BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 769
Link Posted: 3/22/2023 6:38:40 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By KaiK:

Just need to be good at falling. Snowboarding is a great way to learn that.  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By bluemax_1:

A LOT of people get hurt from falls on level ground every day. The idea of strapping wheels to their feet SHOULD scare the crap out of them, especially when they have a whole lot of excess tonnage, and no appreciable athleticism.

Breakfall practice/training in Martial Arts has by far saved me the most often out of everything I've learned.

Just need to be good at falling. Snowboarding is a great way to learn that.  

I learned at age 12, and to this day I still think that's the most bruised I've ever been. I couldn't imagine trying to learn as an adult.
Link Posted: 3/22/2023 7:08:16 AM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By Domnior:

Do you use that exclusively for deads or is it good enough for bench/squat/etc too?

I badly need a better bar but I'll only be able to swing one so I need something that can be a jack of all trades.
View Quote

Deads only. It has crazy whip.  It bounces like crazy on squats and bench.

The normal Rogue Ohio bar is a good all around bar.
Link Posted: 3/22/2023 7:09:41 AM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By bluemax_1:

We joked that learning to snowboard can be a PITA (when you catch that back edge, lol), but I know a few folks with no breakfall practice who had concussions because they didn't tuck their chin, and bounced their melon off the hardpack.

Breakfalls and rolling were already instinctive when I began boarding, to the point where I caught a back edge one time while still new, immediately tucked and rolled into a flip, right back to my feet, and continued boarding down the slope.

My buddy said, "Did you just do that instinctively, when you caught an edge? Cuz it was so smooth, it looked like you did it on purpose, to show off"
View Quote

Yep, tuck and roll.
Link Posted: 3/22/2023 6:40:55 PM EDT
[#4]
i just started doing this a few weeks ago after doing Olympic weightlifting for about 3 years.   I like that the workouts are short and to the point.

Got a comp next week (squat, dead, press) so that should be interesting.  I havent maxed dead or press in a long time.
Link Posted: 3/23/2023 12:36:54 AM EDT
[#5]

Was really shooting for 13
Link Posted: 3/23/2023 12:37:16 AM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By Iguana775:
i just started doing this a few weeks ago after doing Olympic weightlifting for about 3 years.   I like that the workouts are short and to the point.

Got a comp next week (squat, dead, press) so that should be interesting.  I havent maxed dead or press in a long time.
View Quote

Good for you.
Link Posted: 3/23/2023 6:49:52 AM EDT
[#7]
The UPS guy fucking hates me.

He dropped a 115 lb cylinder head at the shop yesterday and goes "What the fuck man, hope you brought your muscles"

So I shouldered it and carried it in.

He's gonna be really pissed when I drop it off at the store and he has to take it back because it was the wrong one.
Link Posted: 3/23/2023 6:50:45 AM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By 03RN:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4HUz70sBGuA

View Quote

Was that your top set for the day? Because that would actually kill me....I would be dead.

Nice job.
Link Posted: 3/23/2023 8:07:37 AM EDT
[#9]

View Quote

Goddamn lol.

Nicely done. I’m hoping to get back to being able to do ONE at 405.
Link Posted: 3/23/2023 10:33:42 AM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By sitdwnandhngon:

Was that your top set for the day? Because that would actually kill me....I would be dead.

Nice job.
View Quote

Yeah, 3 sets of pullups and 3 sets of barbell rows(225x10) was all I could manage.
Originally Posted By moximouse:

Goddamn lol.

