BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 6:31:55 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
It looks like we will be holding two seperate classes this year,  if enough members are interested. A Phase I class that will indenticle to last years three day class ( 1 day pistol+2 day carbine) and a Phase II class ( 1 day pistol+2 day carbine) that is designed to build on the skills learned in last years class. The Phase II class will also be open to anybody with past tactical school expierence, but members who attended last years class will get first shot at the available slots. Both classes can have a maximum of 14 students. I asked Blackwater for all available dates in spring and fall 2005. This is an attempt to avoid the summer heat of last years class. To run both classes at the same time will will need both of Blackwaters carbine ranges, so there are only a few open dates. I have listed the available dates below. I will pass on any new info as its becomes available.

Available Dates For Coarses:
Spring:
April 13,14,15 2005.
May 4,5,6 2005.
Fall:
October 5,6,7 2005.
November 9,10,11 2005.

Edited to add: discussion on 2004 class:AfterActionReport
(va-gunnut)

which dates are for phase I training?
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 6:37:35 AM EDT
[#2]

Originally Posted By GUN N 4FUN:

Quoted:
It looks like we will be holding two seperate classes this year,  if enough members are interested. A Phase I class that will indenticle to last years three day class ( 1 day pistol+2 day carbine) and a Phase II class ( 1 day pistol+2 day carbine) that is designed to build on the skills learned in last years class. The Phase II class will also be open to anybody with past tactical school expierence, but members who attended last years class will get first shot at the available slots. Both classes can have a maximum of 14 students. I asked Blackwater for all available dates in spring and fall 2005. This is an attempt to avoid the summer heat of last years class. To run both classes at the same time will will need both of Blackwaters carbine ranges, so there are only a few open dates. I have listed the available dates below. I will pass on any new info as its becomes available.

Available Dates For Coarses:
Spring:
April 13,14,15 2005.
May 4,5,6 2005.
Fall:
October 5,6,7 2005.
November 9,10,11 2005.

Edited to add: discussion on 2004 class:AfterActionReport
(va-gunnut)

which dates are for phase I training?

April 13,14,15 2005.
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 7:33:56 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Here are a few of the things I've already passed along to dinger.

I would like to see more work done with doing transitions, especially while moving.

I would like to see more drills done while moving.

More moving target drills, especially with the rifle.

More work on shooting from cover.

Definitely unknown distance range.

I also brought up the idea of doing some room clearing excercises. Paul has told me that Blackwater will not allow any live fire in the shoot houses until we want to do a phase 3 class. I figured even if we could do some dry runs through rooms on the the third day, just to prepare for a phase 3 class would be great.  I think some force on force time with simunitions would be great too.

Doug as our instructor again.

I agree with just about everything Anthony said but the unknown distance range.  Keep in mind that not everyone has a rifle capable of reaching out to 300m and beyond and imagine the time it will take to run a whole class through a lesson!  Remember we saw Grant's buddies using the unknown distance range?  Remember how only one or two of them were shooting while the rest were just standing on the platform?  Do you guys really want to spend half a day just standing around while you wait your turn?  I don't.

As well as Doug we should also request Mark Teideman (mark5pt56) and/or Ric Sutton as a second instructor.
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 8:24:52 AM EDT
[#4]
Doug was a great instructor, but I remember him saying he was still fairly new with the rifle.
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 8:26:02 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 9:21:58 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I actually told Paul that I thought half a day on the unknown distance range would be perfect.

If you have an AR you can hit out to 300 meters. Well, I can anyway.

I should have said, and probably meant to say, past 300m.  When I think of the UD range I think of 500+.  If we're only talking about shooting out to 300m then there is no reason to go to the UD range...might as well just go to the KD range.  

Personally I wouldn't be interested in any distance shooting for this class because even a half day on the UD range would be more standing around than I would care to do.  I'm more interested in CQB tactics and the other things you mentioned.  We only have 3 days and the stuff we covered last time seemed like an awful lot to cover in 3 days.  This time will be no different and we'll probably get more info than we did last time.  To break away from that to do distance shooting just isn't worth it to me.  If we extended the class to 4 or 5 I wouldn't mind breaking out the SAM-R but...

