012 5:19:14 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

This sort of nonsense is based of "The thermogenic effect of food" and the idea that protein gets absorbed at a certain rate so you have to continually add it to the system.

Both have been thoroughly debunked over and over.  

Junk science.  

Because digestion doesn't happen in a vacuum, you can eat 1-6 meals a day and end up with the exact same amount of protein digested and the exact same bowel movement you would with any given system.

As for eating on rest days, treat them like heavy load days without the carbs.  

You need to those aminos for recovery.  Period.  It takes up to 48 hours to recover (can be longer) so sucking down a shitty whey shake after a workout isn't going to cut it.

As a rule, start tracking your macros (Protein, carbs, fats)  and try to get lean body mass or target body weight in protein a day.  If you are a 600 pound fatty and want to be a lean mean 175 fighting machine, make sure to get at least 175 grams of protein a day.  If you are shooting Winny, test, and HGH in your right eye everyday and cycling like it's the end of the world to get to 250 pounds of muscle you would eat 250 grams of protein at a minimum.

I wouldn't suggest any man working out trying to build muscle OR lose weight go below 150 grams of protein a day.

There are many formulas to figure your bottom end of protein requirements.  Use google to find them (because you will find a wealth of other information at the same time.  Any site that uses the tern "toned" or "fat burner" should be ignored).

––-below is a link to a crossfit blurb that links to sites that debunk the 6 small meals a day nonsense.  It's bad 90's science that belongs in the trash with "fat is bad for you" and "you need carbs for your brain to work".  I don't eat low carb at all, I just hate bad science and you wont find a group more into CURRENT nutritional studies than your average box.  BB tends to be stuck in the 90's and bro-science hurts a lot of what they pioneer and do better than anyone else (diet, exercise, build).

http://www.crossfitintrepid.com/2012/04/30/debunk-meal-frequency/

More from Pubmed

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19943985?ordinalpos=&itool=EntrezSystem2.PEntrez.P  ubmed.Pubmed_ResultsPanel.SmartSearch&log$=citatio  nsensor

leangains

http://leangains.blogspot.com/2008/07/excerpt-from-my-upcoming-book.html

If you WANT to eat six small meals and it works for you, go for it.  The science is junk but your results are not.  

That's nice.

Like I've said before, I get my nutrition info and training program from one of, if not the best trainers of IFBB pros in the world.

You can adopt whomever's theory that you're most comfortable with, but what I do works.
Link Posted: 5/15/2012 7:27:38 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Thanks!

There is no firming or toning. There is only stronger and weaker.  Want to look firm/tone/defined?   Get some fucking muscle.

"I'm not looking for hypertrophy"  translates to "I don't want to put muscle on." which further translates to "I want to be a stick-boy."  
In that case––- Do what Christian Bale did for -The Machinist-   eat an apple and a latte/day... and nothing else.  You'll get all defined.

Low carbs after your workout?  Why?   That is the time when you should pack carbs in... and keep the fat low...

While I do agree with most of what you said, muscle hypertrophy doesn't make you strong. Look at Richard Hawthorne. Guy is 132lbs soaking wet and can deadlift 610 for 4 reps easy peezy.

Powerlifting = shocking the hell out of the CNS, not muscle hypertrophy
Link Posted: 5/17/2012 2:22:32 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Thanks!

this. if your trying to build muscle, eat. on off lifting days I do Hiit and right after I have a shake, I also have one in the morning and one around 9pm.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top