Nicely done. I’m hoping to get back to being able to do ONE at 405.
View Quote

Where are you at right now? Whats your routine look like?
Link Posted: 3/23/2023 11:37:17 AM EDT
[#11]

View Quote

Damn. Get some.
Link Posted: 3/23/2023 11:39:24 AM EDT
[#12]
196.5lbs for 3 bench. That last one was rough but I got it up and into the rack. Whole back locked up on that one. Took a minute to unlock.
Link Posted: 3/23/2023 1:26:16 PM EDT
[#13]

View Quote

Damn! Nice, man!
Link Posted: 3/23/2023 4:51:50 PM EDT
[#14]
I got a bag of sand and loaded up the sandbag. I weighed it and it came in at 57lbs. Now to watch some YouTube videos for the best way to get it ground to shoulder.
Link Posted: 3/23/2023 6:37:52 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By MAbowhunter:
I got a bag of sand and loaded up the sandbag. I weighed it and it came in at 57lbs. Now to watch some YouTube videos for the best way to get it ground to shoulder.
View Quote

I love sand bag training. Can’t do it much outdoors due to snow and mud. But, when it’s late spring and summer I bear crawl and drag it through my arms and legs, farmers carry for long distance, throw it as far as I can, lay down flat on the ground and put it on top of me and get up with the most minimal assistance if at all with my arms…

I have an old work bench I don’t use much and I drag that outside and throw it over it and then jump up on the bench to the other side, pick up the bag and throw it back over and repeat. Just a great addition. Let us know what you come up with.
Link Posted: 3/23/2023 8:54:58 PM EDT
[#16]
Pulled 455# for a double on deadlift.  felt pretty easy.  I havent done heave DL since I tore my bicep a year and a half ago.
Link Posted: 3/24/2023 12:53:22 AM EDT
[#17]
View Quote

I'll be interested in seeing what you do
Link Posted: 3/24/2023 12:54:32 AM EDT
[#18]
Pulled 455# for a double on deadlift.  felt pretty easy.  I havent done heave DL since I tore my bicep a year and a half ago.
View Quote

What are you going to shoot for for your match?
Link Posted: 3/24/2023 12:55:18 AM EDT
[#19]
Benched 315 for a double tonight. It's been a long time since I did that.
Link Posted: 3/24/2023 7:49:52 AM EDT
[#20]

View Quote

Cardio!
Link Posted: 3/24/2023 7:52:14 AM EDT
[#21]
The UPS guy fucking hates me.

He dropped a 115 lb cylinder head at the shop yesterday and goes "What the fuck man, hope you brought your muscles"

So I shouldered it and carried it in.

He's gonna be really pissed when I drop it off at the store and he has to take it back because it was the wrong one.
View Quote

I did that at Best Buy when I bought a new TV.  Soy boy and a girl were struggling to carry the TV to my truck.  "This is really heavy." I just grabbed it a put it in my truck.
Link Posted: 3/24/2023 7:53:40 AM EDT
[#22]
View Quote

You tore your bicep doing deads?
Link Posted: 3/24/2023 8:11:04 AM EDT
[#23]
Meh...I don't compare myself to the average citizen in my age group.  Set the bar higher...LOL.

If you work out at all and put any effort into eating some what healthy you are far ahead of the average if you're over 30 years old.  Keep doing it into your 40's and 50's and you will be elite compared to the average person that age.

I helped a guy move his couch and load it into his truck.  Not heavy just to long and awkward for one person.  I was walking backwards with it and when we got to his tailgate I just jumped onto the tailgate with both feet at once while holding my end of the couch.  Kind of like a sideways box jump while holding one end of the couch.  After we got it into the truck he said man that was impressive.  I said...what?  I literally didn't even know what he was talking about because I did it without much thought and didn't think it was abnormal like anyone should be able to do that.

Link Posted: 3/24/2023 11:04:31 AM EDT
[#24]
365lbs for 3 squats. I might have had 1 more in me but I left it at 3, didn't want to risk getting stuck.
Link Posted: 3/24/2023 11:15:26 AM EDT
[#25]
Got 3 of the 5 sets of 10 on deadlift at 225 before I ran out of time.
Link Posted: 3/24/2023 6:04:04 PM EDT
[#26]

What are you going to shoot for for your match?
View Quote

Not entirely sure. My personal best is 495. But I’d like to get over 500. With how easy 455 felt I think it might be possible
Link Posted: 3/24/2023 6:05:02 PM EDT
[#27]

