Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/15/2006 9:27:59 PM EDT
its ok to ship a long gun to another resident of NY correct?  

ill write a reciet out for my records to show that i transfered it to him, and the date...

just triple checking.

Link Posted: 3/15/2006 11:58:06 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 7:35:11 AM EDT
[#2]
If you are shipping to a non-licensee you must disclose to the common carrier (UPS, FedEX etc) that it is a firearm and it must also be sent adult signature required.

Keep in mind that several cities in NY have additional restrictions on assault weapons and/or magazines that are stricter then NYS law.

It's not worth the potential hassle to me so I personally wouldn't do it unless I knew the person.

Link Posted: 3/17/2006 2:19:53 AM EDT
[#3]
rkbar15,
  I may be way off base here but I thought that the last thing that the shipper(Dieter1212) or the carrier(UPS, USPS, FedEx, etc....) wants is for the carrier to know that a longarm is the contents of the package.
  In my experience this is true of the USPS, and they don't require it be signature delivery, though I have not shipped a longarm through the other common carriers as of yet. Good to know if that is indeed required as I will stick with the USPS, for instate, C&R or FFL transfers.  

Thanks, Sean.

Also that's a +1 on copy of DL and statement, most PO's have zerox, takes $0.15 and 30 seconds to write, should anything ever arise.....

edited for spelling
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 4:10:34 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
rkbar15,
  I may be way off base here but I thought that the last thing that the shipper(Dieter1212) or the carrier(UPS, USPS, FedEx, etc....) wants is for the carrier to know that a longarm is the contents of the package.
  In my experience this is true of the USPS, and they don't require it be signature delivery, though I have not shipped a longarm through the other common carriers as of yet. Good to know if that is indeed required as I will stick with the USPS, for instate, C&R or FFL transfers.  

Thanks, Sean.

Also that's a +1 on copy of DL and statement, most PO's have zerox, takes $0.15 and 30 seconds to write, should anything ever arise.....

edited for spelling

your 100% right I believe...

you dont have to disclose it to the carrier, but its HIGHLY RECOMMENDED by the ATF to do so.

Just like you dont HAVE to include your DL in with a rifle if you send it to a FFL out of state, but they do that just to cover their own asses in case the rifle is stolen/hot.

Most people dont know you CAN ship guns in the mail, informing them would only cause uneeded problems, until they called up their supervisors and got the A-OK, which could be hours or days.

Ive both shipped AND recieved rifles via USPS
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 9:18:52 AM EDT
[#5]
Federal law requires you to notify a common carrier if you are shipping a firearm to an non-licensee. If you are shipping to a licensee (dealer, gunsmith, manufacturer etc.) then notification is not required.

If you are using the USPS to ship a long gun the USPS has the right to inspect the firearm to verify that it is unloaded.
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 1:57:58 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Federal law requires you to notify a common carrier if you are shipping a firearm to an non-licensee. If you are shipping to a licensee (dealer, gunsmith, manufacturer etc.) then notification is not required.

If you are using the USPS to ship a long gun the USPS has the right to inspect the firearm to verify that it is unloaded.

should I call them beforehand to let them know what im shipping, or should I show up and leave it in the car, then give them the heads up, walk out and get the package?

I dont want to create a scene
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top