Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 10/29/2003 2:50:55 PM EDT
Hey guys, My DSA STG58A is on its way, and just wondering what you guys use for lube for your FAL? Grease or Oil, I have some Militec-1 and think I may need some type of grease, what do you guys suggest?
Link Posted: 10/29/2003 4:15:12 PM EDT
Congratulations! I just built my first FAL, and am anxiously awaiting the day when I christen it.

This may or may not be of much use, but my FAL manual just mentions to oil:

-inside of slide
-bolt
-receiver bottom surface and slide groove
-bolt catch

Since nothing specific is mentioned, I use what I use for my other guns, which is any decent gun lube. I've been using MPro 7 gun oil lately, although I use CLP from time to time. The DSA web site may have suggestions, but I have been unable to find cleaning info there.

I think you'll be okay with any good gun lube. Others may step in and correct me if I'm wrong.

Enjoy that FAL! A friend of mine has a DSA. It is a very nice rifle.
Link Posted: 10/30/2003 5:44:44 PM EDT
Grease everything that is a bearing surface. Leave the gas rod dry, or it will collect fouling. If you only plan on shooting a few hundred rounds at a time, use a light grease to ease cleaning.

As for Oil, it will work but the receiver rails/bolt/carrier will wear faster. The rifle was design to use grease, just like the M-14.

Link Posted: 10/30/2003 6:29:05 PM EDT
Dano, I'm glad you corrected me on that. Is there a recommended grease to use? Any gun grease that is particularly better over the others?
Link Posted: 11/12/2003 5:14:26 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 11/12/2003 5:16:58 AM EDT by gotm4]
I just picked up a Tiger Stripe DSA SA58 Carbine. I'm going to use Tetra or TW25 on mine. And wipe down the exterior with CLP.
Top Top