You tore your bicep doing deads?
View Quote

No. Picking up plywood
Link Posted: 3/25/2023 3:35:15 PM EDT
[#28]
Remember, nobody raps about little butts.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 3/25/2023 7:33:07 PM EDT
[#29]

No. Picking up plywood
View Quote

Must have been a lot of plywood.
Link Posted: 3/25/2023 7:57:40 PM EDT
[#30]

View All Quotes

No. Picking up plywood

They worst I ever went down with a back spasm was when bending over to pick up the handles on an empty wheelbarrow.

We spent the whole day building a chimney with heavy ass blocks....and an empty wheelbarrow dropped me to my knees. I was out of work for 3 days.
Link Posted: 3/25/2023 10:03:18 PM EDT
[#31]

They worst I ever went down with a back spasm was when bending over to pick up the handles on an empty wheelbarrow.

We spent the whole day building a chimney with heavy ass blocks....and an empty wheelbarrow dropped me to my knees. I was out of work for 3 days.
View Quote

That sucks.
Link Posted: 3/27/2023 11:51:50 AM EDT
[#32]

View Quote

no, it wasnt.  that's why it was so annoying.   it was about a 3/4 sheet of plywood.  not even a full sheet.  with all the weight lifting I do and exercising.....it was house work that did it.  oh well.
Link Posted: 3/27/2023 1:49:22 PM EDT
[#33]
First sandbag workout complete. Farmer's carry down and back for 4 sections of fence. 2 laps with each hand. That's after the regular workout including all the accessories.
Link Posted: 3/28/2023 10:51:27 PM EDT
[#34]

no, it wasnt.  that's why it was so annoying.   it was about a 3/4 sheet of plywood.  not even a full sheet.  with all the weight lifting I do and exercising.....it was house work that did it.  oh well.
View Quote

That's crazy.
Link Posted: 3/31/2023 1:09:55 AM EDT
[#35]
I wasn't really in the mood to lift tonight. So I had an easy workout.
Link Posted: 4/1/2023 10:14:32 AM EDT
[#36]
I wasn't really in the mood to lift tonight. So I had an easy workout.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XmW4XXCE8tY
View Quote

Easy and 585 don't belong in the same sentence

I've been slowly working my squats back up but my legs/knees haven't been feeling great with a lot of little random pains the last month or so. It felt decent this week though and I was able to get 295 for 8 reps.

Also did dumbbell press with 100s for 10 reps yesterday, I love dumbbells but rarely get to use them so I felt pretty happy with that.
Link Posted: 4/1/2023 4:35:58 PM EDT
[#37]
Great fucking day for me at my comp. First for old guys and second over all in my weight division. 474# squat, 200# press and 507# dead. Been trying to break 500 on dead for years. All of these were PRs for me be a lot and still has had in the tank. Especially happy about press since about 4 years ago my max is 160.   Got videos on my Instagram if anyone is interested. Same user name here.
Link Posted: 4/2/2023 1:07:40 AM EDT
[#38]
Fuck me. My neck is messed up again. Some discomfort and noticeable strength loss on right side. Alcohol helps though…
Link Posted: 4/2/2023 8:08:13 AM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By frayedknot:
Fuck me. My neck is messed up again. Some discomfort and noticeable strength loss on right side. Alcohol helps though…
View Quote

Bones or muscles?

I've had issues with my rhomboids since I was about 30. They get so tight I can't even turn my neck sometimes, it's a constant fight with them.

I still don't really even understand what happens, but it's especially bad after being on knee boards all day. I've considered going in for dry needling to see if it can help at all.
Link Posted: 4/2/2023 8:28:44 AM EDT
[#40]
Great fucking day for me at my comp. First for old guys and second over all in my weight division. 474# squat, 200# press and 507# dead. Been trying to break 500 on dead for years. All of these were PRs for me be a lot and still has had in the tank. Especially happy about press since about 4 years ago my max is 160.   Got videos on my Instagram if anyone is interested. Same user name here.
View Quote

Great job man
Link Posted: 4/2/2023 12:29:14 PM EDT
[Last Edit: grady] [#41]
View Quote

Nice job, man!

