Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 3/5/2006 1:52:30 PM EDT
I, being a good citizen of the Commonwealth, have a CCW and would like to continue to exercise my right to carry...

my only problem is, I dont have a gun I like carrying...

I am picky in that I am a big guy, and as such, want something close to full size, I do not like a hanging pinky or something like that...

I also am a .45 caliber junky....

I have tried just about everything at this point...you name a sig, H&K, or glock and I have likely tried it...looked at the new XDs, dont like them either....

So, I have figured I should stick with what I like, and that is a 1911...i use a TRP Operator as my home/bed gun, and I have a wonderful custom job (think the punisher's guns)...but I dont think I can carry either of those...and I have a run of the mill, 1991A1...

I was thinking, what the helll, I'll carry the 1991A1...I know I can shoot it...I like the gun....but I think I need to get some work done on it if it is going to be a carry piece...like a trigger job, dehorned, mayber get the hammer and grip safety smoothed, and reliability job done on it...its a great range gun, but it has to be perfect to be my carry gun...

I run into two dilemnas here though...

1) Is it worth getting the work done? I wont lie, this gun is the rugged gun a 1911 should be...it is the old parkerized finish, has wear...should I get custom work done on a beater gun? (its not a REAL beater gun, but it has obviously been lovingly used)...or should I just try and buy another gun? one of the more loaded springfield, colt, or kimber models?

2) If I decide to get the work done, who should I get to do it? I need to trust the work, and I need it not to take forever or cost a fortune...this means local if possible...I live in Orange, so NoVA is likely best bet for smiths for me...

thanks for any help or advice
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 2:57:02 PM EDT
looks like this debate may be closed...gonna try my hand at the kimber tac pro

anyone want a 1991A1?
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 3:45:38 PM EDT
Did you buy the one from Terrapin's?
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 5:00:14 PM EDT
i did indeed, cleaned it up nice...it needed a good strong cleaning, fixed up the springs, etc...
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 5:18:18 PM EDT
I had it in my hand a couple times, I am glad you bought it. Now I don't have to worry about it calling me any longer.
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 5:22:10 PM EDT
hahaha unless i can convince you to buy it from me ;)
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 8:27:46 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/7/2006 8:30:54 AM EDT by highwayman]
I have a Sig 220 that I carry. It's my favorite pistol. Did you ever try a Sig 225? A lot of people forget about that one. It's nice. Has the ergonomics of a 226/220, but is a little smaller, like the 228. I know you said you wanted full-size .45, but look at that one.

If you want to stick with your big ol' 1911 and need a 'smith, check out Gilbert's small arms range in Lorton. I've heard very good reviews about their work. Damage Inc. in King George might have a smith, don't know. That would certainly be closer for you if they do. If your 1991 is ugly it's easy to refinish with one of the more popular bake-on finishes. Let me know if you want more details. MJD
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 3:56:04 PM EDT
I was going to recommend Gilbert's or there is another smith in Stafford that does good work. Email inbound with smith info and 1991 question.
Top Top