Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 3/15/2006 9:27:59 PM EDT
its ok to ship a long gun to another resident of NY correct?

ill write a reciet out for my records to show that i transfered it to him, and the date...

just triple checking.

Link Posted: 3/15/2006 11:58:06 PM EDT
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 7:35:11 AM EDT
If you are shipping to a non-licensee you must disclose to the common carrier (UPS, FedEX etc) that it is a firearm and it must also be sent adult signature required.

Keep in mind that several cities in NY have additional restrictions on assault weapons and/or magazines that are stricter then NYS law.

It's not worth the potential hassle to me so I personally wouldn't do it unless I knew the person.

Link Posted: 3/17/2006 2:19:53 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/17/2006 2:23:22 AM EDT by ThatFalGuy2]
rkbar15,
I may be way off base here but I thought that the last thing that the shipper(Dieter1212) or the carrier(UPS, USPS, FedEx, etc....) wants is for the carrier to know that a longarm is the contents of the package.
In my experience this is true of the USPS, and they don't require it be signature delivery, though I have not shipped a longarm through the other common carriers as of yet. Good to know if that is indeed required as I will stick with the USPS, for instate, C&R or FFL transfers.

Thanks, Sean.

Also that's a +1 on copy of DL and statement, most PO's have zerox, takes $0.15 and 30 seconds to write, should anything ever arise.....

edited for spelling
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 4:10:34 AM EDT

Originally Posted By ThatFalGuy2:
rkbar15,
I may be way off base here but I thought that the last thing that the shipper(Dieter1212) or the carrier(UPS, USPS, FedEx, etc....) wants is for the carrier to know that a longarm is the contents of the package.
In my experience this is true of the USPS, and they don't require it be signature delivery, though I have not shipped a longarm through the other common carriers as of yet. Good to know if that is indeed required as I will stick with the USPS, for instate, C&R or FFL transfers.

Thanks, Sean.

Also that's a +1 on copy of DL and statement, most PO's have zerox, takes $0.15 and 30 seconds to write, should anything ever arise.....

edited for spelling

your 100% right I believe...

you dont have to disclose it to the carrier, but its HIGHLY RECOMMENDED by the ATF to do so.

Just like you dont HAVE to include your DL in with a rifle if you send it to a FFL out of state, but they do that just to cover their own asses in case the rifle is stolen/hot.

Most people dont know you CAN ship guns in the mail, informing them would only cause uneeded problems, until they called up their supervisors and got the A-OK, which could be hours or days.

Ive both shipped AND recieved rifles via USPS
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 9:18:52 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/17/2006 9:19:35 AM EDT by rkbar15]
Federal law requires you to notify a common carrier if you are shipping a firearm to an non-licensee. If you are shipping to a licensee (dealer, gunsmith, manufacturer etc.) then notification is not required.

If you are using the USPS to ship a long gun the USPS has the right to inspect the firearm to verify that it is unloaded.
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 1:57:58 PM EDT

Originally Posted By rkbar15:
Federal law requires you to notify a common carrier if you are shipping a firearm to an non-licensee. If you are shipping to a licensee (dealer, gunsmith, manufacturer etc.) then notification is not required.

If you are using the USPS to ship a long gun the USPS has the right to inspect the firearm to verify that it is unloaded.

should I call them beforehand to let them know what im shipping, or should I show up and leave it in the car, then give them the heads up, walk out and get the package?

I dont want to create a scene
Top Top