You guys are keeping me motivated. Road to recovery is going fairly well. Adding 20 lbs/week on deadlift and squat and 10/week on bench and press and today the bar is moving real fast.

I’m hoping to be back above 500/400/300/200 by the end of May. Probably overly ambitious, but a guy’s got to challenge himself, right?
Link Posted: 4/2/2023 12:54:01 PM EDT
[#42]
View Quote

That sucks.  I had a neck issue that caused me two months of the worst pain of my life.  I didn't sleep at all, just did laps around my house in the middle of the night trying not to cry.  It eventually went away, but I don't wish those issues on anyone.
Link Posted: 4/2/2023 2:00:38 PM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By grady:

Nice job, man!

You guys are keeping me motivated. Road to recovery is going fairly well. Adding 20 lbs/week on deadlift and squat and 10/week on bench and press and today the bar is moving real fast.

I’m hoping to be back above 500/400/300/200 by the end of May. Probably overly ambitious, but a guy’s got to challenge himself, right?
View Quote

You got this.
Link Posted: 4/2/2023 3:07:51 PM EDT
[#44]

You got this.
View Quote

Thanks. I may have forgotten to mention that I’m gonna try to do it without regaining the weight I’ve lost since November.

It’s gonna suck.
Link Posted: 4/2/2023 4:50:49 PM EDT
[#45]

Bones or muscles?

I've had issues with my rhomboids since I was about 30. They get so tight I can't even turn my neck sometimes, it's a constant fight with them.

I still don't really even understand what happens, but it's especially bad after being on knee boards all day. I've considered going in for dry needling to see if it can help at all.
View All Quotes

Bones or muscles?

Disks pressing on the nerves. Had an issue 12 years ago or so where I had pain and lost 75-80% of my strength on my right side. Rehabbed without surgery. It’s been a long time since I’ve aggravated it this bad and I have no idea what did it. It’s usually shitty body positioning when working under the jeep.
Link Posted: 4/2/2023 4:58:05 PM EDT
[#46]
That sucks. Have you tried an inversion table or anything?

My dad swears by hanging upside down....every time I try it my knees pop and nothing else happens though.
Link Posted: 4/2/2023 5:00:27 PM EDT
[#47]
All my lifts stalled this week. Going back to waking up at 4am for work and then actually working will do that I guess.

I'm going to mess around with Cody Leever's General Gainz programming a bit to see how it jives with working.

Basically you hit a top set with a rep max for the day, then you leave the same weight on the bar but do 4 more sets at half the reps you got on your top set. If things are moving easily you have the option of 1-3 additional half sets. The idea is to push up your top set maxes before adding weight.
Link Posted: 4/3/2023 12:39:29 PM EDT
[#48]
After using the rope less jump rope for a few weeks I tried the real jump rope again to see if there was any cross over. I still can't use a real jump rope for love or money . Guess I'll just stick to the rope less one like the uncoordinated dunce that I am.
Link Posted: 4/3/2023 2:30:40 PM EDT
[Last Edit: dawg69] [#49]
After using the rope less jump rope for a few weeks I tried the real jump rope again to see if there was any cross over. I still can't use a real jump rope for love or money . Guess I'll just stick to the rope less one like the uncoordinated dunce that I am.
View Quote

I'm right there with you. Almost 43 and have never made it over two consecutive jumps in my life.
Link Posted: 4/10/2023 9:32:08 AM EDT
[#50]
I think I've figured out why my ohp has been tanking. I noticed on the BBB sets last week I was putting the bar way out in front instead of rocking back to get the bar past my face. Fixed that this morning and got 4 on the 3+ set. I had to fight through the right shoulder not wanting to activate on the first one but the rest went fine.
Page / 769
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top