Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 1/31/2006 8:38:52 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/31/2006 11:09:49 PM EDT by NonConformist]
I am ordering a VLTOR Modstock kit and was wondering if any of y'all going to the campout (or before, if I get it in time) or any other SFLoridians can switch out, or help me switch out the buffer tube. I am tempted to try myself but dont have the tools and probably cant get them before going to Tallahassee on the 18th, plus I have never tried it and dont want to mess up my rifle by guesstimating

'preciate ANY help guys

NonC
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 3:13:15 AM EDT
I can help you out, IM me.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 5:23:33 PM EDT
IM sent
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 5:27:57 AM EDT
Changing out the stock/buffer is easy, and there isn't much that can go wrong if you're careful. I put a VLTOR on one of my Bushmasters, and it was about a 5 minute job (including several beer breaks in between).

Get an AR stock wrench from Brownells.

Open up the AR like your're going to strip it.

Remove the buffer & spring by depressing the retaining pin and sliding spring & buffer out the front.

Use the wrench to loosen the retaining ring on the buffer tube.

Unscrew old buffer tube/stock & remove from upper.

Screw VLTOR buffer/stock on upper, making sure that you don't screw it in too close to the buffer retaining pin, then tighten retaining ring with the wrench.

Replace buffer & spring from the front.

Finito.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 11:24:43 AM EDT
Out of Curiosity, how long are you going to be here in Tally, gonna have any free time? Let us locals know if you need anything.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 12:25:45 PM EDT
You really dont even need a stock wrench, you can use a strap wrench from home depot. I have seen people even use a screwdriver and hammer but I really dont recommend this method. It leaves a lot of dings and scratches.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 5:54:02 PM EDT

Originally Posted By FL_FlatTop:
Out of Curiosity, how long are you going to be here in Tally, gonna have any free time? Let us locals know if you need anything.

Probably around 2 weeks or so. One of these days Im gonna move back to Tallahassee, I HATE Tampa.

Link Posted: 2/5/2006 5:44:09 AM EDT
Thanks for the Help Osprey21. Don't know many people who would have driven almost 100 miles to help out someone on a SUNDAY morning. Thanks, now I know what I'm doing!
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 6:31:00 AM EDT
My pleasure.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 2:30:42 PM EDT

Originally Posted By NonConformist:
Thanks for the Help Osprey21. Don't know many people who would have driven almost 100 miles to help out someone on a SUNDAY morning. Thanks, now I know what I'm doing!

Well f**K!
Do you know how long I struggled putting together my first lower kit! If I knew Osprey made house calls.......

jj
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 3:15:22 PM EDT

Originally Posted By jjrockbush:

Originally Posted By NonConformist:

Well f**K!
Do you know how long I struggled putting together my first lower kit! If I knew Osprey made house calls.......

jj

Like Anyone Would Help You Anyway! Pshhhh!!!
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 6:41:44 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Regnar33:
You really dont even need a stock wrench, you can use a strap wrench from home depot. I have seen people even use a screwdriver and hammer but I really dont recommend this method. It leaves a lot of dings and scratches.

true, but like you said it damages the original stock.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 5:14:20 PM EDT
FL_FlatTop, we should definantly get together at the range or something while Im up there. I have a friend in Tallahassee who isn't an ArfComer yet and would like to meet up with some like minded people in his neck of the woods
Top Top