I should be going down to scope out (no pun intended) the UD and KD ranges this fall and I'll report my findings.  Who knows, maybe I'll want to arrange a completely separate class after I get a taste of it

As a side note, I'm going to plan on taking the 3 day pistol class this spring if anyone else is interested.  Here's a little review I did on the one day pistol class that you may be interested in too: One Day Pistol Class
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 12:16:21 PM EDT
[#7]
I just got off the phone with Blackwater. I did get a few things ironed out, but the complete itinerary for the phase II class is still a "Work in Progress". The dates for one Phase I class and Phase II class have been locked and are listed below. I also tentatively held three days in November for second Phase Phase II or I based on the number of interested members. Dates were very hard to come by because of Blackwater’s schedule.

CLASS DATES:
Phase I - April 13,14,15 2005
Phase II - October 5,6,7 2005
November 9,10,11 2005 - tentatively held to see if we can fill a 2nd class.

New Info:
- The cost for class has indeed gone up. The original quote of $675 was incorrect and the price will be $775 per student. This is Blackwater's new standard rate for any three-day class.
- We will not get to hand pick an instructor. I was informed this is not Blackwater policy.
- Unknown distance range time could be a problem. We could tentatively schedule a couple of hours on it, but that would be it. Blackwater obviously does not want our class to restrict any of their Military/LEO or Blackwater Academy training classes access to that range. We might be able to get some time there, but the Blackwater staff will make that decision.
- A five-day Phase II is possible. Cost will be $995
- Phase I class itinerary will be identical to last year.

I will be back on the phone tomorrow trying to nail down a solid itinerary for the Phase II class and will post any new information. No question it will include everything listed below. I just do not have a complete itinerary to post.

Phase II:
- more transitions drills
- more drills done while moving.
- moving target drills
- more work on shooting from cover.

Link Posted: 10/20/2004 12:33:24 PM EDT
[#8]
If there's any room left, I would like to do Phase I. Phase II would be nice too, but that depends on whether I can get into Phase I.
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 2:41:44 PM EDT
[#9]
VA-DINGER, THANKS A BUNCH. KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK. I HOPE TO MEET YOU THIS TIME AROUND IN PHASE II.
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 3:03:29 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 4:05:56 PM EDT
[#11]
When are you going to start looking for deposits?
I'm still interested in the Spring Phase I
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 5:04:49 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
When are you going to start looking for deposits?
I'm still interested in the Spring Phase I

It won't be till after the first of the year.  All money will be sent straight to Blackwater when you actually submit your registration and credential paperwork.  I do not want to handle people’s money.
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 7:40:26 PM EDT
[#13]
What type of credentials? Is a CCW permit required? Anything special needed of plain civilians?
Link Posted: 10/22/2004 3:38:44 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 4:34:03 PM EDT
[#15]
Any ideas about a 4 hour session on driving or Simunitions?

Just thinking,  we spend alot of time watching those 2 activities while we were reloading.

John
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 5:51:10 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Any ideas about a 4 hour session on driving or Simunitions?

Just thinking,  we spend alot of time watching those 2 activities while we were reloading.

John

Blackwater said no to any Simunitions training, its Military/LEO only. I did not ask about a driving coarse, maybe we can save that for Phase IV or V.
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 4:06:09 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 6:36:02 PM EDT
[#18]
i can handle the price for phase one for sure. As it stands im in for the apryl classif there are any spots open. Just let me know when and where to sign up. And if im lucky and there is an opening for phase 2 ill try that this year to. Keep me posted i would love to go thru this course.
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 11:42:18 AM EDT
[#19]
My current list of members interested in the April 13,14,15th 2005 Phase I class:

Hoplophile
JC_
TallGuyInSFL
PrivateJoker
Subzero
Hallmark_Ent
Stillie
Thebomber
The_Rock
ThellURider
lonewolfman007 + son
chris914
DarkViper
roscoe-p
GUN N 4FUN
Vinh

Anybody still interested please reply on this thread or contact me/VA-gunnut with an IM/email.

Link Posted: 10/29/2004 1:38:21 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 2:10:05 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
I beleive that lonewolfman's son is also interested in attending the class, so that should make one more.

10-4
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 4:15:23 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 4:20:26 PM EDT
[#23]
New Posts have been started for the different classes, please follow the links to them and post in there. Thanks!
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top