Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/5/2006 1:52:30 PM EDT
I, being a good citizen of the Commonwealth, have a CCW and would like to continue to exercise my right to carry...

my only problem is, I dont have a gun I like carrying...

I am picky in that I am a big guy, and as such, want something close to full size, I do not like a hanging pinky or something like that...

I also am a .45 caliber junky....

I have tried just about everything at this point...you name a sig, H&K, or glock and I have likely tried it...looked at the new XDs, dont like them either....

So, I have figured I should stick with what I like, and that is a 1911...i use a TRP Operator as my home/bed gun, and I have a wonderful custom job (think the punisher's guns)...but I dont think I can carry either of those...and I have a run of the mill, 1991A1...

I was thinking, what the helll, I'll carry the 1991A1...I know I can shoot it...I like the gun....but I think I need to get some work done on it if it is going to be a carry piece...like a trigger job, dehorned, mayber get the hammer and grip safety smoothed, and reliability job done on it...its a great range gun, but it has to be perfect to be my carry gun...

I run into two dilemnas here though...

1)  Is it worth getting the work done?  I wont lie, this gun is the rugged gun a 1911 should be...it is the old parkerized finish, has wear...should I get custom work done on a beater gun? (its not a REAL beater gun, but it has obviously been lovingly used)...or should I just try and buy another gun?  one of the more loaded springfield, colt, or kimber models?

2)  If I decide to get the work done, who should I get to do it?  I need to trust the work, and I need it not to take forever or cost a fortune...this means local if possible...I live in Orange, so NoVA is likely best bet for smiths for me...

thanks for any help or advice
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 2:57:02 PM EDT
[#1]
looks like this debate may be closed...gonna try my hand at the kimber tac pro

anyone want a 1991A1?  
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 3:45:38 PM EDT
[#2]
Did you buy the one from Terrapin's?
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 5:00:14 PM EDT
[#3]
i did indeed, cleaned it up nice...it needed a good strong cleaning, fixed up the springs, etc...
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 5:18:18 PM EDT
[#4]
I had it in my hand a couple times, I am glad you bought it. Now I don't have to worry about it calling me any longer.
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 5:22:10 PM EDT
[#5]
hahaha unless i can convince you to buy it from me ;)
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 8:27:46 AM EDT
[#6]
I have a Sig 220 that I carry.  It's my favorite pistol.  Did you ever try a Sig 225?  A lot of people forget about that one.  It's nice.  Has the ergonomics of a 226/220, but is a little smaller, like the 228.  I know you said you wanted full-size .45, but look at that one.  

If you want to stick with your big ol' 1911 and need a 'smith, check out Gilbert's small arms range in Lorton.  I've heard very good reviews about their work.  Damage Inc. in King George might have a smith, don't know.  That would certainly be closer for you if they do.  If your 1991 is ugly it's easy to refinish with one of the more popular bake-on finishes.  Let me know if you want more details.  MJD
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 3:56:04 PM EDT
[#7]
I was going to recommend Gilbert's or there is another smith in Stafford that does good work.  Email inbound with smith info and 1991 question.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top