Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/31/2006 8:38:52 PM EDT
I am ordering a VLTOR Modstock kit and was wondering if any of y'all going to the campout (or before, if I get it in time) or any other SFLoridians can switch out, or help me switch out the buffer tube. I am tempted to try myself but dont have the tools and probably cant get them before going to Tallahassee on the 18th, plus I have never tried it and dont want to mess up my rifle by guesstimating

'preciate ANY help guys

NonC
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 3:13:15 AM EDT
[#1]
I can help you out, IM me.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 5:23:33 PM EDT
[#2]
IM sent
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 5:27:57 AM EDT
[#3]
Changing out the stock/buffer is easy, and there isn't much that can go wrong if you're careful.  I put a VLTOR on one of my Bushmasters, and it was about a 5 minute job (including several beer breaks in between).  

Get an AR stock wrench from Brownells.

Open up the AR like your're going to strip it.  

Remove the buffer & spring by depressing the retaining pin and sliding spring & buffer out the front.

Use the wrench to loosen the retaining ring on the buffer tube.

Unscrew old buffer tube/stock & remove from upper.

Screw VLTOR buffer/stock on upper, making sure that you don't screw it in too close to the buffer retaining pin, then tighten retaining ring with the wrench.

Replace buffer & spring from the front.  

Finito.  
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 11:24:43 AM EDT
[#4]
Out of Curiosity, how long are you going to be here in Tally, gonna have any free time?  Let us locals know if you need anything.  
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 12:25:45 PM EDT
[#5]
You really dont even need a stock wrench, you can use a strap wrench from home depot. I have seen people even use a screwdriver and hammer but I really dont recommend this method.  It leaves a lot of dings and scratches.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 5:54:02 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Out of Curiosity, how long are you going to be here in Tally, gonna have any free time?  Let us locals know if you need anything.  

Probably around 2 weeks or so. One of these days Im gonna move back to Tallahassee, I HATE Tampa.

Link Posted: 2/5/2006 5:44:09 AM EDT
[#7]
Thanks for the Help Osprey21. Don't know many people who would have driven almost 100 miles to help out someone on a SUNDAY morning. Thanks, now I know what I'm doing!
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 6:31:00 AM EDT
[#8]
My pleasure.  
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 2:30:42 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Thanks for the Help Osprey21. Don't know many people who would have driven almost 100 miles to help out someone on a SUNDAY morning. Thanks, now I know what I'm doing!

Well f**K!
Do you know how long I struggled putting together my first lower kit! If I knew Osprey made house calls.......

jj
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 3:15:22 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Well f**K!
Do you know how long I struggled putting together my first lower kit! If I knew Osprey made house calls.......

jj

Like Anyone Would Help You Anyway!  Pshhhh!!!
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 6:41:44 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
You really dont even need a stock wrench, you can use a strap wrench from home depot. I have seen people even use a screwdriver and hammer but I really dont recommend this method.  It leaves a lot of dings and scratches.

true, but like you said it damages the original stock.  
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 5:14:20 PM EDT
[#12]
FL_FlatTop, we should definantly get together at the range or something while Im up there. I have a friend in Tallahassee who isn't an ArfComer yet and would like to meet up with some like minded people in his neck of the woods
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top