Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/6/2002 7:58:49 AM EDT
Ok guys, I need some help.  Here's my stats; 5'8", 158lbs.  On the bench (flat, standard grip distance) I do a pyramid on the way up - 10 @135, 10 @225, 5 @275, 2-3 @295, 1-2 @315.  I  am completely stuck here.  I can't even break a third rep out at 315.  Unfortunately, I know I'm capable of doing more.  About a year and a half ago I was maxing 1-2 @340.  I had some major kidney problems which took me out for about a year, so I've been working back, but I've been stuck here for about 3 months and I'm getting frustrated.  I've tried dropping some of the reps at the low end to leave strength for the upper end, but it doesn't help.  I've tried just jumping into the heavy weight (after a good warm up) but it doesn't help either.  Any suggestions?
Link Posted: 5/6/2002 8:03:05 AM EDT
[#1]
Do you do flat benck flyes?  By working very heavy on flat bench flyes that normally helps me get over a sticking point.
Link Posted: 5/6/2002 8:40:08 AM EDT
[#2]
get a very strong and trusted friend that could spot you and do some "negatives."  Start at say 350 and have your friend slowly lower the weight as you try to push against the weight and hold it up.

The body is great at adapting but sometimes when you get stuck in a rut, you need a shoch to get make new gains.  It sounds like to me that you're body is just bored with the same routine.
Link Posted: 5/6/2002 9:55:43 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 5/6/2002 10:15:04 AM EDT
[#4]
This is JMHO, but I'd change your routine.  You're mixing heavy strength training with high reps.  Do one or the other.  For example:

3 sets-8-10reps@225-235 for 2-3 weeks
3 sets-6-8reps@255-275 for 2-3 weeks
4 sets-4-6 reps@275-295 for 2-3 weeks
5 sets- 1-3 reps@315+ for 2-3 weeks

Then, change to dumbell presses for 3 sets-10-12 reps for 2- 3 weeks.  Then repeat the first cycle but w/ slightly increased weight.  When doing the heavy week, warmup w/ singles until you get to 75% of your first working set.  3-4 warmup sets total.

Or, try taking a week off!
Link Posted: 5/6/2002 10:19:53 AM EDT
[#5]
BTW, for 158lbs., you are already very, very strong at bench for your weight.  There may be other body parts that are lacking?  Can you squat at least as much as you bench?  Your pulldown/pullup max should be 80% of your bench.  And your incline should beabout 80% as well.  Do you deadlift?  

Supersetting pullups or rows w/ bench can slighty improve your bench performance if done correctly.
Link Posted: 5/6/2002 1:01:53 PM EDT
[#6]
Go to dumb bells. It forces a balancing of strength between both arms. Do them with you feet on the bench - thereby making only your chest and arms do the work. Concentrate on heavy and wide.

Stick to this for 2 - 4 weeks then go back to the bar.

For the rest of us without such superhuman strength - when we all hit a plateau we might consider dumb bells and instead of a bench - one of the big plastic balls that people do ab work on - that my friends is a challange.

Remember, every "body" belongs to an individual. Thus what works for me - might not work for you.

Good luck
Link Posted: 5/6/2002 2:16:11 PM EDT
[#7]
Hmmm...I rarely max-out, but I'm guessing I could only put up three plates(315lbs) once or twice.  I weigh in at 210.  

Oh well, I have a six pack and a good squat routine. I'm more into bodybuilding than powerlifting/weight lifting anyway.  

It's still fun to throw all those 45's on there every once and awhile!  [:D]
Link Posted: 5/7/2002 4:32:39 AM EDT
[#8]
Shaggy, as a fellow Park Sloper, I could point you to my Gym.  (Dude, for your weight you are really strong!)

Try doing more of a Powerlifting workout.

135 x 4
135 x 4  (warm up)
225 x 4
275 x 2
315 x 1
335 x 1

Never do more than 4-5 in a set.
Do some accessories:

Incline.
Rack-bench (starting with the weight on your chest)

Work on your form:
Lift the weight from just below your upper-most abs.
Keep your elbows IN, allowing your triceps to brush your lats.
Email me at [email protected].
We do squat, bench, deadlift and beer.
Mondays (bench) and Thursdays.
Link Posted: 5/7/2002 5:33:27 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 5/7/2002 5:40:18 AM EDT
[#10]
What ever you do,do not let your workout pals know.I was at a max for 6months or so....they were spotting me.....each slipped on another plate whilst I thought they were just "collaring-up"the bar/weight....I lifted it like it was my max....[the bastards[whacko]
Link Posted: 5/7/2002 8:44:18 AM EDT
[#11]
To add a little info...

I do occasionally substitute dumbells for the bench work (currently maxing out at about 2-3 with 115's whereas I used to top out at 4-5 with 120's...which is also pissing me off).  My incline tops out at 255.  The only area I've really let go is the squats and legwork - constantly banged up my knees skiing and skating as a kid and then a few years ago tried to see how small I could compact my Subaru by slamming it into the back of a parked Mack truck at a fairly high rate of speed.  Never had them looked at but a few months after the accident, the knees started getting stiff and sore - working them even with moderate weight only seems to aggrevate them.  I do some squats and legwork, but I keep it light.

Cincinnatus -

I may have to look into your gym - Harbor Fitness on 5th, right?  I go to NYSC and although I like it (lots of hotties there!), for the most part the staff are twinkies who think I'm already at my limit.  I don't like hearing that when I know I'm capable of more.

You mentioned the rack-bench - do you mean the Smith machine?

For triceps I often do a reverse grip press on the flat bench, like you mentioned - close grip stance, elbows in tight, pressing from the mid-abs.  Really isolates and works wonders for the tri's but comparatively, I can't handle much weight that way (I usually do 3-4 sets of 10 @135 that way and then move on to tri pushdowns on the cables or weighted dips)
Link Posted: 5/7/2002 9:21:30 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
What ever you do,do not let your workout pals know.I was at a max for 6months or so....they were spotting me.....each slipped on another plate whilst I thought they were just "collaring-up"the bar/weight....I lifted it like it was my max....[the bastards[whacko]
View Quote

LMFAO!!![}:)]
Link Posted: 5/7/2002 2:10:47 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Cincinnatus -

I may have to look into your gym - Harbor Fitness on 5th, right?  I go to NYSC and although I like it (lots of hotties there!), for the most part the staff are twinkies who think I'm already at my limit.  I don't like hearing that when I know I'm capable of more.

You mentioned the rack-bench - do you mean the Smith machine?

View Quote

No shaggy, I haven't been to Harbor for a while (though it IS a well put together gym).
I work out at an Iron-worker/sculptor friend's shop. Lots of home-made racks.

The rack-bench, is when you get inside the squat cage, and set the safety bars so that when the BP bar rests on them, the bar sits heavily on your chest. Sometimes you put a belt under one end of the bench, so you can really wedge the bar onto your chest.
So, rather than lift off, go down, come up...
You start at the bottom and explode.
Helps build good form, and the speed and momentumn needed to bust through the slow-battle areas of your heavier sets.

Say the word, and I'll bring you by anytime.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top